LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone here upgraded their brakes? Bigger callipers? Bigger rotors and pads?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 02:52 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 226 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
"Do a full brake bleeding by the book (i.e., by Lexus brake bleeding procedure with Techstream)." what do you mean by that exactly, I'm asking because if I have a non lexus place do my brakes I need to know if I need to have this procedure re-done else where or?
---
MBodall is right. What I meant is to use Toyota Techstream to bleed your brake system. It is a relatively straightforward process. You can do it yourself if you are comfortable with using computers. I have been thinking of posting a tutorial for brake bleeding with Techstream on LS460 but haven't had time to do it yet. Basically, do the following steps:
1. Disconnect the negative terminal from the car battery (to avoid accidentally triggering VSC/ABS brake malfunction alerts);
2. Replace rotors and pads;
3. Reconnect the negative terminal to the car battery;
4. Connect Techstream to the car;
5. Go to the ABS/VSC/TRC screen in Techstream;
6. Select the "Air Bleeding" function Techteam;
7. Follow the instruction in Techstream step by step to bleed the brakes in the order of
a) front passenger side brake;
b) front driver side brake;
c) rear passenger side brake; and
d) rear driver side brake.
8. After you finish the above steps, you'll have fully bled the braking system per Lexus procedure.
Notes:
a. You need another person to help you with the bleeding proccess;
b. The front brake bleeding process is the same as the old way of brake bleeding - press the brake pedal and release the bleeding screw repeatedly;
c. The rear brake bleeding process is like the old Toyota 4runner bleeding process (press the brake pedal and hold on it until no air bubbles coming out the brake tube);
d. This full brake bleeding process will consume approximately 60 oz of DOT3 brake fluid (2 bottles of 32oz Preston DOT3 synthetic brake fluid should be sufficient);
e. Be patient and follow the Techstream instruction step by step.
f. Ensure that your car battery is fully charged before bleeding the brakes (my car battery was not fully charged and died in the middle of bleeding, which created a small crisis);
g. Unless you need to refresh and update ECU's by connecting to Toyota online databases (which most of us don't need), a Version 1 Mini VCI cable (about $20 on eBay) is sufficient for bleeding brakes and many other maintenance tasks.
Good luck.
-----
Old 07-13-18, 11:00 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
---
MBodall is right. What I meant is to use Toyota Techstream to bleed your brake system. It is a relatively straightforward process. You can do it yourself if you are comfortable with using computers. I have been thinking of posting a tutorial for brake bleeding with Techstream on LS460 but haven't had time to do it yet. Basically, do the following steps:
1. Disconnect the negative terminal from the car battery (to avoid accidentally triggering VSC/ABS brake malfunction alerts);
2. Replace rotors and pads;
3. Reconnect the negative terminal to the car battery;
4. Connect Techstream to the car;
5. Go to the ABS/VSC/TRC screen in Techstream;
6. Select the "Air Bleeding" function Techteam;
7. Follow the instruction in Techstream step by step to bleed the brakes in the order of
a) front passenger side brake;
b) front driver side brake;
c) rear passenger side brake; and
d) rear driver side brake.
8. After you finish the above steps, you'll have fully bled the braking system per Lexus procedure.
Notes:
a. You need another person to help you with the bleeding proccess;
b. The front brake bleeding process is the same as the old way of brake bleeding - press the brake pedal and release the bleeding screw repeatedly;
c. The rear brake bleeding process is like the old Toyota 4runner bleeding process (press the brake pedal and hold on it until no air bubbles coming out the brake tube);
d. This full brake bleeding process will consume approximately 60 oz of DOT3 brake fluid (2 bottles of 32oz Preston DOT3 synthetic brake fluid should be sufficient);
e. Be patient and follow the Techstream instruction step by step.
f. Ensure that your car battery is fully charged before bleeding the brakes (my car battery was not fully charged and died in the middle of bleeding, which created a small crisis);
g. Unless you need to refresh and update ECU's by connecting to Toyota online databases (which most of us don't need), a Version 1 Mini VCI cable (about $20 on eBay) is sufficient for bleeding brakes and many other maintenance tasks.
Good luck.
-----
GREAT thanks for the info, I wont be doing this myself but it would help with whomever I get to do it.

a bit off topic but seems like you guys know about this program, can it be used to say change my displays to metric.. what other magic can it do lol
Old 07-14-18, 07:35 AM
Tlutrick
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad I read this. I just replaced my rotors with: Power Stop JBR1350XPR & JBR1304XPR Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Power Stop Z231282 (Z23-1282) & Z231283 (Z23-1283) Ceramic Pads.

I know that some will say it’s hard to tell the difference, but I seem to feel that the stopping is more controlled. I know the rotors needed to be turned so I decided to step it up. Call it vanity, but they really look cool.

What concerns me now is that I don’t have access to TechStream. My Lexus dealer is 80 miles away and the local Toyota dealer turns their nose up at working on Lexus, so I take my wallet where it’s appreciated. Is it worth taking it in to have this procedure?
Old 07-14-18, 05:51 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 226 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlutrick
Glad I read this. I just replaced my rotors with: Power Stop JBR1350XPR & JBR1304XPR Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Power Stop Z231282 (Z23-1282) & Z231283 (Z23-1283) Ceramic Pads.

I know that some will say it’s hard to tell the difference, but I seem to feel that the stopping is more controlled. I know the rotors needed to be turned so I decided to step it up. Call it vanity, but they really look cool.

What concerns me now is that I don’t have access to TechStream. My Lexus dealer is 80 miles away and the local Toyota dealer turns their nose up at working on Lexus, so I take my wallet where it’s appreciated. Is it worth taking it in to have this procedure?
------
If your brake system works fine, you don't have to bleed the brakes. Lexus US requires that LS460 brake fluid be replaced every 30K miles. However, some folks skip this brake maintenance service without experiencing brake problems. Personally, I adhere to Lexus maintenance schedule because I want to keep my car in good running condition, and also because I am handy and can do all the maintenance work on my own. I also have the knowledge and the tools to do it.
-------