LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

460, 430 or RX350 for road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-18, 11:45 AM
Thomasin
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 460, 430 or RX350 for road trip?

Hi guys,

I am not sure which category of the forum should this thread reside. My girlfriend and elder sister (along with her kid) will travel from the other side of this planet to visit me during Thanks giving. I think to have a 2-week road trip from Houston,TX to visit various places in California (so plenty of time, not too ambitious and more importantly no rush) via Phoenix and Vegas on the way.

I have no experience to drive 500 miles+, so any comments or inputs from every one of you count. Which car should I use? My own" 2002 LS430 or 2010 LS460 or borrow my younger sister 2013 RX350? Personally I favour my 02' 430 because this car is so flawless and serene. I don't know why there is always a feeling that it is just a matter of time having my 460 to break down on the highway since the alternator issue. Should I take consideration of the cargo room so to use my sister's RX? This is worth mentioning: I am the ONLY DRIVER for this 3000 miles+ RT drive so comfort is an important criterion to consider (My girlfriend has just obtained her driving license for a month and not from the States, so better not to let her drive I guess).

Any factors should I consider for such a long road trip? Or any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!!
The following users liked this post:
igrip (08-14-23)
Old 06-29-18, 12:42 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Since you've asked this question on the LS460 forum, I can pretty much guarantee you'll mostly get advice to take the LS460 on your trip. I can attest to the fact that the LS460 is amazing on the road, eating up vast distances easily and keeping you rested and relaxed. I would think the LS430 would be pretty much the same - possibly even slightly quieter and smoother on the highway. It sounds like you're personally more comfortable with the LS430, so that would probably be the best choice for you. I think the RX would be a bit rougher and noisier on the road, so that would be my last choice for a long road trip (unless you really need the extra cargo space).
Old 06-29-18, 02:56 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

In my opinion the LS460 is the best long distance traveler you're going to find. That thing is a total beast on long distance highway trips, it just eats them up.
Old 06-29-18, 03:20 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

I agree with the others that the 460 or 430 would be best for a long drive. However, you are going at Thanksgiving. If snow is a possibility then the RX350 may be the way to go.
Old 06-30-18, 08:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasin
I don't know why there is always a feeling that it is just a matter of time having my 460 to break down on the highway since the alternator issue.
What alternator issue are you talking about?

The LS460 is one of the most reliable cars on the road, there is no reason at all to worry about your 460 breaking down on the highway unless it has some issue that you haven't proactively addressed.

The LS is a great highway cruiser, the RX is nice too, but nowhere near as nice as the LS.
Old 07-01-18, 06:35 AM
artesuave
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've owned a 430 prior to the 460 and would go with the 430 as it is a tiny bit quieter on the highway
Old 07-01-18, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I actually find my 460 is quieter than my 430 was on the highway.

You also have to think about technology. Do you stream audio off of your phone over bluetooth? Can do that in the 460 and RX but not the 430. No satellite radio in the 430 either.
Old 07-01-18, 09:25 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

As the two year owner of an '08 LS 460 L and the recent purchaser of a '17 RX 350 for my wife, I can say, without a doubt, the LS...either of them...will be more comfortable, return better mpg, and be quieter.

I bought my wife's RX a couple of months ago, in Denver, then booked it back to Fort Worth the same day. Six weeks later, we were back in CO, but took my LS, and the difference was amazing.

My LS was much, much smoother, and that's only partially because of air suspension and the long wheelbase. It was much quieter, and with a 22 gallon fuel tank, more than once, the cruising range was mid-to-upper 500 miles. Made over 600 on one tank, in fact.

I vote 460, as it is the perfect vehicle for the western US. It's a mile munching machine, and 500 miles is nothing for it. Now, don't expect to do 1,400 the first day, but you'll get more and more comfortable with it over this trip.

The LS 460 is the 21st century road-trip equivalent to a '74 Fleetwood, a '77 Town Car, or a '77 New Yorker Brougham.

Believe it or not, it's the areas which have nothing, like San Antonio to El Paso, which are exhausting, because of boredom.

I love to drive long distance, and 1K miles in 24 hours is child's play, but I'm unusual that way. My wife and I's two-up record on a motorcycle is 1,628 miles in 26 hours, all within the state of Colorado. Now that was a challenge, but it was still fun.

