LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Check Tire Pressure System warning after Lexus dealer did brake flush

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-18, 05:20 PM
pappy97
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Check Tire Pressure System warning after Lexus dealer did brake flush

I have an 07 LS460 L with 93k miles, just purchased a few months ago.

Took it to Lexus dealer to have them do two things. One is a brake flush, the other is replace passenger headlight (I know it's easy for you, but not me).

I picked up the car after they did the service and drove home. 25 minutes into the drive home, I get the "Check Tire Pressure System" warning.Mind you, I doubt the TPMS sensors have ever been replaced in the car and I know they go out in 7 years or so. BUT it seems awfully strange to have that happen right after the Lexus dealership performed a brake flush.

What are the chances the Lexus dealer service guys messed up one or more of my sensors in doing the brake flush? Or something they may have done or didn't do that now causes this warning to pop up?

Trying to figure out if I should be upset at the dealer or I really just have bad luck and timing and should go to Discount Tire in the morning to have them figure out which TPMS sensors are faulty and have them replace them.

Thanks!

Last edited by pappy97; 09-05-18 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-05-18, 05:56 PM
jmcraney

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

It is certainly possible that one or more of you wheel TPMS sensors failed coincidently with your service event, but the odds of that are not very high. The first thing I think you should do is check to see if your spare wheel/tire is still in your car. Another possibility is that one or more of your wheel/tires was accidently swapped with another vehicle that was being serviced at the same time.
Old 09-05-18, 06:06 PM
pappy97
Driver

Originally Posted by jmcraney
It is certainly possible that one or more of you wheel TPMS sensors failed coincidently with your service event, but the odds of that are not very high. The first thing I think you should do is check to see if your spare wheel/tire is still in your car. Another possibility is that one or more of your wheel/tires was accidently swapped with another vehicle that was being serviced at the same time.
I'll check both, thanks, but what of the fact that the warning didn't pop up until 25 minutes into my drive back home? If the spare was missing or they accidentally swapped tires with another vehicle being serviced at the same time, wouldn't I get the warning immediately?
Old 09-05-18, 06:20 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Did they do a real flush or used the 'turkey baster' method?
Old 09-05-18, 06:23 PM
pappy97
Driver

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
Did they do a real flush or used the 'turkey baster' method?
As far as I know, real flush.
Old 09-05-18, 06:27 PM
jmcraney

The indication you have is typical of one or more non-reporting sensors. The threshold for this warning is when any sensor fails to report a pressure reading for more than 20 minutes. Each time the ignition is turned on this starts over, so if you start your car again and drive it for 20 minutes you would get the warning again. You can determine how many non-reporting sensors you have by observing the pressure display in your dash. The display starts displaying the reported pressures about a minute after you start the car. Non-reporting sensors would be indicated by "checking" or dashes or blanks in the display while reporting sensors would be displayed as pressures.
Old 09-05-18, 06:54 PM
pappy97
Driver

The indication you have is typical of one or more non-reporting sensors. The threshold for this warning is when any sensor fails to report a pressure reading for more than 20 minutes. Each time the ignition is turned on this starts over, so if you start your car again and drive it for 20 minutes you would get the warning again. You can determine how many non-reporting sensors you have by observing the pressure display in your dash. The display starts displaying the reported pressures about a minute after you start the car. Non-reporting sensors would be indicated by "checking" or dashes or blanks in the display while reporting sensors would be displayed as pressures.
What you say doesn't make sense to me because I just went to the car to start it and I get the warning immediately upon starting, along with a note to have the vehicle checked by the dealer, and I don't even get the screen at all that shows tire pressures.
Old 09-05-18, 07:12 PM
jmcraney

I am sorry my comments have not been helpful. It is difficult to help remotely. Maybe a return to the dealer is in order.
Old 09-05-18, 07:17 PM
pappy97
Driver

I am sorry my comments have not been helpful. It is difficult to help remotely. Maybe a return to the dealer is in order.
Sorry, wasn't trying to be rude. You are being very helpful! Just say it didn't make sense in my case because the warning is now there immediately.

If you were in my shoes, would you be back at the dealer tomorrow demanding they fix it for free or go to discount tire and have them assess and fix?

