LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Top Tier gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 07:35 AM
DSMLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drkbrent2
All the gas comes from the same pipeline. All the tank-trucks pull from the same refineries. As stated earlier, the difference is the additive. What’s more important is which retailer you buy from i.e. the age of the retailer. Newer ones will have new equipment, filters, pumps, underground tanks made of fiberglass, etc. Old ones can have old steel tanks, corrosion, no filters, etc. Put a can of additive every few thousands of miles and you’ll be fine. And don’t fall into the ‘high-octane’ myth. New cars’ computers will automatically adjust to lower octane settings and your car will be fine. Also, I wouldn’t have believed it unless I saw it with my own eyes, but certain markets have oil packagers/blenders (whom the oil companies hire to bottle/package oil on their behalf) and it is often the EXACT same oil going into the different bottles. No additive difference or anything like that... once saw twelve different branded bottles (Castroll, Pennzoil, BP, Havoline, etc) with the exact same petroleum 10w-30 being dispensed into different branded bottles during a tour of a packager. Really fascinating what role marketing can play!
In my experience as someone who has drag raced his whole life, I've found it(octane) does make a difference with performance. It just runs better with higher octane in it, and I want every bit of power underneath my foot if I need it. It is still possible to ruin an engine even with knock sensors etc. I've done it. Burned a hole in 2 pistons. Granted that was a stock turbo car turned into a race car. Got to the point where when racing, I had to run race gas for the high boost I was running. I know this is an extreme situation, but it makes a difference. If it is a high performance car, I'm going to run what the manufacturer says; but that's just me. Economy car I'll run low grade. My mom runs low grade in her turbo BMW and it just kills the power it's supposed to have. To each there own. I want every horse.
The following users liked this post:
Richardgil (01-20-19)
Old 09-11-18, 01:13 PM
drkbrent2
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by DSMLS
In my experience as someone who has drag raced his whole life, I've found it(octane) does make a difference with performance. It just runs better with higher octane in it, and I want every bit of power underneath my foot if I need it. It is still possible to ruin an engine even with knock sensors etc. I've done it. Burned a hole in 2 pistons. Granted that was a stock turbo car turned into a race car. Got to the point where when racing, I had to run race gas for the high boost I was running. I know this is an extreme situation, but it makes a difference. If it is a high performance car, I'm going to run what the manufacturer says; but that's just me. Economy car I'll run low grade. My mom runs low grade in her turbo BMW and it just kills the power it's supposed to have. To each there own. I want every horse.
You’re right regarding performance cars. Formula One racers aren’t using 86 octane gas! My Porsche 911 Turbo has a tune that requires 100 octane in a certain setting. Our LS cars don’t need it. Naturally, running it doesn’t hurt a thing, just costs more money. There’s a video floating around online somewhere about a test done with a bunch of 911’s that showed no measurable difference using all flavors of gasoline on a 911 turbo...made no difference. I actually use 86 octane with my 911 when traveling, but NOT with the performance setting...only 100 octane then.
Old 09-11-18, 02:39 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

IMO, there are some out there who thinks ECU has an indefinite ability to compensate timing for knocking of the engine. I think this is dead wrong idea. It is beyond me using regular gas after buying a car designed to run with higher Octane gas for optimum design specs.
Old 09-11-18, 04:48 PM
DSMLS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
IMO, there are some out there who thinks ECU has an indefinite ability to compensate timing for knocking of the engine. I think this is dead wrong idea. It is beyond me using regular gas after buying a car designed to run with higher Octane gas for optimum design specs.
It can, but it has its limits. I agree with you. I will run the octane that is suggested. This is a premium vehicle and I'll give it the best. There is a reason for the suggestion.
Old 09-11-18, 08:26 PM
drkbrent2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DSMLS
It can, but it has its limits. I agree with you. I will run the octane that is suggested. This is a premium vehicle and I'll give it the best. There is a reason for the suggestion.
https://www.economist.com/babbage/20...-needs-premium

