LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

For Those Using Synthetic Oil In Your LS460

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-18, 06:10 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Caflashbob

can you post the better filter info please?
doesnt mobil1 make filters that go with their oils?
Old 08-06-18, 08:02 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Check out: www.amsoil.com Just do a "vehicle look up" for all products for your vehicle.
The Amsoil Ea oil filters the best filters that I have come across and I have used them in all my vehicles for years along with their synthetic oils....... Just look at the "construction" of the Lexus Ea oil filter compared to the OEM and you will see what I mean. Oil Filters are the most important part on an engine no matter what type of oil (synthetic or dino) you use so why "cheap out" on the filter.
Old 08-06-18, 08:47 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj

Check out: www.amsoil.com Just do a "vehicle look up" for all products for your vehicle.
The Amsoil Ea oil filters the best filters that I have come across and I have used them in all my vehicles for years along with their synthetic oils....... Just look at the "construction" of the Lexus Ea oil filter compared to the OEM and you will see what I mean. Oil Filters are the most important part on an engine no matter what type of oil (synthetic or dino) you use so why "cheap out" on the filter.
do you have a source for these EA15K49-EA filters?
Old 08-06-18, 09:37 AM
DRGibbons
Advanced

Received 466 Likes on 250 Posts

I've been involved with the automotive oil industry and heard more half baked experts and truths than I can shake a stick at. The fact is, synthetic oil outperforms even a high quality standard oil for engines such as the one in our LC - no question - dare I say ALL engines. Only a few Mazda rotary engines are better served by standard oils for reasons I won't get into here.

Benefits of synthetic oil are numerous: Better low and high-temperature viscosity performance at service temperature extremes. Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown, and oil sludge problems. Conventional oils break down and begin offering poor performance much more quickly than synthetic oils. This means they offer poorer overall engine protection, and can lower the lifespan of your engine. Synthetic oils contain fewer impurities compared to conventional motor oils and can better resist the formation of sludge thereby preventing deposits from forming in your engine.

That being said, it is NOT recommended to extend the oil change interval from the Lexus recommended interval. Oil changes are not only intended to refresh the oil, but to also remove any impurities such as soot, carbon, and sulfuric and nitric acid that are byproducts of the combustion process that cannot be removed with filters alone.

Don't get me wrong, high quality standard oils can be very good as well. Just not AS good as synthetic. For the small amount of cost increase to use a synthetic oil, the extra security is well worth it in my opinion. Ask for synthetic specifically when you get you oil changed.

I always get a laugh at people that will spend thousands of dollars to prevent a rock chip in their paint but balk at the comparatively minuscule cost increase for synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. Skip a couple Starbucks each month and go for the good stuff.

My 2 cents worth.
The following 6 users liked this post by DRGibbons:
DrQuality (08-10-21), EazyLS460 (05-10-22), mambo619 (02-04-20), OSB (10-17-22), silverbck (08-07-18), tomgarv (08-09-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-06-18, 09:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I'm running an Amsoil filter, but really any mid grade or high grade oil filter will bet better than the Lexus OEM filter...
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-10-21)
Old 08-06-18, 12:07 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

I calłed steve at luxury Motorworks the luxlink guy to ask a few questions about oils.

he mentioned he tested the TGMO long ago and it was not as slippery internally as other oils and he was using other oils instead.

In this mornings conversation he also mentioned a lot if not all of his ls460’s with high miles on them were using oil. Some a quart per thousand miles.

i mentioned the possible different formulation from lexus’s engineers to retain long term ring seal.

He had not heard this before. Frankly was not interested in the info.

interesting that his testing showed that the TGMO is less slippery than most of the other oils he tested.

to my mind that matches the need for a particular amount of friction between the rings and cylinder walls to retain the seal versus have oil consumption issues and more oil needed to be added between refills.

mine at 2k mikes using TGMO shows no consumption at all.

previous owner had a independent shop do his oil changes and I noted they used valvoline bulk oil in their shop.

when I get a chance I will ask Star motors about customers ls460’s oil consumption issues if any and report back.

the idea that Lexus engineers speced the engine and its particular oil to preserve ring life is not unexpected.

if I furnish my valvoline quick change oil location the oil they do the change including a stock filter for $39.

$100 for 5k Miles oil I am ok with.

any one exclusively using TGMO at 5k intervals having oil consumption issues?

