LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dead Transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 02:01 PM
2013lx570
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck.

I also, had my transmission fluid fully exchanged on the bg system at 86,000 miles on my LX. My parents have a camry with 240,000 miles. The transmission fluid exchanged on the bg system at 100,000 and 225,000 miles. I would escalate your claim with BG with a claims manager. I would request the denial in writing. I would calmly and politely let them you are an active member on club lexus. Your friends and families will see the denied claim. I would also politely let them know that word of mouth especially with social media and/or is the best form of advertisement. They can make a difficult situation into a palatable and get great press. I would even let the manager know about this posting.

By the way, UDEL is giving great advice. His posts are well thought out. I don't know if an attorney would take this case unless he is a friend of yours. I think you can leverage this forum and social postings in obtaining some contributions from dealership, toyota, and/or bg. Obtain the dealerships insurance carrier information and file a claim for erros/ommissions.
The following users liked this post:
UDel (09-21-18)
Old 09-21-18, 04:16 PM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013lx570
Good luck.

I also, had my transmission fluid fully exchanged on the bg system at 86,000 miles on my LX. My parents have a camry with 240,000 miles. The transmission fluid exchanged on the bg system at 100,000 and 225,000 miles. I would escalate your claim with BG with a claims manager. I would request the denial in writing. I would calmly and politely let them you are an active member on club lexus. Your friends and families will see the denied claim. I would also politely let them know that word of mouth especially with social media and/or is the best form of advertisement. They can make a difficult situation into a palatable and get great press. I would even let the manager know about this posting.

By the way, UDEL is giving great advice. His posts are well thought out. I don't know if an attorney would take this case unless he is a friend of yours. I think you can leverage this forum and social postings in obtaining some contributions from dealership, toyota, and/or bg. Obtain the dealerships insurance carrier information and file a claim for erros/ommissions.
The BG claim really doesn't make sense in my case. They clearly state that the milage on the car at time of service is 100k. I will seek a written denial claim though.

Also I'm not trying to escalate this claim on social media. It's really not that serious there is no willful neglect nobody did this on purpose. And Toyota corporate just got my claim today. I just want my car fixed and this rental paid for.

If I get push back I'll do what I have to but I would rather not make this a thing especially on the internet. I have however been putting myself in a position throughout this ordeal in case the worse case happens but I am hoping it doesn't go there.
Old 09-21-18, 10:10 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 1NSIGHT
The BG claim really doesn't make sense in my case. They clearly state that the milage on the car at time of service is 100k. I will seek a written denial claim though.

Also I'm not trying to escalate this claim on social media. It's really not that serious there is no willful neglect nobody did this on purpose. And Toyota corporate just got my claim today. I just want my car fixed and this rental paid for.

If I get push back I'll do what I have to but I would rather not make this a thing especially on the internet. I have however been putting myself in a position throughout this ordeal in case the worse case happens but I am hoping it doesn't go there.
You don't need to go through social media or threaten to do it yet, it is just a option if they try to deny paying for it which unfortunately they are likely to do, Toyota will likely try to get out of it and just blame BG so they are not responsible and BG will say the mileage is not covered, that is what they do. Fact is Toyota/BG performed a service that damaged and may have ruined your transmission, you should not have to pay for the damage, you should have have been warned or denied this service especially at your mileage. The trans shop says it may need a thorough cleaning, that is something you can use, you can say the BG flush did not get everything out and the result has damaged my transmission, why is my mileage limited if it was your work/machine that did not properly remove everything that needed to be removed resulting in damage to a transmission that worked perfectly fine before your service. If they still say the mileage is too high then say the service should have been denied or I should have been warned with the mileage which is something techs should be clearly aware of and taught. You can bring up either this is the first time you have used the BG service or you have used it before but will never use it or recommend it again after this incident and then tell them you have been talking about this on a popular forum and will be sharing your experience on several car forums, review sites(hit them with the 1 star as many places as you can), BBB, social media, etc. Many companies don't want the bad reviews/publicity and that can be what gets them to make a offer.

You are like going to have to fight a little for it, don't give up too easy or accept them telling you there is nothing they can do or their BS excuses/limited warranty nonsense, you did nothing wrong and are going to have to pay a lot of money for their mistakes.
mckellyb (09-22-18)
Old 09-26-18, 10:04 AM
2013lx570
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any updates?
steele (09-28-18)
Old 10-02-18, 08:00 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Any updates?
Old 10-04-18, 10:03 AM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

My transmission has been fixed by a local transmission shop which I am extremely happy about. It was a bit expensive but the cost was 70% in the new parts the solenoids.

