LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Arnott rear air struts...I'm at a loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 06:04 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Another update.

Turns out, the LR strut leaks air. Loses effectively all pressure in 30 minutes. The leak is in the connection of the top of the air bladder to the top half of the strut.

I've been DD-ing my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L, at 13 MPG. Hey, at least the A/C works, though I'm going to be deaf from the gear whine and tire hum.

I bet I cannot get a replacement installed before Friday, which is the start of my work week.

Needless to say, I'm rather angry about this, as I have to remove the rear seat, again, the strut, send it back, wait on a replacement, then put it all back together.

Yeah, angry is a slight understatement.

This is an $800 part, and it's defective after about 75 miles of travel. Sure, it's a new item, but it's not like these people are new to the business.
Old 08-27-18, 06:30 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Good luck. Makes me appreciate having coil springs and my replacement KYB shocks costing less than 400 for all four corners. I'm sure my ride's not quite as smooth but 800 a corner for the aftermarket part seems steep. You'll get it dialed in I'm sure. I'd send them a link to this thread they should really be taking care of you.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (08-27-18)
Old 08-27-18, 08:04 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Dang Kelly,

Hate you are having this issue. It is alway a b@#$h when you order something, have to put it on and then find out it does not work.

I only hope hope the seller give you some kind of satisfaction for the trouble of a bad part. Not sure what, but maybe discount or something.

Thanks for keeping us updated and know we are pulling for you to have a good ride again!

Old 08-28-18, 02:52 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know what's going to happen, yet. Primarily, I want my ultra-cushy ride with the killer stereo to be mobile, again!

I may have a new one sent, let them charge me for it, then, when Arnott makes good on the defective one, have it sent to the distributor. At that point, it's all paperwork.

I will let y'all know how it plays out, however, because it will be an insight into how this distributor does business and how good Arnott's quality/confidence in their product is.
Old 09-08-18, 06:34 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
I don't know what's going to happen, yet. Primarily, I want my ultra-cushy ride with the killer stereo to be mobile, again!

I may have a new one sent, let them charge me for it, then, when Arnott makes good on the defective one, have it sent to the distributor. At that point, it's all paperwork.

I will let y'all know how it plays out, however, because it will be an insight into how this distributor does business and how good Arnott's quality/confidence in their product is.
any updates?
Old 09-08-18, 11:47 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Funny you should ask...

Best I can tell, the replacement for the defective new strut will not actually be shipped until next Thursday.

I'm more than a bit miffed at this point, because I'm looking at a month, from start to finish, when it should have been only a couple of days, maximum.
Old 09-09-18, 07:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

What an ordeal...
Old 09-11-18, 12:17 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

I'm back!

My LS has not moved in almost a month. I'm less than thrilled.

However...the second strut arrived, yesterday, and after spending hours trying to get the bottom mount to line up with the stud, I gave up. Blood was being drawn too often, and I was tired.

Got after it this morning, though (I'm off work this week, M-Th), and YES, it's fully bolted up and on the ground.

One thing I see immediately which is going to be a no-go for many...the rear is higher than the front by 1.5" - 1.75". The bump stops are that much longer, it seems. I have all of the air out of the system because I wanted to see where I was starting from, and if it was going to be different than OEM.

Yes...yes it is.

The nose has tires halfway into the wheel well, but the rear looks to be what normal ride height was, previously. Measurements using the centerline of the wheel and the edge of the metal wheel well confirm. Bottomed out, the front is at 25.25", the rear is 26.75" on the driver's side, 27" on the passenger's side.

As a result, it very much looks like my days of having a very slightly dropped LS are over, and this explains why, previously, it felt like it was on the bump stops, because it was.

Time to put it all back together and take it for a ride. Well, after some rudimentary leveling, if required. I have the rear sensors adjusted to full height, as I was trying to figure out what was up with it, previously.

I'll be back later today, with an update.

I don't think the picture I took is uploading to the forum, but it's also not generating an error, or else you'd see the difference.
Old 09-11-18, 01:52 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

That sucks. I wonder if the stops are taller in the front Arnott struts as well. It might ride taller, but at least then travel would be the same on all 4 corners.
Old 09-11-18, 04:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How much vs OEM did these struts save you?

Sounds to me like we're better off to bite the bullet and go OEM.
Old 09-12-18, 01:27 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

sorry to hear you are going through such a hard time

This is why I bought the kyb regular struts and tannabe lowering springs to swap in , I don't have the time or temperment to deal with this kind of stuff

If anyone needs a used OEM set of air struts id be willing to sell mine for $300 each corner , there are no issues
Old 09-12-18, 02:52 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
How much vs OEM did these struts save you?

Sounds to me like we're better off to bite the bullet and go OEM.
Depending on the 'deal' a dealer would actually make, they saved about $800-$1K each.

I was hoping they'd be longer-lasting than OEM, because they don't have to be made to a price point. There are compromises in OEM parts which are minimal, if present, in aftermarket.

As it stands right now, I need to test the resistance on both the rear height sensors, because they're both maxed out (height, not lowered), and the LR isn't off the stop. The RR barely is. I did a graph in Techstream, and yep, they work, but I need actual numbers to make certain they're reporting the correct data.
Old 09-12-18, 05:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I found new OEM air struts online for about $700 a corner...the Arnott system I found, purchased as a whole system was $4,000...

What am I missing here...
Old 09-12-18, 07:19 AM
DanIrl
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I found new OEM air struts online for about $700 a corner...the Arnott system I found, purchased as a whole system was $4,000...

What am I missing here...
Any links to them online. thats a very good price for OEM ones
Old 09-12-18, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DanIrl
Any links to them online. thats a very good price for OEM ones
I'll try and dig them back up and post them

Quick Reply: Arnott rear air struts...I'm at a loss