LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Won't start, no lights, no message on dash, no noise.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-18, 05:33 AM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Won't start, no lights, no message on dash, no noise.

So I just bought an LS460 2007 140k. I took it home and next day doesn't start, doesn't do anything at all. I don't even know where to start...... please help!
Old 07-10-18, 06:14 AM
LuvmyLS
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Dead battery. If it’s that dead, it likely needs a new one.
Old 07-10-18, 06:32 AM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Yes, dead battery, but there are a couple things to check because something drew it down overnight. Since the car is brand new to you, I wonder if somehow you pressed the START button after shutting it off. Otherwise check for something left on, or it could be a faulty door switch. If you bought it from a dealer, have them check it out.
Old 07-10-18, 09:44 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I know this is a simplistic answer, but is the smartkey nearby? I had mine in my purse in the truck once and it wouldn't start. Needed to be closer. Does the battery for the smartkey need replacing?
Old 07-10-18, 02:37 PM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

You need to try turning on the headlights with the stalk control on the side of the steering wheel. If the headlights will come on, then you need to consider another simplistic possibility: that you left the dealership with the wrong key. If the headlights will not come on then the starting battery is dead.
The following users liked this post:
jamodeo (07-10-18)
Old 07-11-18, 03:52 PM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all. Thank you for replies. This is not a dealership car. I was frantic when I wrote the post, sorry for the lack of detail. My last car was push start button but when the battery went out it still responded to the key fob and had light on the dash. I am having over a million problems with the car at the moment and have been so busy with that. Ill write another post about it. The car had already had a new battery at the end of last year. A jump did the job and it starts and runs since. My mechanic suggested there is a short or a few shorts somewhere which may also be why all the other problems are happening.
Old 07-11-18, 05:03 PM
jmcraney

Received 264 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Legus
Hi all. Thank you for replies. This is not a dealership car. I was frantic when I wrote the post, sorry for the lack of detail. My last car was push start button but when the battery went out it still responded to the key fob and had light on the dash. I am having over a million problems with the car at the moment and have been so busy with that. Ill write another post about it. The car had already had a new battery at the end of last year. A jump did the job and it starts and runs since. My mechanic suggested there is a short or a few shorts somewhere which may also be why all the other problems are happening.
There are a couple of thing you need to keep in mind.

There is a common problem with these cars that causes the headlights to remain on after the ignition is turned off, causing the battery to be depleted. So, for the near term you should monitor your car's headlights to ensure that they automatically extinguish properly. If the headlights are illuminated when the ignition is turned off, and you exit the car and close all the doors and trunk, the headlights should automatically extinguish after a delay (the delay is customizable: 0-30-60-90 seconds). If you are experiencing this problem, let us know and I am sure someone will steer you to some helpful information.

The other thing that you should keep in mind is: when the battery is fully discharged it is usually damaged by that event and will need to be replaced. Jump starting and/or charging doesn't fix this problem. To be sure about the condition of your battery, you need to have it tested by a knowledgeable battery technician. Fully charging the battery and testing each cell with a hydrometer is best.

Also jump starting these cars may cause an initialization problem. Jump starting is OK in an emergency but you should then fully charge the battery and then disconnect it for about 30 minutes and then, being sure the ignition is off, reconnect the battery and start the car. That will allow the car's electronics to be properly initialized.

Last edited by jmcraney; 07-11-18 at 05:21 PM.