LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What did you do to your LS today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 10:55 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

hi nice set up, what is that thing that is mounted to the right of the passenger side horn? I am intending to install some Marco air horns to be precise.

Originally Posted by removed
Yes, the LED's have to be wired up to 12V so I had to take bumper off to take lights off so I could take ballasts off and connect LED's directly into 12V.
Unless LED you buy can accept 25000V that the ballast sends to the bulb you'll have to take the bumper off.
Honestly not that big of a deal, 2-3 hours for everything considering this was my first time taking bumper off.

I also installed Hella Supertones while I had the grill off. Very different sound and dare I say it doesn't "fit" the car but holy **** is it loud. Scares even NYC yellow cabs off your way.
https://youtu.be/wbGQt-y_UxE?t=45
Old 12-31-19, 01:22 PM
Spartan117
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Vtallysx4
Hardwired a dash cam with front and rear camera and parking monitor (has a voltage cut off that can be set to keep the battery from dying), excited to see how well it captures while the car is parked. It also has lane departure warning and collision warning, but I turned off the lane departure warning because I'm not planning on using it (made a funny knock knock sound every time I switched lanes). I got surprised when I was approaching a speed camera because it warned me about it and told me the speed limit on the road. Neither the Ez-Pass or the camera are visible from the driving position and the rear camera does not interfere with the privacy shade.
Nice! DIY or pro installation?
Old 12-31-19, 01:45 PM
Vtallysx4
Pit Crew

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan117
Nice! DIY or pro installation?
DIY installation, first of several modifications to come.
Old 01-03-20, 08:03 AM
uzzyjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dfrosch
Got the melting, sticky armrests fixed. The upholstery shop had three other LS 460s., fixing the same thing.
hey buddy, Please where did you get it fixed? any where online i can purchase

this seems to be a common problem
Old 01-06-20, 06:12 PM
Spartan117
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

Replaced door light with Lexus logo light on front doors. Bought a pair from Amazon. 10 mins tops to remove and install new.
In case if anyone is interested:
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-08-20, 02:34 PM
GreyRhino
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Waste of time

Dropped it off at a local muffler shop to blow out my cats, an walked across the street to work. 4 hrs later "your cars too low to get it on the rack.. Sorry". Then met with a local guy for some custom fit stuff.
Old 01-09-20, 07:14 AM
user 710812323
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Didn't get to write this in yesterday... New rear shocks!

Fronts are coming soon.
The following users liked this post:
GreyRhino (01-09-20)
Old 01-11-20, 11:56 AM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Replaced passenger side headlight bulb... again😨.

Fixed noisy blower motor (under glove box). It was embarrassingly loud and now it’s back to normal! All of 15 min to do.
Old 01-11-20, 01:44 PM
user 710812323
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

New front shocks!

One of the rears blew out... oil everywhere type blow out. The rest seemed ok but a little bouncy. It turns out the front ones were weeping too. Glad to have them all done finally.
Old 01-11-20, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Replaced the ambient light strip above the glove box (1/2 of it had burned out) and used some felt tape along the console to quiet a buzzing vibration.
Old 01-11-20, 09:21 PM
CmorButts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine got washed, waxed and detailed. I also recalibrated the rear camera alignment.
Old 01-17-20, 01:10 PM
KV2
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well not exactly today but a couple of weeks ago did a full revision of the brake system: new O-rings for the calipers, rubber boots new brake pads and discs and brake fluid. And repainted the calipers

The following users liked this post:
GreyRhino (01-25-20)
Old 01-22-20, 08:57 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Installed a new battery in my 2014 F-Sport.

I picked one up for 92 dollars from Costco.

Got the Interstate one for the cold weather package.
  • Item 1130806
  • Group size 27
  • Cold cranking amps 810
  • Cranking amps 1000.
  • Three-year full replacement warranty.

Only thing is you have to swap it yourself. Normally, not a big deal but it took me an hour. Why? Sigh… the thin metal bracket arm that runs along the side of the battery fell into a crack under the engine and I had to remove the battery mount to see if I could get to it. I couldn’t. Luckily my neighbor had a telescoping magnet was able to fish it out. It took about 15-20 minutes to put back in. Broke a couple of the retaining push pins for the plastic plating, but overall it was pretty easy and you can’t beat the cost savings when you buy it from Costco and DIY.

I strongly suggest you use a couple of thick towels or blankets to cover the fender. It is a tight fit to get the battery into that deep corner and the arm to the hood blocks the natural path you would take. You don’t want to drop the battery and ding up your hood.

