LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tire issue Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18 | 11:58 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Default Tire issue Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

First time have had to replace tires on any car with this low of mileage. Installed 4 years ago but only have 14K miles on them. Have had them rotated once a year.
Or is this normal for the car. 2011 LS460 sport.
Fronts have 5/32 but rears only 2/32 thread depth.
Really like the tires. I wanted more of a firm or sport feel over the factory tires and these worked good. And if the 14K mileage is normal for our cars will just get another set.

Any suggestions
Thanks
Old 09-17-18 | 02:06 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by RR601
First time have had to replace tires on any car with this low of mileage. Installed 4 years ago but only have 14K miles on them. Have had them rotated once a year.
Really like the tires. I wanted more of a firm or sport feel over the factory tires and these worked good. And if the 14K mileage is normal for our cars will just get another set.

Any suggestions
Thanks
Most will say driving style plays a big factor. That said, you're barely getting 1/3 of the rated 45K mileage on that ultra-high performance tire. Normally, I would think something is very wrong. However, for several years I've only been able to get 50% of the rated tread life from Michelins, so your 31% on a performance tire, driven aggressively could be reasonable. Interesting that there's such a difference left between your fronts and rears, as if a rotation was missed. The fronts can still squeeze out a few thousand more miles.
Old 09-18-18 | 03:40 AM
texas008
Advanced

I usually get 20k miles for mostly local driving and 27k miles for mostly highway miles.
You get the prorated credit per mileage warranty when getting new set of tires.
Old 09-18-18 | 10:17 AM
sprtent
Pit Crew

For the last ~6k miles, my fronts went down by about 1.5/32. I think I can do around 35-40k total with these tires with regular rotations.
Old 09-18-18 | 10:20 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Any suggestions
Thanks
What does the treadwear rating number say on the sidewall of your tires?
Old 09-18-18 | 04:04 PM
BigMau
Rookie

I agree that the rotation is suspect with such a difference. It also suggests that you might have a much heavier right foot than you think.
Old 09-19-18 | 10:58 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Just to follow up. Yes maybe I do drive a little aggressive. This is not my daily driver, so when I do drive the LS. I do like to enjoy it sometimes. But never actually dog the car or spinning tires.
But anyway still a Michelin fan. The past 25 years I have always used this brand. Before this I had learned they handle good and last longer so worth the extra cost. And always had 3 vehicles at any given time using same brand.
And first time I needed this, but good customer service.
I called and explained my problem. They at first would only prorate the two problem tires. I explained we would be getting a complete set either way. Did not wanted to replace two tires at a time. Not sure if this had anything to do with it. But found out they now dont make the exact same one. Now there is a new plus version. So I am getting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus.
They are giving me 60% credit on the 2/32 tires and 40% credit on the 5/32 tires. So I will end up getting a new set of 4 and pay half price.
I am more than happy with this. Since I also think maybe the dealer was not actually doing the rotation like they should. Only thing that makes since to me. Will remember next time to mark a wheel to double check.
Old 09-19-18 | 01:01 PM
BigMau
Rookie

RR601: Thanks for the excellent follow up information.
Old 09-19-18 | 01:34 PM
TexasTea
Rookie

Just to follow up. Yes maybe I do drive a little aggressive. This is not my daily driver, so when I do drive the LS. I do like to enjoy it sometimes. But never actually dog the car or spinning tires.
But anyway still a Michelin fan. The past 25 years I have always used this brand. Before this I had learned they handle good and last longer so worth the extra cost. And always had 3 vehicles at any given time using same brand.
I called and explained my problem. They at first would only prorate the two problem tires. I explained we would be getting a complete set either way. Did not wanted to replace two tires at a time. Not sure if this had anything to do with it. But found out they now dont make the exact same one. Now there is a new plus version. So I am getting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus.
They are giving me 60% credit on the 2/32 tires and 40% credit on the 5/32 tires. So I will end up getting a new set of 4 and pay half price.
I am more than happy with this. Since I also think maybe the dealer was not actually doing the rotation like they should. Only thing that makes since to me. Will remember next time to mark a wheel to double check.

That is nice that they did the 50% pro-ration for you as the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires in the 19 inch size run about $224 at Sams Club. I have a 19 inch set of them on my 2012 460L installed at 60k miles and there is hardly any wear at the current 68k miles. They offer a firm and sporty ride, and stop really well on dry pavement as I have had to slam on the brakes going 30 MPH to stop in about 30 feet in a left turn lane at a $75 red light camera intersection which had a green arrow that quickly changed to red. If I went any faster to make it through the green left turn arrow, I would have hit the car in front of me that was also making the left turn on the green turn arrow but from a stop. The tires also handle well in rain, but I have not yet had to stop quickly on wet pavement.
Old 09-19-18 | 03:53 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

how often are we supposed to rotate tires and how are they supposed to be rotated?
Old 09-19-18 | 04:07 PM
ngaybuon55
Driver School Candidate

I keep my car tires rotation every 5000 miles together with engine oil change. The tires rotation from left front to right rear and right front to left rear.
Old 09-19-18 | 04:10 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

are the michelin pilot sport a/s 3 tire directional? if they are they can only be rotated front to rear and back, not across the car, unless they are unmounted and remounted with the inside sidewall to the outside when they cross the car.
Old 09-19-18 | 04:31 PM
ngaybuon55
Driver School Candidate

The Pilot Sport A/S 3 is not directional.
http://www.autos.ca/auto-product-rev...ot-sport-as-3/
Old 09-19-18 | 04:50 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ngaybuon55
The Pilot Sport A/S 3 is not directional.
http://www.autos.ca/auto-product-rev...ot-sport-as-3/
thanks, wasn't sure.

so that begs the question, was the dealer cross rotating or only rotating front to rear and back, based on the wear being equal on both front or both rears, it seems they were only rotating front to back.
Old 09-19-18 | 05:23 PM
writes123
Pole Position

I also have these Michelin's and am finding them wear decently well. Previous owner had them installed in 2's (front then rear) by Costco. I'm leaning towards Pirelli P7's after these wear out or opting for Primacy's as I prefer softer ride and longer treadwear versus higher dry grip. I follow the advice of 3k miles for rotation (and balancing if included) for the initial few rotations and then moving to a 5-7.5 k rotation after the midway point. Many Discount/America's tire will rotate your tires for free, so taking advantage of this might be something worth taking a look into.

Sidenote, since the cars come with a fullsize spare, the owner's manual specifies rotating in the spare tire. I doubt many owners actually do this, but it does make sense that the spare tire, if OEM, will deteriorate eventually due to tire age.

One of my hesitations of swapping tire sizes to 255/45R19's is the spare tire issue but I suppose many cars use alternate spare tires for limited use. Something for me to think about when i need a new set of tires as my speedometer is slower by 1-2 mph's with factory stock 245/45R19's.

Quick Reply: Tire issue Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3