Last edited by mckellyb; 07-01-18 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
igrip (08-14-23)
Old 07-02-18, 11:49 AM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

We have an 07 LS and a 10 RX. I loive them both for different reasons. However there is no comparison on ride and comfort. The RX always seemed like a very smooth runner until I got the LS. Now when I get in the RX it seems primitive and rough riding. I often wonder what it will be like for me if I go back to something not in the luxury category... Anyway, better MPG, longer range due to bigger tank, smoothness of ride all favor the LS.
Old 07-02-18, 12:57 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

1+, to add RX is has wind noise when you go past 70. The Rx in general are more prone to noise. My ls had a slow leak in one of t he tires and ended up taking the Rx to Chicago it was not a great experience. (kid \test)in the LS my kids are sleeping in 30 mins, in the Rx they rarely sleep.
Originally Posted by mckellyb
As the two year owner of an '08 LS 460 L and the recent purchaser of a '17 RX 350 for my wife, I can say, without a doubt, the LS...either of them...will be more comfortable, return better mpg, and be quieter.

I bought my wife's RX a couple of months ago, in Denver, then booked it back to Fort Worth the same day. Six weeks later, we were back in CO, but took my LS, and the difference was amazing.

My LS was much, much smoother, and that's only partially because of air suspension and the long wheelbase. It was much quieter, and with a 22 gallon fuel tank, more than once, the cruising range was mid-to-upper 500 miles. Made over 600 on one tank, in fact.

I vote 460, as it is the perfect vehicle for the western US. It's a mile munching machine, and 500 miles is nothing for it. Now, don't expect to do 1,400 the first day, but you'll get more and more comfortable with it over this trip.

The LS 460 is the 21st century road-trip equivalent to a '74 Fleetwood, a '77 Town Car, or a '77 New Yorker Brougham.

Believe it or not, it's the areas which have nothing, like San Antonio to El Paso, which are exhausting, because of boredom.

I love to drive long distance, and 1K miles in 24 hours is child's play, but I'm unusual that way. My wife and I's two-up record on a motorcycle is 1,628 miles in 26 hours, all within the state of Colorado. Now that was a challenge, but it was still fun.
Old 07-02-18, 02:34 PM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd also go with the 460 for the reasons stated. However, you may have to institute number and size limits of checked baggage, with two women and a child on the trip.
Old 07-03-18, 08:56 AM
Thomasin
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW17LS
What alternator issue are you talking about?

The LS460 is one of the most reliable cars on the road, there is no reason at all to worry about your 460 breaking down on the highway unless it has some issue that you haven't proactively addressed.

The LS is a great highway cruiser, the RX is nice too, but nowhere near as nice as the LS.
I got the alternator replaced for my 460 last month. In case you are interested in the associated post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...lternator.html

I have just test-driven my sister's RX running at 70 mph (Do not dare to go beyond that as it is not my car) for a 60-mile drive to Galveston (an island near Houston). The experience is completely different. It offers a much wider visibility (not sure if this is the right word) seeing much more on the road than any of my LS. However, one aspect I do notice is that the ride is not as smooth as LS, at least to me the engine is not as quiet.
Old 07-03-18, 09:12 AM
Thomasin
Rookie

Originally Posted by mckellyb

It was much quieter, and with a 22 gallon fuel tank, more than once, the cruising range was mid-to-upper 500 miles. Made over 600 on one tank, in fact.

Um...I wonder if my 460 can travel 400 miles with one full tank, not to mention 500 or more. I always have a feeling that the fuel efficiency is not as good as it used to be (I have made a post about its cruising range started with 420 to 365 miles without a change in driving pattern while always only using premium grade fuel). Well, this is not what I worry because my girlfriend is going to pay half of the gas

The first day will be a warm-up, which is only a 3-hr drive to San Antonio. We plan to visit the Alamo of course and possibly the Seaworld (not sure if my sister kid can wait until visiting the one in San Diego). The following date, we will visit the limestone cave before departing for El Paseo in the afternoon. I agree the exhausting part comes with El Paseo...literally seeing nothing until we hit Phoneix....

Any advice for a first-timer like me doing long distance road trips? I hope I don't need to ship my car back to Houston after reaching California .

Last edited by Thomasin; 07-03-18 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-03-18, 09:20 AM
Thomasin
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You also have to think about technology. Do you stream audio off of your phone over bluetooth? Can do that in the 460 and RX but not the 430. No satellite radio in the 430 either.
You have made a very critical point!

I never listen to any music while with my 430. There can be nothing better than the tranquil drive that the engine offers!

In contrast, I always feel grateful having the ML in my 460 to overwhelm the roaring during acceleration.

Never have experience with such a long drive. You think better to stay quiet with 430 or have some music with 460?
Old 07-03-18, 09:23 AM
Thomasin
Rookie

Originally Posted by artesuave
I've owned a 430 prior to the 460 and would go with the 430 as it is a tiny bit quieter on the highway
I guess we are all spoiled by 430. God I am still at the times of 2002-2006.

Quick Reply: 460, 430 or RX350 for road trip?