LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Removing shark fin for roof wrapping.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-18, 05:50 PM
lizhekb
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Removing shark fin for roof wrapping.

I am think about wrapping the roof gloss black on my 13 starfire pearl.

The roof front edge has several paint chips, I did touch up it but the colour is not perfect. So I want to give it more protection by wrapping it and make it look better.

However, the shark fin is a problem for me. I did some research and found out that for the IS, it is pretty simple, just remove the rear dome light then the nut for the shark fin is visible.

Does this apply to LS too?

Anybody has done this before and would share some information on it.

Any idea would be appreciated.

A picture of my LS taken today. Just washed and applied with sealant and wax.
Old 06-11-18, 08:39 AM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Good question, I hope someone responds with directions. I looked into getting my roof wrapped, but the installer wouldn't do it unless I took the shark fin off and back on.
Old 06-11-18, 11:27 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

These have "hold down clips" on the under side of the roof so it looks like the headliner has to be dropped down in the rear to het your hand in there........ Not even close to the interior dome light to make it accessible like some cars.

Good news is that you only have to do it once!
The following users liked this post:
lizhekb (06-18-18)
Old 06-11-18, 03:15 PM
lizhekb
Driver

<div style="text-align:left;">
Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
<div style="text-align:left;">These have "hold down clips" on the under side of the roof so it looks like the headliner has to be dropped down in the rear to het your hand in there........ Not even close to the interior dome light to make it accessible like some cars.<br /><br />Good news is that you only have to do it once!</div>
Thank you for the input.

So remove the dome light assembly won't help.

Removing the headliner is not my option. It is too complicated. I would rather just wrap the roof and squeeze the edge around the shark fin. Then wrap the fin with 2 pieces vinyl.
Old 06-11-18, 04:06 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

"IF" I was having my roof wrapped I would definitely remove then reinstall the shark fin...... Removing the fin is time consuming but it is worth "doing it right" the first time. Maybe you can check with a local "high end" radio shop to have this removed then reinstalled.

BTW! Wrapping the roof in black will look nice and make your car stand out.
The following users liked this post:
lizhekb (06-18-18)
Old 06-11-18, 06:56 PM
lizhekb
Driver

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
"IF" I was having my roof wrapped I would definitely remove then reinstall the shark fin...... Removing the fin is time consuming but it is worth "doing it right" the first time. Maybe you can check with a local "high end" radio shop to have this removed then reinstalled.

BTW! Wrapping the roof in black will look nice and make your car stand out.
the gloss black roof looks good on white cars and a better protection for the edge.
Old 06-13-18, 10:07 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Is there a good vinyl brand to use? i heard the roof wrap doesn't last 5 years? Would they take off the roof drip side molding as well? There's a GS350 on youtube that had it's roof wrapped.
Old 06-14-18, 07:13 AM
lizhekb
Driver

Originally Posted by 3GSShoe
Is there a good vinyl brand to use? i heard the roof wrap doesn't last 5 years? Would they take off the roof drip side molding as well? There's a GS350 on youtube that had it's roof wrapped.
I would use 3M or Avery for they are good quality and easy to find.

I think they can last at least 3 years. And that's good enough for me. 100 dollar for 3 years protection and better appearance.

A proper installation would require to take off the rail which should be easy to do.
Old 06-14-18, 07:18 AM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

My roof is ceramic coated. I also have a starfire pearl LS. I wonder if the ceramic coating will prevent the vinyl from baking into the paint. I’ll be getting it wrapped as well. Just wish roof wraps were as durable as the XPEL/3M/SUNTEK PPF
Old 06-14-18, 05:03 PM
lizhekb
Driver

Originally Posted by 3GSShoe
My roof is ceramic coated. I also have a starfire pearl LS. I wonder if the ceramic coating will prevent the vinyl from baking into the paint. I’ll be getting it wrapped as well. Just wish roof wraps were as durable as the XPEL/3M/SUNTEK PPF
I don't know if it could apply on ceramic coated surface. Normally, the first step is to clean the surface to remove any dirt, sealant and wax.

I saw on YouTube someone applied the ceramic coating after wrapping, that may make the wrap last longer.
Old 06-14-18, 05:22 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I wanted to have my roof wrapped in gloss black, then went to the shop & found out to remove the fin they need to remove headliner.
This wouldn't have been an issue on a "normal" LS460, but because I have the Executive Package, there is a flip down TV screen & Air Purifier vents on the headliner.
They wanted to charge double just to get the liner off. I passed on that option, they said the could do it with the fin on, but would have a cut like in the back of the fin between the glass & fin.
I didn't want that either, stock it is.....for now.