Old 08-06-18, 12:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No oil consumption issues, but of course my LS460s were new. My 2015 was traded at like 45k miles, no oil consumption.

I did a LOT of reading on Bobistheoilguy about oil, posted a thread specifically about this car, the consensus is that really theres not one "better" oil over another, and if you're going to change it every 5k miles, it really doesn't matter. I don't think a specific oil is or isn't going to help with consumption when the car is older as much as the decision to do 5k oil changes vs stretching to 10k may help.

I would however challenge the idea that TGMO is not as "slippery", the whole reason Toyota went to this oil is fuel economy, and "slippery" is the name of the game. If you go on BITOG, nobody ever talks about "slippery" or not.
Old 08-06-18, 02:26 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No oil consumption issues, but of course my LS460s were new. My 2015 was traded at like 45k miles, no oil consumption.

I did a LOT of reading on Bobistheoilguy about oil, posted a thread specifically about this car, the consensus is that really theres not one "better" oil over another, and if you're going to change it every 5k miles, it really doesn't matter. I don't think a specific oil is or isn't going to help with consumption when the car is older as much as the decision to do 5k oil changes vs stretching to 10k may help.

I would however challenge the idea that TGMO is not as "slippery", the whole reason Toyota went to this oil is fuel economy, and "slippery" is the name of the game. If you go on BITOG, nobody ever talks about "slippery" or not.
k

I am sorry I offended the gurus here by my relating of my research and my contacts info as best I can.

steve did not use “slipper” my words not his.

I think he said he measured the power needed to turn over the motor. No exact rpm mentioned. No test parameters.

no temp chart at test conditions. No Dyno info. No altitude compensation correlated.

he menrioned he was trying to forget all this old stuff as it was it part of his busy business model doing multiple brands in a busy shop.

he used to supercharge and nitrous inject sc430 long ago. Failure points according to him were the ring lands from detonation. He was the group buy guy for his personally developed lux link external control for the sc’s side quarter windows and to automate the tops operation. Three generations of lux links.

he had never mentioned his testing of various oils in LS cars until today.

i am starting to wonder why I bother to post stuff like this.

he stated the TGMO took more power? to turn the motor over. Said it was junk compared to the other oils tested however he did it.

Matches the posts here that toyota/Lexus specified different additives from Mobil on their oil versus the std Mobil 1 with “advanced friction modifiers”

lots of posts here about oil consumption issues using “synthetic oil.”

Most here do not use TGMO I assume as it’s more expensive and normally not available at independent shops or quick change drive ups.

steves mention of non TGMO oil use, higher power needed to turn over the motor with TGMO and the long term increased oil use and various posts here regarding Totota having different specs for their uses has me leaning towards a connection.

hundreds of oil posts here I assume since 2007.

bobtheoilguy probably did not conduct a 200,000 comparison test of possible oil consumption issues with the various oils.

We here have more info to make choices based on real world results.

many mentions of 150k oil consumption issues here.

Then the 346k guys dealer only results show up. He brought his in as his was starting to use a quart of oil between changes.

Read his service file?.

i build small four stroke off road race engines. I had oil consumption issues using the latest friction modified oils.

went back to non friction modifier oils and a 50/50 Rotella white container oil and the oil issues went away.

if I remember the posts TGMO has more zinc than std Mobil 1.

does not surprise me that the Lexus engineers as stated built the engine and the exact oil to match.

would be surprised if they did not conduct testing to verify their exact formulation for long use.

toyota in .torrance had a large group of dynoes according to my buddy who was there.

i assume japan had more?

but saving money is of major importance to some. With no other factual input most pick by price.

why would anyone think the TGMO was different enough to source it and use it?

oh the reports and results posted here?

Whatever you feel is comfortable with...,

my personal tests on my 300 plus complete engine builds involves a leak down test always..

harder to do on these. Manual shows cranking compression pressures at a specified rpm.

have never seen anyone report testing their ls460 for compression.

if a motor uses oil a compression test serms normal to me.

and i switch oils to higher friction ones to hopefully reseat rings. Works almost very time.

4 valves per cylinder, 12 to 1 compression ratio medium rpm Austrian off road engines.

your results may vary. Pretty sure I have the info I need for my uses.

