LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-18, 04:37 PM
propcop
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Problem?

Is this a problem? My car won''t coast. 2013 LS 460 AWD
When I lift my foot off the accelerator the car behaves like it has downshiftrd to a lower gear or the brake is being gently applied.It doesn't matter if the road condition is a flat, uphill or a down hill road. It also doesn't matter if the car is in the economy,normal or sport mode. The speedometer starts dropping speed and it can be felt d-accelerating. It is extremely noticeable and very irritating. Its not like an occasional thing its all most 100 percent of the time.
If you quickly touch the accelerator it starts coasting as you would expect and want but quickly returns to the above issue.
My old LS430 used to do the same thing but it was triggered by applying the foot brake and reset by touching the accelerator. The issue I'm having is just the opposite of my old LS430.

Is this a problem or trait of the 8 speed transmission? What would you do?
Old 08-28-18, 06:06 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Cruise control?
Old 08-28-18, 06:21 PM
Biggotis06
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it might be a trait of the transmission. The tranny stays in the appropriate gear at all times. Maybe your driving habits the car has adjusted to. I never noticed mine until a few weeks ago when I installed some Magnaflow mufflers, and I could tell that the car was down shifting, especially going down hill after taping the brakes to slow your descent. That's a good thing to me. Save for those expensive brakes, and let the motor and tranny assist your journey. I don't think it would do this on a no inclined road. But I'll tell you in the morning. Test it out yourself propcop and post your findings.

Also: mine is 2 wheel drive and I noticed yours was all wheel. I don't know if that would make a difference. But I hope all is well.
Old 08-28-18, 08:34 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi sorry to jump in here as I know this is for 4th gen etc but when i saw this thread I couldnt help it. I have a 2004 LS430 with the exact opposite problem that you have and i have never been able to resolve despite seeking help several times. I even tried replacing the ecu but no change. My car coasts down hills with no resistence/downshifting or no engine braking at all. No matter what gear i down shift it into or tapping the brakes does nothing. I just end up coasting faster and faster and faster with no increase in revs, yet if i put my foot on the gas the revs will go up depending on what gear I'm in but provides no resistence. I get a slight engine braking effect in 4th, but any other gear i get nothing at all. As I said i have exact opposite problem to yours but perhaps if you can get the bottom of your issue i might be able to solve mine too!👍
Old 08-29-18, 10:10 AM
propcop
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
Hi sorry to jump in here as I know this is for 4th gen etc but when i saw this thread I couldnt help it. I have a 2004 LS430 with the exact opposite problem that you have and i have never been able to resolve despite seeking help several times. I even tried replacing the ecu but no change. My car coasts down hills with no resistance/downshifting or no engine braking at all. No matter what gear i down shift it into or tapping the brakes does nothing. I just end up coasting faster and faster and faster with no increase in revs, yet if i put my foot on the gas the revs will go up depending on what gear I'm in but provides no resistance. I get a slight engine braking effect in 4th, but any other gear i get nothing at all. As I said i have exact opposite problem to yours but perhaps if you can get the bottom of your issue i might be able to solve mine too!👍
MY 2005 LS430 would downshift to a gear lower than the one I was in when going down a grade and tapped on my brake pedal, and would disengage when I touched the accelerator. It was somewhat convenient but not a necessity. That's how my 2005 worked.

My 2013 transmission feels like it goes to a lower gear than the one I'm in all by itself when I lift my foot of the gas pedal Almost always between 20 and 45 MPH, I haven't had the car over 45 since I purchased it so don't know what happens over 45 MPH.