Here’s a good article you guys will like (the author use 91 octane fuel). In the USA, our cars run fine on 87, 89 and 91 octane fuels. In LA, we have 93 octane as our ‘premium.’ If someone wants to use that fuel, be my guest. The benefits you see will be irrelevant (maybe make you feel warm and fuzzy, but can’t be measured in any significant way) and you’ll simply spend more money at the pump. You wouldn’t even know if you were dumping in 87 octane fuel from a tank that was supposed to distribute 91 octane...the oil jobbers make mistakes about that all the time and deposit the wrong gasoline in the wrong tank. We also have ‘ethanol free’ fuel here in LA and you can pay 30% more for it if you want. (We all know ethanol wreaks havoc on fuel systems when sitting for long periods of time).
Old 09-12-18, 07:58 AM
DSMLS
Driver School Candidate

Here’s a good article you guys will like (the author use 91 octane fuel). In the USA, our cars run fine on 87, 89 and 91 octane fuels. In LA, we have 93 octane as our ‘premium.’ If someone wants to use that fuel, be my guest. The benefits you see will be irrelevant (maybe make you feel warm and fuzzy, but can’t be measured in any significant way) and you’ll simply spend more money at the pump. You wouldn’t even know if you were dumping in 87 octane fuel from a tank that was supposed to distribute 91 octane...the oil jobbers make mistakes about that all the time and deposit the wrong gasoline in the wrong tank. We also have ‘ethanol free’ fuel here in LA and you can pay 30% more for it if you want. (We all know ethanol wreaks havoc on fuel systems when sitting for long periods of time).
Run whatever you want. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 09-12-18, 08:27 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

If one can't see the difference different gas makes on his car (s)he is not a real good driver. Lesser Octane gas makes the engine run at less power. And can't see/feel the difference? I have been driving for ~65 years.
Old 09-13-18, 01:12 PM
drkbrent2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
If one can't see the difference different gas makes on his car (s)he is not a real good driver. Lesser Octane gas makes the engine run at less power. And can't see/feel the difference? I have been driving for ~65 years.
Thanks for your kind words.
Old 09-13-18, 05:32 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts

Boys

I thought we had beat this horse to death in earlier post. As I recall we had generally come to the conclusion that "If you can't run with the Big Dogs stay on the Porch" on this issue. If you can't afford to put 93 Octane in your LS and you can justify running 87 Octane in your own mine by claiming that 87 Octane is just as good then fine go with 87 Octane. But as far as me and my LS we will always run the best 91/93 Octane. Oh and I don't run High Tech 0W-20 oil from Walmart in my LS either.

Dennis
Old 09-13-18, 08:01 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Well I'm running Super Tech plus filled up with 87 lots of times and I've been running with the the so called Bigs Dogs for a couple of decades. What's your point?
Old 09-14-18, 07:52 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

sha4000

The point is everyone takes care of their LS in their own manner. We can all read and we all understand what Lexus means when it says you should run premium fuel in the LS and we all know it's not 87 Octane. And to say that High Tech oil is the same as Amsoil is just not true. My point was that some folks just don't want to spend the money to take care of their LS as others see it should be, it may be that they don't have the money or it may be that they just don't want to spend the money. It doesn't matter but stop the insane debate about which is better. 91/93 vs 87 is like Chevy VS Ford

Dennis
Old 09-15-18, 05:44 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
sha4000

The point is everyone takes care of their LS in their own manner. We can all read and we all understand what Lexus means when it says you should run premium fuel in the LS and we all know it's not 87 Octane. And to say that High Tech oil is the same as Amsoil is just not true. My point was that some folks just don't want to spend the money to take care of their LS as others see it should be, it may be that they don't have the money or it may be that they just don't want to spend the money. It doesn't matter but stop the insane debate about which is better. 91/93 vs 87 is like Chevy VS Ford

Dennis
First of all i didn't state the debate or care to foster the debate. If your changing oil every 3 to 5k no oil is going to be inherently better than the other. Unless your racing and keeping high revs is a moot point. As for gas i use 93 but have run tanks of 87 with no noticeable difference in mpg in long range trips bur is a slightly different story with shorter trips. The difference shows up sometimes when you need to accelerate real fast to get around traffic on the interstate for me. The LS is not done exotic car that costs crazy amounts of money and i would argue iits not even the best car in its class but it is probably the most reliable imo. I doubt the reason anyone uses 87 or Super tech is because they can't afford the extra $5 in gas or the extra $10 in oil. Is total nonsense to suggest that imo. Is like some type of badge of honor to say i use premium and Amsoul around here. Almost laughable to me.
Old 09-15-18, 06:47 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

sha4000

So Noted. For the record I don't use Amsoil either. I use Toyota 5W20

Dennis