Everyone can decide for themselves...it’s you nickle

tomgarv (08-09-21)
Old 08-06-18, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Nobody is offended, certainly not me...

I'm not sure who this "Steve" person is you're talking about, but at least as relayed through you a lot of what he's saying doesn't make any sense to me from the standpoint of what I know to be true from my own experience and experiences of others that I have read. TGMO is not "junk" oil, its a very good quality oil, made by Mobil to for Toyota to their additive spec. There are tons of oil analyses both here and on BITOG comparing it to other synthetic oils, and I have not heard one person say that its "junk" until your post above. In fact, when I posted on BITOG and asked about my application, I had multiple people there recommend to me that I use TGMO. If you search that site you will find THOUSANDS of posts debating every oil you could possibly imagine, oil analyses with used and new, they tear down oil filters and review them used and new...its an enormous source of information about oil...quite frankly much of it is way over my head.

The overriding point that was made to me though, and that I attempted to make above is that the type of oil you use doesn't mean nearly as much as the interval in which you change it, and that if you're going to do 5k oil changes, really ANY oil will be just fine. Why do I choose to use TGMO? Its a good oil, Toyota had it developed to spec for use in their engines and I don't see how that could be a bad thing, so that was my choice. Its no harder for me to buy it from a Toyota dealer than it is tp buy a different oil from Walmart. I'd rather go into a Toyota dealer than a Walmart anyways LOL

People have had compression tests done on older LS460s that use oil and all is fine.

I have a hard time understanding much of your post...at times you seem to think that Toyota's formulation of TGMO might have to do with an attempt to reduce oil consumption with age, yet then at other times you seem to imply purchasing that product isn't worthwhile...yet earlier you said it was what you chose to use

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-06-18 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-06-18, 04:46 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Steve Larson of luxury motorworks in Monrovia apparently thought that if the oil in the motor did not allow it to turn over with less power consumed that its lubrication qualities were not as good as other oils that allowed less power consumption or some other unit of measurement.

my post was that he may not have realized that the measurement he made may not have taken in all the properties of the TGMO. The idea that Toyota intentionally speced the oil to not be the lowest possible friction.

Like having a much longer ring life by NOT being the lowest power use in cranking the motor over.

His oil judgement was simply how low friction an oil was.

most would agree that that measurement was the most important.

my post was that that does not seem to be true.

and the longest engine life seems to use TGMO.

if others here can contribute that at 5k oil changes their ls460 went 250k or more without TGMO and no oil use.

we seem to know from a lot of posters that using TGMO and 5k change intervals resulted in no oil use at those kind of miles.

i agree that the 5k helps.

but is that the key or is the exact oil a contributor to this.

In iother words can I use bulk oil at 5k changes and get the same engine life results as using TGMO?

lots of owners here. Let’s see.

old enough and miles enough that the info should be here.

anyone get 346k miles at 5k changes with non TGMO and no oil use?
Old 08-06-18, 05:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Steve Larson of luxury motorworks in Monrovia apparently thought that if the oil in the motor did not allow it to turn over with less power consumed that its lubrication qualities were not as good as other oils that allowed less power consumption or some other unit of measurement.

This is what just doesn't make any sense...how did he determine "how much power is consumed" by starting the engine? And when you start the engine, there is very little oil in the engine. Its all down in the crankcase, so at that moment of "engine turnover" theres not a whole lot of oil in there.

I think the issue with your question is that what we are talking about when we say "TGMO" is Toyota branded 0W20 synthetic oil. That oil has only existed since about 2012, so you won't find cars really out there with 250k+ miles using only TGMO.

There are other oils that are "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or "TGMO", but thats not what we're talking about.

Also, unless you buy the oil and have it used, you don't know whether thats what you're getting or not. Most dealers use off brand drum oil, and only sell TGMO in quarts at the parts desk.
Old 08-07-18, 04:59 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by DRGibbons
I've been involved with the automotive oil industry and heard more half baked experts and truths than I can shake a stick at. The fact is, synthetic oil outperforms even a high quality standard oil for engines such as the one in our LC - no question - dare I say ALL engines. Only a few Mazda rotary engines are better served by standard oils for reasons I won't get into here.