My fear is, I go to the Lexus Dealer, and they claim it was a coincidence and want me to pay to replace tpms sensors. It's not like I can prove their wrongdoing. I don't even know what their wrongdoing is. I don't even know if they did anything wrong. But from a circumstantial evidence pov, it looks like they did something.

It's also a hassle because the dealership is not very convenient for me to get to, but that's an aside to my fear that they claim coincidence and want me to pay for it.
Old 09-05-18, 08:04 PM
jmcraney

I think you should go back to the dealer and see what their assessment is. It might be best to weigh their input before agreeing to pay them any more money. Since the indications are odd it might turn out to be something related to the brake flush or even a defective battery. See what they have to say. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Old 09-05-18, 08:07 PM
pappy97
Driver

I think you should go back to the dealer and see what their assessment is. It might be best to weigh their input before agreeing to pay them any more money. Since the indications are odd it might turn out to be something related to the brake flush or even a defective battery. See what they have to say. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Thank you, that is sound advice.
Old 09-05-18, 09:49 PM
TexasTea
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pappy97
I'll check both, thanks, but what of the fact that the warning didn't pop up until 25 minutes into my drive back home? If the spare was missing or they accidentally swapped tires with another vehicle being serviced at the same time, wouldn't I get the warning immediately?

More than likely 1 or more of your tires is under 30 PSI at cold temperature which triggers the low tire pressure warning. Push the DISP button on the right side of the steering wheel until the tire pressure readings are shown in the dash display. After having late July 88 degree low morning temperatures and 115 degree afternoon temperatures in Texas and seeing cold tire pressures at 35 PSI (with 32 PSI being ideal), my tire low pressure warning light went off yesterday morning. I checked the tire pressures and was surprised to find 29 PSI readings on the tires with a morning temperature of 74 degrees. It took a few minutes to pump some air on each tire to get the pressure back up to 32 PSI. After starting the car, the warning light went away with the tire pressure display showing 32 PSI on each tire and 33 PSI for my spare tire.

I bought this STANLEY FATMAX J7CS Jump Starter: 700 Peak/350 Instant Amps, 120 PSI Air Compressor for $42 on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RZXVQSU
along with this Cooolbuy 150 PSI Digital Tire Pressure Gauge 4 Settings with Non-Slip Grip and Backlit LCD-Button Cells,Tire Valve Caps,Carry Bag Included (Black-1 Pack) for $7 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076NSS3PQ
The following users liked this post:
Henryr (12-18-20)
Old 09-05-18, 10:18 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How much labor did they bill for headlight replacement. I too don’t find this stuff easy.
Old 09-06-18, 03:31 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

6 months ago, right after getting a new set of tires at Discount Tire, 2 of my tpms sensor went bad.
I then talked to DT and they claimed that the sensors just reached their limit.
Then got 2 new sensors from DT $60 ea.
Old 09-06-18, 05:53 AM
pappy97
Driver

Originally Posted by TexasTea
More than likely 1 or more of your tires is under 30 PSI at cold temperature which triggers the low tire pressure warning. Push the DISP button on the right side of the steering wheel until the tire pressure readings are shown in the dash display. After having late July 88 degree low morning temperatures and 115 degree afternoon temperatures in Texas and seeing cold tire pressures at 35 PSI (with 32 PSI being ideal), my tire low pressure warning light went off yesterday morning. I checked the tire pressures and was surprised to find 29 PSI readings on the tires with a morning temperature of 74 degrees. It took a few minutes to pump some air on each tire to get the pressure back up to 32 PSI. After starting the car, the warning light went away with the tire pressure display showing 32 PSI on each tire and 33 PSI for my spare tire.

I bought this STANLEY FATMAX J7CS Jump Starter: 700 Peak/350 Instant Amps, 120 PSI Air Compressor for $42 on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RZXVQSU
along with this Cooolbuy 150 PSI Digital Tire Pressure Gauge 4 Settings with Non-Slip Grip and Backlit LCD-Button Cells,Tire Valve Caps,Carry Bag Included (Black-1 Pack) for $7 https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B076NSS3PQ
You misunderstrand. I don't have the low tire pressure warning. I have the Check Tire Pressure System Warning. Two different things. The car is also saying to have it checked by the dealer and won't even show me any tire pressures.

Last edited by pappy97; 09-06-18 at 05:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Check Tire Pressure System warning after Lexus dealer did brake flush