LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

If I had one complaint . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-18, 07:05 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts
Default If I had one complaint . . .

Greetings. As you know, I love my car. The only thing I despise is the interior (mainly the armrests). Until I either find the proper upholsterer or upgrade my car, I just can't believe Lexus would allow such an interior disaster. Last Thursday-Saturday we had a new roof put on our home. We had to leave the cars outside. I took all the precautions I could using towels to cover the dash and cracking the windows to allow air flow. I even tried to find what shade I could since it was freakin hot and humid. I believe it hit 96 one day. Heat factor 101. Each time I got in my car, the doors were sticky like someone had just applied Elmer's Glue about 30 minutes prior. My dash was my big concern because if it cracks, I don't know what I'd do. Funny, I've driven Toyotas, Nissans and many others that I never even gave my interior a moment's thought. So far the dash is good albeit it discolored. I'm going to apply a nice coat of Lexal conditioner this afternoon. If anyone knows of something better, let me know.

#rantoff.
Old 06-18-18, 08:11 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

I don't think "conditoners" do anything other than give a false sense of security. If the dash hasn't got sticky or cracked yet, you're probably OK. Just get the armrests recovered (they can be removed from the back side of the door panel). $500-$600 and on your way, happy as a clam!
Old 06-18-18, 09:45 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 377 Likes on 259 Posts

I paid around $600 if I remember correctly to have my door panels wrapped in vinyl. Doesn't look quite as good as leather (comparing it to my LX570 that has leather everywhere) but I think I'm the only one who notices that. Either way, it looks a million times better than they did before. I have a very late production 2010 by the way... I'm one month away from my car being a 2011 production. So this problem extends deep into the production years.
Old 06-18-18, 12:46 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
Greetings. As you know, I love my car. The only thing I despise is the interior (mainly the armrests). Until I either find the proper upholsterer or upgrade my car, I just can't believe Lexus would allow such an interior disaster. Last Thursday-Saturday we had a new roof put on our home. We had to leave the cars outside. I took all the precautions I could using towels to cover the dash and cracking the windows to allow air flow. I even tried to find what shade I could since it was freakin hot and humid. I believe it hit 96 one day. Heat factor 101. Each time I got in my car, the doors were sticky like someone had just applied Elmer's Glue about 30 minutes prior. My dash was my big concern because if it cracks, I don't know what I'd do. Funny, I've driven Toyotas, Nissans and many others that I never even gave my interior a moment's thought. So far the dash is good albeit it discolored. I'm going to apply a nice coat of Lexal conditioner this afternoon. If anyone knows of something better, let me know.

#rantoff.
You mention your doors were sticky. I assume you mean door panels. If that’s the case, talk to your Lexus dealer about their replacement under warranty. There are many threads here discussing this matter.

I have an ‘11 460 and had all 4 panels replaced under Lexus “good will” warranty a year or so ago as many others have done. They replaced my glove box door also. Many have had their dashes replaced, all long after the regular warranty expired.

Not sure if they’re still doing this or not, but I wouldn’t waste any time in talking to them.

Good luck!

Old 06-18-18, 12:47 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you guys checked to see if you cars are covered by Lexus Extended service for the dash and door panels? The 2008 IS250 that I just replaced was covered due to the build date and my Lexus loyalty and service history. I noticed that my new 2007 LS460 that I picked up has the sticky dash issue and I called into the Lexus customer service. They opened a ticket and had me swing by the local dealership for them to inspect the condition. I did that last week and I am waiting to hear back if they will replace everything in my 2007.

The IS250 had dash and all four door panels replaced earlier this year.
Old 06-18-18, 02:01 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

It's funny, my 2007 has been outdoors all its life and I have no dash or door panel issues. My issues have been the drip rails and the deteriorating wheels. Of course I am in Massachusetts and don't get the extreme heat, except for today when it reached 90+!