LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lack of storage

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-18, 10:28 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Lack of storage

One thing I hate about my LS460 is the lack of storage for keys, phones, etc. Most cars have a little tray in the front of the center console where ours has the cup holders. I bought those trays that go in between the seats and the console, but couldn't use them because the seats move every time I turn the car on and off. Turns out I was able to use them after all by inserting them under the trim on the side of the center console.
Old 09-08-18, 01:17 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 309 Likes on 269 Posts

You can turn off the auto seat movement in the settings, just FYI.
Old 09-08-18, 03:57 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 294 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by DerrickM
One thing I hate about my LS460 is the lack of storage for keys, phones, etc. Most cars have a little tray in the front of the center console where ours has the cup holders. I bought those trays that go in between the seats and the console, but couldn't use them because the seats move every time I turn the car on and off. Turns out I was able to use them after all by inserting them under the trim on the side of the center console.
As Keith has stated above, this feature called "Easy Exit" can be turned off in the Vehicle Settings menu. In fact, I hate Easy Exit for two reasons. First, I just don't like the feeling of sliding back when I turn off the car. Second, the sliding seat "crushes" the legs of the rear passenger. I do like the steering wheel moving up and away, and this movement is not affected by turning off Easy Exit.
Old 09-08-18, 04:44 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

I like the easy exit. Especially the steering wheel retracting. I just wish car companies would provide more storage on and around the center console.
Old 09-08-18, 05:54 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

There is plenty of space for phones, keys and stuff under the center armrest. There is also the small drawer on the left side below the air vent. You can always use a phone holder to store the phone at the dash.
Old 09-09-18, 07:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

That looks pretty slick actually.

Issue is you just never see those sort of trays and cubby areas on luxury cars. Its a balance of what looks good, and whats more functional, and in a luxury car "looks good" often takes precedence over what is more functional. Luxury crossover and utilities less so than sedans and coupes, because its expected they would have a "utilitarian" vibe somewhat.

If you look around at dash designs and console designs of luxury cars from most manufacturers you'll see that. Open trays and things of that nature are useful, but ugly.
Old 09-09-18, 07:42 AM
DerrickM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Issue is you just never see those sort of trays and cubby areas on luxury cars. Its a balance of what looks good, and whats more functional, and in a luxury car "looks good" often takes precedence over what is more functional. Luxury crossover and utilities less so than sedans and coupes, because its expected they would have a "utilitarian" vibe somewhat.

If you look around at dash designs and console designs of luxury cars from most manufacturers you'll see that. Open trays and things of that nature are useful, but ugly.
Yeah, I guess you're right. It's part of what makes that wonderful first impression when you sit in the car for the first time in the showroom. It's like the sliding console door--looks super spiffy when you're in the showroom playing with it, but when you drive it for a while you realize that you can't actually reach into the open console with your right hand, and you can't have anything/anyone in the center area behind the console or it won't open. (That's something they fixed in the new generation--the lid magically opens to either side).
Old 09-09-18, 10:48 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 309 Likes on 269 Posts

Mercede Benz used to have map pockets/nets on the side of the transmission tunnel by the front seats. Not sure if they still do this.
Old 09-09-18, 11:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Mercede Benz used to have map pockets/nets on the side of the transmission tunnel by the front seats. Not sure if they still do this.
Not any longer on most of the new models
Old 09-09-18, 10:44 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by DerrickM
Yeah, I guess you're right. It's part of what makes that wonderful first impression when you sit in the car for the first time in the showroom. It's like the sliding console door--looks super spiffy when you're in the showroom playing with it, but when you drive it for a while you realize that you can't actually reach into the open console with your right hand, and you can't have anything/anyone in the center area behind the console or it won't open. (That's something they fixed in the new generation--the lid magically opens to either side).
The Infiniti Q45 from the 1990s also had a center console lid that opened right or left. I was very impressed by that and kept testing it to figure how how the hinges and latches worked. The Q45 was the first car I saw that had this feature and I have not seen in again since. Nice that the LS 500 can do this decades after the Q.
Old 09-09-18, 11:43 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
The Infiniti Q45 from the 1990s also had a center console lid that opened right or left. I was very impressed by that and kept testing it to figure how how the hinges and latches worked. The Q45 was the first car I saw that had this feature and I have not seen in again since. Nice that the LS 500 can do this decades after the Q.
The S-class and 7-series also have this feature.