My main reason for posting about such a worldly task is in addition to the car starting to have a little bit of trouble starting it was doing the following things:
  1. For a year my clock has not been accurate. It has been either fast or slow, but it has always been off after working fine for two years. I tried everything to fix it. I didn’t want to spend the $300+ on a new clock.
  2. For the last month when I dropped the kids off at school as soon as they closed the door the car would tell me the key was not detected even though it was sitting in the cup holder. I would have to pull over and start the car again to make it go away.
  3. Remote start via my Viper Smart Start app was not working for me the last few months.

A new battery and those three things seem to have all gone away. Thank the Lord!

Old 01-22-20, 11:50 AM
SpruceRain
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Finally, something to report!

When I got my car, the centre console vents for the rear passengers were broken. One vane was missing altogether, and both "control vanes" were broken, barely hanging on:

I got a 2nd hand unit in excellent condition, but it was from a car with black leather and red-brown veneer. I dismantled both pieces (releasing the plastic clips with a small flat-headed screwdriver, awful job), and my car got new vents in proper condition:

Then, a few days ago, I fitted some LED reversing lights, having noticed that in actual darkness the original incandescent bulbs provide very little actual illumination. I could probably see about half a metre of ground on the reversing camera. Much better now:

Unfortunately the RH side original bulb decided to let go of its socket as I was pulling the socket out. I couldn't get it out through the socket hole, even with a piece of sticky tape on my fingertip, so the bulb is still rattling around inside my reversing light housing. I'll have to remove the tailgate trim to get the housing out, apparently. One of the four nuts holding it in place is impossible to reach otherwise.

I then fitted a Yatour MP3 player, placing it in the storage compartment beneath the armrest. This was quite easy (as long as one can reach the 10mm hex head bolts and does not drop them into the bowels of the car) as I had removed most of the centre console trim earlier (to fix the cupholder lid). The player works quite well; the car sees it as a another CD changer (OEM still works), sound quality is excellent, and most controls work as expected. There are a few things to keep in mind vs. the actual OEM CD changer, however:
1. Each folder is seen as a CD, and apparently 6 folders are supported.
2. For whatever reason, the Yatour (and apparently some other similar products) sorts the songs on the memory card by the file creation date!
3. When random play is selected, next track button actually goes to next random track, unlike OEM CD changer!
4. Random play does not persist when car is shut down and started up again; it has to be re-enabled every time.
5. The TUNE/FILE **** button, which quickly and effortlessly browser tracks on the CD changer, unfortunately does nothing when using the Yatour.
Old 01-23-20, 04:32 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by SpruceRain
Finally, something to report!

When I got my car, the centre console vents for the rear passengers were broken. One vane was missing altogether, and both "control vanes" were broken, barely hanging on:

I got a 2nd hand unit in excellent condition, but it was from a car with black leather and red-brown veneer. I dismantled both pieces (releasing the plastic clips with a small flat-headed screwdriver, awful job), and my car got new vents in proper condition:

Then, a few days ago, I fitted some LED reversing lights, having noticed that in actual darkness the original incandescent bulbs provide very little actual illumination. I could probably see about half a metre of ground on the reversing camera. Much better now:

Unfortunately the RH side original bulb decided to let go of its socket as I was pulling the socket out. I couldn't get it out through the socket hole, even with a piece of sticky tape on my fingertip, so the bulb is still rattling around inside my reversing light housing. I'll have to remove the tailgate trim to get the housing out, apparently. One of the four nuts holding it in place is impossible to reach otherwise.

I then fitted a Yatour MP3 player, placing it in the storage compartment beneath the armrest. This was quite easy (as long as one can reach the 10mm hex head bolts and does not drop them into the bowels of the car) as I had removed most of the centre console trim earlier (to fix the cupholder lid). The player works quite well; the car sees it as a another CD changer (OEM still works), sound quality is excellent, and most controls work as expected. There are a few things to keep in mind vs. the actual OEM CD changer, however:
1. Each folder is seen as a CD, and apparently 6 folders are supported.
2. For whatever reason, the Yatour (and apparently some other similar products) sorts the songs on the memory card by the file creation date!
3. When random play is selected, next track button actually goes to next random track, unlike OEM CD changer!
4. Random play does not persist when car is shut down and started up again; it has to be re-enabled every time.
5. The TUNE/FILE **** button, which quickly and effortlessly browser tracks on the CD changer, unfortunately does nothing when using the Yatour.
I've had the Yatour in my car for over 2 years and it's great. I just recently found out that the Yatour can have more than 6 folders but it just won't show on the screen. I confirmed this by putting a 7th folder on my SD card then going to the next disc while playing the 6th disc.
The following 2 users liked this post by sha4000:
SpruceRain (01-23-20), swfla (02-26-20)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS today?