LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Another September parking lot accident

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 01:38 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Another September parking lot accident

A lady in a Miata backed out of an adjacent parking space and hit my car last September 2017. Luckily, witnesses took her info for me before she tried to speed away.

This time, we organized a fundraiser last week to support a child classmate battling brain cancer. It was a huge turnout and great to see the support for the child and single Mom. Afterwards, we walk to the car and see someone left a nice wide streak of paint on my driver's door (and some on the very bottom edge too). Over the weekend my daughter learned to use the dual action orbital polisher and helped remove 99% of the damage. Fortunately, no dents but there is still very light scuffing at one spot on the leading edge of the rear door. I dont think there's much more we can do about it.

The spot I was parked in was roomy and yet this other driver still manages to make contact. Sigh. I couldn't park far away because it was a big turnout for the fundraiser. My two dashcams were useless because power was off. I have since started plugging the dashcams into a portable jumpstarter that I usually keep in the trunk. This provides about two hours of power when the engine is off, but then risks a dead jumpstarter if I ever need it, lol. I may upgrade the dashcams as it is cheaper than an insurance deductible if this happens again in the future.

Before:

After:
Old 09-18-18, 02:07 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Hi Fto1,
Sorry to hear about the mishap. Looks like you and your daughter got it cleaned up really well. Sometimes, there is just no way to avoid parking with vehicles on both sides; one can only hope that if something were to happen that it would be as easy to fix as yours. Still the aggravation and stress of seeing the damage is a bxxxh!
Old 09-18-18, 03:00 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Thanks, comotiger. I was definitely miffed at the initial discovery. I am pleased with the end result and cherish the memory of working together with our daughter to fix it. She (kid, not car) is the center of our world and she fixed up Daddy's car real good.
Old 09-18-18, 04:55 PM
ShaneAlan
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe you have a potential daughter that may enjoy working in a body shop,,,������
Old 09-19-18, 09:24 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

A Miata is one of the smallest cars on the road. If this driver can't handle a Miata, they don't need to be driving.

Let's list some both humorous & serious potential solutions to this occurrence, shall we?
  • A device that prevents R gear selection for women drivers.
  • Change all parking spaces to pull through only.
  • Include brake lock down when sensing an obstruction with the rear sensors while in Reverse.
  • Make the rear bumper more like a tailgate that can be sat on and includes basic controls, and the vehicle can only move in a reverse direction when operated from the rear bumper.
I thought I would have a bunch more, but I'm not that clever.
Old 09-19-18, 10:09 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

For my dash cam, I use something like this:
Amazon Amazon

My cam is on 24 hours and shuts off when battery voltage is getting low. Make sure to get a strong microSD card for the cam as the 24/7 read/write will work it to the max...
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (09-20-18)
Old 09-19-18, 11:02 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Guess I need a cam because I'm dealing with this right now. Hit in a parking garage and didn't leave any info so it's costing me $250 due to my carrying uninsured/underinsured coverage.
Old 09-19-18, 12:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

At least it came out! So frustrating
Old 09-19-18, 02:42 PM
lizhekb
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear it.

That's a job well done.

Last week at a parking lot, while I was in the driver seat, the van next to me opened the door and bang it hit on my car. I heard the sound and felt the shake. I immediately look out for the diver, a woman, looked like nothing happens and just turned her engine on for driving.

I got out the car and knocked on her window. She opened the window and looked at me like 'what's the problem'. I said you hit my car when you opened your door. She did not say anything and her facial expression like saying ' so what'.

I examined the car and find there was a scratch on my door. The clear coat was damaged but no ding or dent.

Now she started talking. She said 'you parked so close and I did not see any damage'.

Well, I was between arguing with someone who is not responsible at all or just beat it.

I chose latter. I said nothing and got back to my car.

She drove away and when passing my car she looked at my direction with a expression which made my day.

Old 09-20-18, 10:07 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
For my dash cam, I use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/MicroUSB-Mini...egulator&psc=1

My cam is on 24 hours and shuts off when battery voltage is getting low. Make sure to get a strong microSD card for the cam as the 24/7 read/write will work it to the max...
Thanks for the link, joedaddy1! Most of the reviews are very positive. Did you experience any radio interference with FM or XM as reported by one of the reviewers? The wife has already approved my idea of a new dashcam system with 24/7 feature (and we will move my current setup to her car). I will probably still get one or two units of what you recommended. Thanks again.
Old 09-20-18, 12:34 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thanks for the link, joedaddy1! Most of the reviews are very positive. Did you experience any radio interference with FM or XM as reported by one of the reviewers? The wife has already approved my idea of a new dashcam system with 24/7 feature (and we will move my current setup to her car). I will probably still get one or two units of what you recommended. Thanks again.
the link i posted isn't the exact same model I used.
In fact, try to find a model that better than the one I posted.
I think mine cuts off at 11.7v or so. My car struggles to start at that voltage. I don't even know what the stock/normal voltage is. Perhaps you can buy a model that has a setting for 11.9v or 12.1v..

Anyhow, no issue with FM/XM everything is fine.

Not sure when the car hits 11.7v.. The car definitely doesn't hit that overnight.. maybe not even up to 72 hours.. I know for sure my cam cuts off after a week (at airport parking lot)... never checked when exactly it cut off. My dashcam is Wifi model with no built-in screen. Perhaps that helps with "battery" life. Car will NOT start in the sub zero temps after 2 weeks of parking. I usually unplug the dashcam USB when I am leaving for more than a week in the winter.

Last edited by joedaddy1; 09-20-18 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-22-18, 05:37 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
the link i posted isn't the exact same model I used.
In fact, try to find a model that better than the one I posted.
I think mine cuts off at 11.7v or so. My car struggles to start at that voltage. I don't even know what the stock/normal voltage is. Perhaps you can buy a model that has a setting for 11.9v or 12.1v..

Anyhow, no issue with FM/XM everything is fine.

Not sure when the car hits 11.7v.. The car definitely doesn't hit that overnight.. maybe not even up to 72 hours.. I know for sure my cam cuts off after a week (at airport parking lot)... never checked when exactly it cut off. My dashcam is Wifi model with no built-in screen. Perhaps that helps with "battery" life. Car will NOT start in the sub zero temps after 2 weeks of parking. I usually unplug the dashcam USB when I am leaving for more than a week in the winter.
I had just placed an order for a new set of dashcams and Power Magic Pro hardwire kit. Then this morning I used my air compressor to air up the tires and on the second tire the unit displayed weak power and my battery didn't have enough juice to start the car anymore. Fortunately I keep a portable jumpstarter in my trunk but the experience has me second guessing the idea of wiring dashcams to my car battery. My battery is only a year old and also died after sitting four days at the airport garage last month. I am due for an oil change and will have my mechanic check out the battery and this TSB link on post #12. Until I get it resolved I dont feel comfortable running dashcams off the car battery. Maybe I will an external power bank.