LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone change out the wood trim?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 06:25 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Anyone change out the wood trim?

So the glossy reddish hue wood trim is not really my cup of tea but all the cars here with that sort of colour, I had an infiniti G35X way back and it had a nice matte wood trim which was more acceptable. I have seen cars with grey interiors with a nice black/grey sort of trim... I am tried looking at parts places but no luck any ideas on good ways I can change them out without spending thousands?
Old 06-13-18, 07:14 AM
vmdw1980
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

eBay is your best bet honestly. Look for individual pieces or, better yet, part out listings from wrecked cars. You could possibly get all wood trim for less than a grand if you search diligently.
The following users liked this post:
jdanielca (06-14-18)
Old 06-13-18, 09:20 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

It might actually be easier to remove, sand and refinish it to your color taste, using a matte polyurethane as the last step. I agree on the factory color - the reddish color and high gloss level actually makes it look fake.
jdanielca (06-14-18)
Old 06-13-18, 09:55 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Vinyl wrap it is the way to go with whatever color/finish floats your boat,
jdanielca (06-14-18)
Old 06-14-18, 03:17 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tec80
It might actually be easier to remove, sand and refinish it to your color taste, using a matte polyurethane as the last step. I agree on the factory color - the reddish color and high gloss level actually makes it look fake.
This is a good idea.. I wonder if it is wood veneer backed by plastic... which I guess is how it all is...question is how much refinishing can it handle... and how was the redness achieved....if I totally refinish the pieces it might affected the value of the vehicle... if I want to do it, it has to be done in a way that respects the integrity of the pieces... labour is cheap in Ukraine so would probably cost nothing to have them done here.

If the colour is in the lacquer then it can be taken off and a black/grey finish achieved similar to the factory, and reglossed. Because I do not think black/grey would look good matte. However if the colour has to remain because of the way it is finished, meaning if I change the colour, the wood grain will be hidden. then I would have to just take off the top coat and refinish it.

suggestions and comments would be appreciated
Old 06-14-18, 04:09 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 3GSShoe
Vinyl wrap it is the way to go with whatever color/finish floats your boat,
there are limited mono colour options as anything else would be tacky... but is a good and cheap option.
Old 06-14-18, 10:07 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I wish there were a easy way to just change out the wood, I remember the "real" wood trim in my GS was too orange and looked fake, looked faker then many simulated wood trims . I am surprised there are not more aftermarket solutions, biggest problem would be the steering wheel though, you would need a new steering wheel to change its wood color, some of the few aftermarket kits are fake wood.

Sanding and staining could be a option but most "wood" trim on cars aside from a Rolls Royce is a very fine sliver of wood/veneer glued on a piece of plastic, I would be worried about sanding through the thin wood or doing some other damage.
Old 06-14-18, 10:16 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 190 Likes on 149 Posts

My 08 seems to be solid wood trim? Not veneer? Stained to the color needed.
Old 06-14-18, 12:49 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
have you taken the pieces out? lol how is it possible?
Old 06-14-18, 04:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
Its a veneer. The steering wheel is solid, that’s all.
jdanielca (06-27-18)
Old 06-15-18, 01:49 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
So the glossy reddish hue wood trim is not really my cup of tea but all the cars here with that sort of colour, I had an infiniti G35X way back and it had a nice matte wood trim which was more acceptable. I have seen cars with grey interiors with a nice black/grey sort of trim... I am tried looking at parts places but no luck any ideas on good ways I can change them out without spending thousands?

I was thinking the same thing. I really don't like the rose wood color or whatever you call it. My interior is black and I think the black wood trim would look way better. I think the hard part is actually the steering wheel. Not sure how easy or hard it is, but it would definitely be the most expensive part.

I was thinking the easiest way would be to luck out and find a wreaked LS with what you want and try to swing a deal on all parts. Then try to sell your parts individually, but then again, who wants the red wood... not me.

I did see a kit that you could buy on ebay that you can just overlay but I'm sure that would look like crap... and then you would still have the steering wheel to deal with!

Like another poster stated if you are okay with a wrap that could be a solution as I have seen on other boards people wrapping with a carbon fiber look and from the pics it did look good.
jdanielca (06-27-18)
Old 06-16-18, 08:49 AM
xDe3JaYx
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't change out the wood trim but did vinyl wrap them with 3m gloss black vinyl. I changed the shift **** with a chrome one and steering wheel with the dark gray bird's-eye maple wood.

The following 3 users liked this post by xDe3JaYx:
Boomin (08-15-20), Chaos236 (06-17-18), jdanielca (06-27-18)
Old 06-16-18, 10:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,953 Posts

That looks pretty good, I like it!

Personally I don't mind the red stained wood, but thats me.
DavidinCT (07-30-18)
Old 06-16-18, 08:11 PM
RNelson
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi xDe3JaYx,

Did you do the wrap yourself? Any suggestions on installation? I'm thinking maybe ebony wood grain...

Thanks,

Rodney
Old 06-17-18, 03:36 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

+1 More detail the better!

Quick Reply: Anyone change out the wood trim?