Benefits of synthetic oil are numerous: Better low and high-temperature viscosity performance at service temperature extremes. Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown, and oil sludge problems. Conventional oils break down and begin offering poor performance much more quickly than synthetic oils. This means they offer poorer overall engine protection, and can lower the lifespan of your engine. Synthetic oils contain fewer impurities compared to conventional motor oils and can better resist the formation of sludge thereby preventing deposits from forming in your engine.

That being said, it is NOT recommended to extend the oil change interval from the Lexus recommended interval. Oil changes are not only intended to refresh the oil, but to also remove any impurities such as soot, carbon, and sulfuric and nitric acid that are byproducts of the combustion process that cannot be removed with filters alone.

Don't get me wrong, high quality standard oils can be very good as well. Just not AS good as synthetic. For the small amount of cost increase to use a synthetic oil, the extra security is well worth it in my opinion. Ask for synthetic specifically when you get you oil changed.

I always get a laugh at people that will spend thousands of dollars to prevent a rock chip in their paint but balk at the comparatively minuscule cost increase for synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. Skip a couple Starbucks each month and go for the good stuff.

My 2 cents worth.
I agree and the part I highlighted "soot, carbon", etc...I think that's the part people forget. Oil does get "dirty". Carbon is real, soot is real. The filter cannot take that out, it just circulates and circulates around inside your engine. Changing your oil removes that and at least gives your engine a little break from those contaminates for a spell. You might get?? I don't know? A couple thousand miles of driving without that stuff really saturating your oil. On the flip side if you're going 10,000 miles or more that stuff is saturated in your oil/engine. I think of it this way, when I change my oil at 5,000 miles it's "dirty" at has a gritty feel to it. I can't imagine taking that nasty oil out, pouring it back in the engine and letting it go for another 5,000 miles. I know the additive package still has remaining life, I know there's still cleaning detergents in it...I just feel it's better to put clean, new oil in there and replace that saturated filter.
DrQuality (08-10-21)
Old 08-07-18, 05:18 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I have heard/witnessed first hand that these engines do start consuming oil at "higher mileage". You'll probably never experience that because you purchase new/newer cars every few years or so. Mine didn't start using oil until it reached 150,000 miles...up until that point? I'd use almost zero oil in 5,000 mile oil changes. I did try to extend my intervals out to 7,500 miles for a short time - I found that anything past 5,000 miles the car would use oil - as if the oil had sheared or something...probably added a quart/quart and a half between 5,000 to 7,000 miles. Always used a high quality synthetic, whether it be Mobil 1, TGMO, Castrol, Valvoline.

But when my car reached 150,000 miles, everything changed. Then I started using oil before the 5,000 mile mark. At first a couple quarts. Then when I reached 170,000 miles I knew I kind of had a problem. I was using a quart every 1,000 miles or so. Oil began coming up into the intake through the pcv system - a sure sign the rings were worn - performed a wet compression test and yup...rings.

Lots of cars are using oil at higher mileage, especially because of these lower tension rings they started installing to increase fuel mileage. Some start using oil sooner than others. I think if you can make it to 150,000 plus without consumption issues you're doing ok nowadays. And even if you do, you can probably get another 100,000 miles out of an engine with some care and attention.

I think times have changed in the engine department days...direct injection, rings, turbos, timing chains, higher compression, variable valve timing, thinner oils...all have quietly dramatically altered engines over the past 7-8 years. I think it's an adjustment period for the industry. And I think Lexus will be way ahead of the game.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doublebase:
DrQuality (08-06-21), Mythicalni (08-28-22)
Old 08-07-18, 06:13 AM
rick3242
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a 2010 Tundra with the same engine as my Lexus. It has over 100K on the engine and I have only used 0W20 every 10K and have zero issues. I recently purchased the Lexus and will be doing 0W20 every 10K as well.
Old 08-07-18, 09:23 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 310 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RussLS460
I understand Lexus recommends oil changes every 5 thousand for the LS, even with the use of full synthetic oil. Is that the schedule you are using or do you follow the usual 10 thousand mile interval? Is there something unique about the LS motor that necessitates 5 thousand mile oil changes?
Toyota (Lexus) changed it's official oil change recommendation to full synthetic oil every 10,000 miles in 2010-2011 (LS included). Lexus CPO-paid oil change interval for my 2014 LS is 10,000 miles with synthetic. Owners are free to change the oil at shorter intervals.

Quick Reply: For Those Using Synthetic Oil In Your LS460