LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Grom

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 02:09 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok, I'm still having issues with my VLine 2. Sometimes it loads and sometimes it doesn't. I cannot figure out the pattern. I have downloaded the latest software and firmware updates. Sometimes my back up camera comes up and sometimes not. Any tips/tricks to try? I can't even count how many times I have rebooted this thing.
Old 07-31-18, 03:47 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sadly I can only commiserate with you...mine once in a while won't start. And I normally would have to pull over & restart the car. Then the VL2 steering wheel icon would start displaying.
Old 08-01-18, 12:42 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Red97tj
As I wrote in my post #1, I finally download Pandora app on V2 as a work around. My point was other OEM.s & aftermarket head unit has Pandora loaded on it that just mirrors the Pandora on my phone so I can see it like the phone. Grom finally fixed the Bluetooth streaming so I can stream Pandora & Spotify from my phone now. V2 interface is not that fast or slick as the phone so I prefer to use the phone to do the heavy lifting & stream everything through Bluetooth.
To each their own. Music sounds so good from the factory system (compared to other stock systems) that I can't imagine losing steering wheel control and degrading the audio quality through a BT connection.
Old 08-01-18, 12:45 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Ok, I'm still having issues with my VLine 2. Sometimes it loads and sometimes it doesn't. I cannot figure out the pattern. I have downloaded the latest software and firmware updates. Sometimes my back up camera comes up and sometimes not. Any tips/tricks to try? I can't even count how many times I have rebooted this thing.
That stinks. On my 07 with parking assist I haven't suffered problems with my backup cam and have only had 1 instance where it didn't start up like it should have. That time I did have my phone plugged in via USB before starting the car. I don't know if that was a trigger or not ......

The other thing that may/may not be worth trying is wiping everything and starting fresh?

Things have been pretty silent lately in the large Grom thread in the ISF forum. I don't know if that means people are happy or no one ordered it because the original release was so botched.
Old 08-01-18, 12:53 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rehr0001
That stinks. On my 07 with parking assist I haven't suffered problems with my backup cam and have only had 1 instance where it didn't start up like it should have. That time I did have my phone plugged in via USB before starting the car. I don't know if that was a trigger or not ......

The other thing that may/may not be worth trying is wiping everything and starting fresh?

Things have been pretty silent lately in the large Grom thread in the ISF forum. I don't know if that means people are happy or no one ordered it because the original release was so botched.
i want the 7.0 upgrade
Old 08-02-18, 10:00 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
i want the 7.0 upgrade
I don't want it until it is stable, though
Old 08-23-18, 07:41 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Just downloaded the latest OTA SW and FW updates. We shall see if this truly stabilizes that it loads up every time I start the car. My back up camera however did not come on when I had it on the VLine input. The screen flashed briefly as if it was changing inputs when I switched into and out of reverse, however it did not change to the camera screen.

On another note, my car battery needed a recharge after returning from a nearly 2 week vacation. Do you think it's related to the VLine being installed? I also forgot to unplug my car charger.
Old 08-23-18, 07:44 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Just downloaded the latest OTA SW and FW updates. We shall see if this truly stabilizes that it loads up every time I start the car. My back up camera however did not come on when I had it on the VLine input. The screen flashed briefly as if it was changing inputs when I switched into and out of reverse, however it did not change to the camera screen.

On another note, my car battery needed a recharge after returning from a nearly 2 week vacation. Do you think it's related to the VLine being installed? I also forgot to unplug my car charger.
i doubt it's the Vline that killed your battery.. probably age..

If Vline has a power-leak.. it should affect a 2-3 day restart.
Old 08-23-18, 08:39 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I had the same problem with reverse on my LS460, but the latest OTA SW and FW updates cleared it up. I agree that the VLine is probably not affecting the battery, but ironically, I was out of the country for 2 weeks and my battery was shot when I came back. I could not recharge it and chalked it up to age, but will watch.

Other issues I’m experiencing...
1) when the car gets hot, then the VL2 unit will not start up. I park in a parking garage and it always starts up. Park in the sun on a 90°+ day and it’s 50/50 as to whether it will start up. This was frustrating during a driving trip when I stopped for lunch on separate days. The unit seems to have a heat problem, which makes it problematic in Louisiana.
2) Amazon Music still gets #180 errors and crashes occasionally
3) It takes a long time (irritating passengers) to get iPhone hotspot to sync with unit. I have to turn off hotspot and turn back on. Takes some 10-30 seconds to sync. So slow, that if I would have realized, I probably would not have bought the VL2 unit in the first place. Way to cumbersome and subsequently does not get used for short drives, defeating my initial value of having Waze up for every drive (I LOVE WAZE).
4) Waze requires a mouse to move to other selections on screen. Worthless without hotspot connectivity, but otherwise works well when synced
5) Apple CarPlay does not feel fluid like I’ve experienced in rental cars. It’s slower, with constant spinning wheels indicating its data access. Stopped using it.
6) Plex works great, but it's app can't seem to access the SD card
7) Only VLC player seems to access the SD Card. I will plan to add some music on it and see how it plays, but VLC is not very intuitive as mobile player.
8) The cumbersome factor for the apps, relative to driving, can get people in trouble and potentially cause wrecks. Make sure you always start your initial setup and apps while stopped, for safety purposes.

Overall, the VL2 is more stable with recent software updates, so that's good, but still cumbersome to use for me.