LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Door Panels finally replaced!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 01:17 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Arrow Door Panels finally replaced!

After a year & a half my door panels are finally replaced!
Took about 3 hours this morning, my only issue is that the wood grain doesn’t match.
I told the service advisor, but he said it was built to my vin & should be a match. He also said it could’ve probably changed color over the past 10+ years.
Total was $3,643.62, labor was only $170
What would you guys do about the mismatched wood?

EDIT:
I forgot to mention, this was done as "goodwill/warranty repair" I paid nothing out of pocket & was even given a loaner for the couple hours it took.

Before

After

This actually bugs me more than it should

Last edited by MobbinVIP; 09-20-18 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-20-18, 01:31 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I believe that is real wood. So I guess there would be degradation over time, more so than a composite. Leading to a mismatch. That would seem to make some sense to me. Don't know what I would do about it. Maybe weight for the new to match the rest of it? There are somethings that would really irk me. I'm not sure that is one of them. Maybe … maybe not. Glad you got it done finally!
Old 09-20-18, 01:51 PM
RussLS460
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I could not live with that! Do you have the wood trim pieces from your old panels? Why not replace the new pieces with the old one? Or, find a company that could vinyl wrap to match. There are so many types of wrap these days that look identical to wood veneer.

Last edited by RussLS460; 09-20-18 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-20-18, 02:25 PM
TriC
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 201 Posts

The extent of the mismatch is literally unbelievable.

If you kept the old door panels (or can retrieve them pronto from the dealer), take a look at the backside to determine if it is possible/practical to swap panels.
Old 09-20-18, 03:14 PM
tx170754
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I’m not so sure about degradation but the wood grain looks different, it is definitely not the same wood as the 10 years old original one and probably it cannot be....
Old 09-20-18, 04:35 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
I believe that is real wood. So I guess there would be degradation over time, more so than a composite. Leading to a mismatch. That would seem to make some sense to me. Don't know what I would do about it. Maybe weight for the new to match the rest of it? There are somethings that would really irk me. I'm not sure that is one of them. Maybe … maybe not. Glad you got it done finally!
If it does overtime get to be "discolored" to match the old wood, the older wood would technically change too over the same time.

Originally Posted by RussLS460
I could not live with that! Do you have the wood trim pieces from your old panels? Why not replace the new pieces with the old one? Or, find a company that could vinyl wrap to match. There are so many types of wrap these days that look identical to wood veneer.
I asked about using the old wood, they said it is all one piece & they can't do anything about it. I wouldn't want to cover up the beautiful wood with vinyl

Originally Posted by TriC
The extent of the mismatch is literally unbelievable.

If you kept the old door panels (or can retrieve them pronto from the dealer), take a look at the backside to determine if it is possible/practical to swap panels.
Dealer wouldn't let me keep the old panel

Originally Posted by tx170754
I’m not so sure about degradation but the wood grain looks different, it is definitely not the same wood as the 10 years old original one and probably it cannot be....
I am going to talk to the manager again tomorrow. It bugs be how not only the color is off, but the pattern seem different as well, but I understand its hard to match something 10+ years old with just a vin #
Old 09-20-18, 10:48 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

What you're dealing with on the mismatch is different factory suppliers for the same part. They've either changed suppliers for the door panel, or the "sub" supplier for the wood has changed or doesn't have access to the same wood trim, etc... Any number of things could have changed in a decade. While the wood trim may fade due to UV light that difference is fairly significant, and I agree the grain doesn't match. Resolution will be hard because all the dealer can do is order the part number and you'll get what shows up. There's no telling which lot or supplier or even how old the part is because no one gets to choose which warehouse shelf it comes off. You'd have to do a deep dive on Lexus suppliers and lot numbers to try and track down info if it's even available.
I would go dumpster dive behind the dealer and get your old trim, haha.
Old 09-20-18, 11:03 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

So what was wrong with your door panels? You have leather stitched door panel handles which don't fail like rubber ones. Your old one just looks dirty.
Old 09-21-18, 05:16 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MobbinVIP
If it does overtime get to be "discolored" to match the old wood, the older wood would technically change too over the same time.
Good point.
Old 09-21-18, 05:22 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by PwrdbyM
They've either changed suppliers for the door panel...
Having worked as a design engineer for Toyota, I can say that is VERY unlikely. Toyota is very loyal to their vendors, and vice-versa. They push their vendors to make them and their products better. The vendors do get better. The vendors become more sought after because they have been driven to become better. And what the vendors like best … they get PAID by Toyota with no games. Unlike when I worked at Hyundai. The vendors were much less responsive because Hyundai did whatever they could to prevent paying a vendor. That's my experience with just a small segment of differences between the 2 companies.
Old 09-21-18, 09:44 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 105 Likes on 89 Posts

the old panel looks fine..
Old 09-21-18, 10:46 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by texas008
Yeah it just looks dirty. The upper section of the door handle can get faded over time but I found a vendor on Ebay "Seats Restore" that make a perfect match leather paint/dye that restored the section of my door handle. It was a perfect match. I did my lower seat bolster also. Btw the color is "Light warm gray" Includes is a toothbrush shaped applicator which spreads the dye perfectly.

I would have the dealer order another set of panels to see if it will match better. When I did the 2008 GS350 brushed aluminum seat trim mod on my 2007 GS350, there was 1 out of 4 trip pieces was CLEARLY darker than the rest. I found myself always staring at the darker trim when I got into my car and could not live with the way it looked. I had the dealer order another batch. They claim that I needed a vin number which was BS. When the 2nd set came in it I was able to sort and match the final trim color perfectly.

Last edited by JLAWS; 09-21-18 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 11:18 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JLAWS
So what was wrong with your door panels? You have leather stitched door panel handles which don't fail like rubber ones. Your old one just looks dirty.
Originally Posted by texas008
Yes, dirty indeed, but my sense is that the black section along the glass is what was all sticky.
Old 09-21-18, 11:58 AM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Originally Posted by caha14
Yes, dirty indeed, but my sense is that the black section along the glass is what was all sticky.
Winner Winner, chicken dinner!

Not only sticky, but was cracking & falling apart around the top nearest to the glass. You could see the yellow/orange color foam that forms the top of the panel
Old 09-22-18, 12:46 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

The wood inserts are not available as a separate part but they DO come off the door. If the dealer has the old door panels, he can exchange them. Alternatively, if he doesn't have the panels or won't do it, the wood trim on the dash may be available in the new finish.

Quick Reply: Door Panels finally replaced!