LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

TPMS Sensor replacement, the "joy" of doing it yourself, shared experience.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-18, 09:42 AM
Yannick
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default TPMS Sensor replacement, the "joy" of doing it yourself, shared experience.

Hi, I just thought I'd share the experience of changing a TPMS sensor for my 2007 LS600h (European model).
First off, European and USA models have different frequencies, this is important for 2 things:
1. Most website will give you the part number for the American version, IE the Toyota TPMS Sensor 42607-33021 315 mhz, or from Denso it's 550-0103
- see https://www.tpms.com/Toyota_TPMS_Sen...07-33021-t.htm or http://densoautoparts.com/
2. Europeans get shafted because there doesn't seem to be sales directly from the factory, Denso doesn't sell a compatible model so it results in hyper inflated prices. I couldn't get it under CHF140.- directly from Lexus/Toyota, and it was a pain to get the number out of them: Toyota VALVE SUB-ASSY TIRE 42607-50012. Thankfully there are some sellers on ebay for less, even with tax and 22.- extra cost from FedEx I ended up saving on it.
If you are not sure about the part number, try asking a Toyota dealer, the Lexus one wouldn't budge and tried to keep it a secret.

The Toyota part comes without a cap and nut, so either keep the old ones or get a TPMS Service pack (the denso one compatible with the american valve worked just fine), the part from Denso comes fully equipped.

That's for getting the part, now to program the ECU. I've seen the other thread about 2 sets of tires, but I used Techstream since I already got it.
(Side note: you can get a cheap techstream with a "VXDIAG VCX Nano Toyota and Lexus Diagnose and Programming Tool", however the vxmanager program that came with the tool was infected with a virus but you can download a newer version from their site which isn't infected, it does require Windows 7 though).
There's a tutorial for that here:

I programmed it just like in the tutorial, however It wasn't in the wheel yet, these things seem to stay "asleep" if they haven't been under pressure and it wasn't recognized by the car. The "issue" was fixed once the mechanic replaced the valve and it displayed the pressure directly after the car started, so keep that in mind if you program the sensor before it's on the wheel.

That's about it, have fun replacing it for a fraction of the cost if you ever need to.
The following 2 users liked this post by Yannick:
02gita (06-26-18), NotFasty (12-18-18)
Old 06-26-18, 03:47 PM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Thank you for the post. I am about to have new sensors installed in my tires and was wondering about pre-programming before the installation.

As for the TechStream, what version of cable and software did you purchase? 64bit or 32 bit?
Old 06-26-18, 10:44 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

What kind of cable are you using? I could not program the sensor I replaced and eventually just took it to
pepboys to get it done. It kept telling me

​​​​​​"ID registration failed due to a communication error with the ECU while in initialization mode."

​​​​​​"Terminate initialization by connecting TC and CG of the DLC3 for 30 seconds"
Old 06-27-18, 08:57 AM
Yannick
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdpresco
Thank you for the post. I am about to have new sensors installed in my tires and was wondering about pre-programming before the installation.

As for the TechStream, what version of cable and software did you purchase? 64bit or 32 bit?
Originally Posted by sha4000
What kind of cable are you using? I could not program the sensor I replaced and eventually just took it to
pepboys to get it done. It kept telling me

​​​​​​"ID registration failed due to a communication error with the ECU while in initialization mode."

​​​​​​"Terminate initialization by connecting TC and CG of the DLC3 for 30 seconds"
I basically purchased this thing here:
Amazon Amazon
The one for Toyota and usb connection ($79.99), it comes with a cd and what seems to be a fishy (I assumed cracked) version of techstream (but it does work, bitdefender didn't see anything wrong with it either) with 5'000 days license.
The usb plug on the connector had an issue that I "fixed" by pinching it a bit. It comes with a second software/driver that is needed for techstream to connect, but the version on the cd had a virus according to my scanner. The one on their website seems to be clean: http://www.allscanner.com/?page_id=8967&lang=en (VX Manager 1.4.2.0927.exe)

I found this blog post which explains how to properly install this thing as well since it doesn't really come with instructions:
http://blog.obdii365.com/2015/12/22/...no-for-toyota/

I got to know this product watching various DIY youtubers, don't remember which one mentioned it but there's plenty explaining how to use it as well once you search for it.
Old 06-27-18, 11:07 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

That plug must have the 2.0.1 firmware. Most of the adapters come with the 1.4.1 firmware which can't communicate properly. It's funny because I was able to program keys on my LS 430 with my cable that has the 1.4.1 firmware.