Toyota Dealership is saying that they have no proof that they broke the car because I didn't take it back to them. This discussion about reimbursement began today BTW.
Old 10-04-18, 01:00 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

My transmission has been fixed by a local transmission shop which I am extremely happy about. It was a bit expensive but the cost was 70% in the new parts the solenoids.

Toyota Dealership is saying that they have no proof that they broke the car because I didn't take it back to them. This discussion about reimbursement began today BTW.
What a BS excuse but predictable, that is what they do to try to weasel out of paying for their mistakes, find any way to deny it. You took it to a Lexus dealership where they confirmed it was damaged, basically same thing as a Toyota dealership, you then took it to a transmission shop where they confirmed it was damaged, I am sure you contacted this Toyota dealership after it happened. This is unfortunately why I said to hold off having it fixed because you may have to have that Toyota dealership look at it to confirm it for them to pay any money. Keep hounding the dealership, ask to speak to supervisors and asking why does it matter if you confirmed it/or another place did and ask do you even have the equipment to confirm it, keep up on BG asking why they/their techs did not warn you not to do it or refuse to do it because of the mileage and why their machine did not get all the gunk out which led to the damage. Have the transmission shop confirm and get documentation the damage was done by a transmission flush and come back at them with that.

If they still won't budge tell them there should be some kind of reimbursement if they won't fully reimburse, ask how you can you do a service and ruin a transmission and then just deny even any or partial reimbursement. If they still won't offer anything after that hit the Toyota dealership and BG with 1 star reviews on yelp, their site, other review sites, get as many people you can to give them 1 stars, file a BBB complaint, and maybe talk to a lawyer/small claims.

Sorry to read this happening to you.
2013lx570 (10-05-18)
Old 10-04-18, 03:45 PM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I am happy for you. WOW! Somebody that can FIX something! So how expensive was it? Did they have to pull the transmission or just the pan?
2013lx570 (10-08-18)
Old 10-04-18, 07:55 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

So I think everybody who’s been reading this thread is curious to know what exactly they did to repair the tranny and how much it cost.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 10-04-18 at 08:05 PM.
2013lx570 (10-05-18)
Old 10-05-18, 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,977 Posts

What did it wind up costing you? I'd hire an attorney to at least send them a letter and see if that gets you anything.

In the VERY least they should refund the cost of the "flush" they did.
2013lx570 (10-05-18)
Old 10-07-18, 03:15 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

So this is it the thread is over! A lot of people were interested and gave their time and opinions about this rare transmission issue. As for me I am not satisfied that the person who requested our help and input feels its ok to just leave us hanging not disclosing the specifics of the work performed on the transmission and the cost involved. Nobody is going to bash the amount paid, we know things are ridiculously expensive. This forum is about important information and what was wrong with the transmission is key to future people with similar problems.
2013lx570 (10-08-18)
Old 10-07-18, 05:09 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the key lesson to learn is that you can damage a Lexus transmission. Ensure that you change your transmission fluid properly and avoid harsh flushing machines. I'd imagine a quality used transmission swap would a viable option depending on repair bill for damaged transmission.

It'd be nice to know the followup, but no one is obligated to do so either.

Change your transmission fluid but don't machine flush it!
Old 10-09-18, 01:53 PM
1NSIGHT
Rookie

Hey guys. I'm going to go ahead and file in small claims court. I'm gonna atleast try I honestly believe I deserve to be reimbursed the cost of the repairs fully.

The fix cost me 1600. Plus 300 for the rental car. Of the 1600, 900 was for 3 solenoids. The rest was other parts and labor.

Old 10-09-18, 03:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Hey guys. I'm going to go ahead and file in small claims court. I'm gonna atleast try I honestly believe I deserve to be reimbursed the cost of the repairs fully.

The fix cost me 1600. Plus 300 for the rental car. Of the 1600, 900 was for 3 solenoids. The rest was other parts and labor.
Good luck.

So they were not going to try to help you or take any blame at all? Just deny, deny and blame you. Typical. Keep us updated.
Old 10-10-18, 12:53 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

$300 per solenoid?!

Something is fishy...though, it appears they retail for about $250 each, which is insane.

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/oem-le..._solenoid.html

Quick Reply: Dead Transmission??