LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Leather Seat Dye

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 01:47 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
Waste of money. Just buy another used piece on eBay for the same money, or less, and either install it yourself or have it installed.
I'd love to have been able to do that but as you can see I'm in Canada and shipping from the US is ridiculously expensive (to say nothing about customs fees, etc.) Looking at the prices from the "parts sellers" in the previous thread I figure it would cost me 3X to 4X the repair cost to replace the seat. There aren't that many wrecking yards with Lexus of a recent year in them up here (I couldn't even find one with 2003 Camry wheel covers a few months ago!)

I also did try the Woolite trick with a soft toothbrush and it wouldn't even touch those stains. It lightened up some of the dirt around the bolster a bit but not enough to make any real difference....and there is that hole that needs to be fixed. Unfortunately someone before me was a little too aggressive with the brushing and cut through the protective layer down to the leather so there's not much to do except get the damaged pieces replaced.

Edit to LexusNAZ... the shop will remove the seat, pull the covers, cut new leather for the four pieces (2 bolster pieces upper and lower), stain, resew and reinstall.

Thanks for the replies though: appreciate the responses.

Last edited by Tootsall; 04-09-19 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 02:14 PM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootsall
I'd love to have been able to do that but as you can see I'm in Canada and shipping from the US is ridiculously expensive (to say nothing about customs fees, etc.) Looking at the prices from the "parts sellers" in the previous thread I figure it would cost me 3X to 4X the repair cost to replace the seat. There aren't that many wrecking yards with Lexus of a recent year in them up here (I couldn't even find one with 2003 Camry wheel covers a few months ago!)

I also did try the Woolite trick with a soft toothbrush and it wouldn't even touch those stains. It lightened up some of the dirt around the bolster a bit but not enough to make any real difference....and there is that hole that needs to be fixed. Unfortunately someone before me was a little too aggressive with the brushing and cut through the protective layer down to the leather so there's not much to do except get the damaged pieces replaced.

Edit to LexusNAZ... the shop will remove the seat, pull the covers, cut new leather for the four pieces (2 bolster pieces upper and lower), stain, resew and reinstall.

If they will replace all that leather for $250 sounds very reasonable.
Old 04-09-19, 02:59 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you post some pics of the end result!
Old 04-09-19, 04:03 PM
lizhekb
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootsall

hi I am also in Canada and is looking for a good leather repair for my ls460. I am in toronto. Looking forward to see the end result of yours.
Old 04-09-19, 04:17 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

Will do. The work is booked for this Thursday. I will have to let it “set” for a few days and then apply some protectant but anything would look better than what currently “is”. On this topic, if I were to eventually spring for a replacement with the thigh extender, would the electrical connectors be the same as current? (8-way).

These are the guys doing the work: http://micropaintlethbridge.com/
Old 04-09-19, 04:29 PM
Red97tj
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusNAZ
Replacement is best yet it takes a lot of labor and skill with hog rings and a weekend to remove re-skin and re-install the seats. The re-dye is an affordable fix that will last 3+ years repair would be viable (That is what the dealership does). Something needs to be done before the crease rips completely. The only problem the leather is so soft that a used seat unless its perfect will be another ticking time bomb.

Lseat.com has a replacement leather skin for the seat for $299.00
Actually it's not that hard to recover the seats these days. Most of the seat covers doesn't use hog rings anymore. It's mostly sewn in plastic retaining strips, etc.
But if there are hog rings involved, it's not that hard to do...I actually used zip ties instead of hog rings. They're so much easier to do & still retaining the seat covers w/out any issues.
Old 04-09-19, 07:07 PM
Overlander
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I would recommend this.

Old 04-09-19, 08:34 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Unfortunately, these seats have a polyurethane clearcoat applied over the dyed leather (regular leather seats and "semi-aniline" seats). So dye won't "soak into" the leather, it just sits on top of the clearcoat and wears off very quickly. There are leather "paints" that will make the seat look nice for a short time, but these, too, wear off in a couple of months. The only real solution is to replace the worn leather sections at significant cost (the upholstery shops have to buy a larger quantity of leather than it takes to repair your seat - that's why it's so expensive).
The leather "paints" are also polyurethane , similar to whats already applied at the factory . Ive been doing leather refinishing off and on for 6-7 years and ive never had the coating fade or come off after a few months.

It will age similarly to how the factory seats age, ive had factory seats become faded and worn out in a year or less, and sometimes they last years and still look good, all depends on how you use them.

Originally Posted by lizhekb
hi I am also in Canada and is looking for a good leather repair for my ls460. I am in toronto. Looking forward to see the end result of yours.
im in Toronto also , if you need some help with your seats shoot me a pm sometime

You can make a before and after thread on them to show the difference
Old 04-09-19, 08:50 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

I dug up my old thread from 4 years ago, sorry the photos are bad quality

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...sure-coat.html

I wish I documented a lot more of my projects, my favorite was a Bentley flying spur, I did the whole interior , 2 front seats, rear seats, middle compartment, glove box and a few miscellaneous interior pieces

My least favorites are the bmw burgundy, I did a 650 coupe and a older M5 and I really struggled both times with the color.

Its a reddish brown type color that for some reason is very hard to match

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 04-09-19 at 08:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LexusNAZ (04-10-19)
Old 04-09-19, 09:37 PM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Overlander
I would recommend this.

https://youtu.be/rq2k9HwjSpY
I saw this just a few days ago and it works well for non vented or perforated seats.
Old 04-10-19, 07:09 AM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

That is some amazing repair work. How did the leather on the Navigator hold up? How did you apply the color?
Old 04-10-19, 09:56 AM
lizhekb
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
The leather "paints" are also polyurethane , similar to whats already applied at the factory . Ive been doing leather refinishing off and on for 6-7 years and ive never had the coating fade or come off after a few months.

It will age similarly to how the factory seats age, ive had factory seats become faded and worn out in a year or less, and sometimes they last years and still look good, all depends on how you use them.

im in Toronto also , if you need some help with your seats shoot me a pm sometime

You can make a before and after thread on them to show the difference
great I will pm you with pics later. Thanks.
Old 04-10-19, 07:06 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusNAZ
That is some amazing repair work. How did the leather on the Navigator hold up? How did you apply the color?
I had to touch up the navigator seats the day after because the lighting at my place was a little off and I missed a few spots which were seen when it was out in the sun, , but other then that its been fine , no complaints or return visits.

I apply it with an HVLP sprayer
Old 04-11-19, 07:19 AM
LexusNAZ
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FunFact
You can see that his situation requires much more than a re-dye. I would normally recommend a dye for masking stretch marks and other flaws, but that seat is going to need a lot more than just that to make it look like the luxury car it is. And why bother spending money on a dye to only half-fix the issue? If I am going to fix the seat, I'd want it to look amazing.

And, if you look at the design of these seats, you can see that it's not nearly as involved as it used to be. So, I'd definitely go for a recover versus a dye.
I agree with you but to keep it from getting worse if your pinched for money a dye would hold it together for a while. Its kind of a mute point for this car since the leather is getting replaced.
Old 04-12-19, 05:52 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
that is not exactly true, the clear coat can be removed by mechanical or chemical means, leather repainted and the leather given a new layer of polyurethane clear coat. But being in the US is unfortunate for you guys too expensive to do.
I had this done 3 months ago on an ES350. The person I took it to sanded the seat surface lightly, cleaned it all up, repaired any small imperfections and then sprayed the seat with 3 coats of leather dye. He finished it up with a thin layer of clear coat. The seat looks really good now. It cost me $165 for one seat and back surface. I only did the driver's seat.

Quick Reply: Leather Seat Dye