LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help me in my thinking on an LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 10:23 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Help me in my thinking on an LS 460

Over the last month or so I've been looking at picking up a 2008-2012 LS460 to replace my work travel vehicle. I've been a Toyota guy since my first car (a 1978 Celica in 1982) and I've owned a number of their cars over the years including my 1992 MR2 Turbo that has 60k original miles). Currently, I'm using a 2007 Camry XLE and running 25K-30K a year on it. It's sitting at 230K right now and while still in decent shape, I know that I'll be staring at a repair equal to its value in the not too distant future in all likelihood. It seems like a great time to cash out of it and do something better. Hence the search for the LS460. After a great deal of reading here I've really had my eyes opened to a number of things. While I realize and accept that a car like an LS460 is going to be more expensive to maintain and operate than that bulletproof Camry, am I honestly looking at the wrong car here to be a road warrior? Appalachia and its road system aren't kind to cars. The air suspension and control arm stories make you go "hmmmm". I've since narrowed the window to 2010-2012 cars due to those issues alone. As much as I have to drive, I really want something quiet and comfortable. I just don't want to deal with something that isn't designed to take that kind of use. Any and all advice/consideration is appreciated.
Old 09-24-18, 10:56 AM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

you should look for an avalon. The comfort is similar with the LS.
Old 09-24-18, 11:18 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

You know, I actually had a 2014 Avalon Limited. It didn't inspire me any more than my 2007 Camry. If the comfort level of an Avalon is directly comparable to that of an LS, maybe I'm definitely looking in the wrong place. I traded the Avalon on a 2018 CPO Cadillac CT6 Platinum. Obviously, a newer LS would have been my first choice but I just can't do the new grille that they've devolved into in the 2013+ cars. That and I don't want to beat a new car to death either. The financial hit for high miles is just insane. If I'm going to burn a car down, I'm going to start at the bottom of the depreciation curve.
Old 09-24-18, 12:14 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

An LS is a good reliable car. I would find one without air suspension (and that goes for any make). I don't believe the model years you are looking at had control arm problems, but if they did, just don't have them replaced at a Lexus dealer.
Old 09-24-18, 12:31 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

If you can find a nice 2012 that has a good maintenance record it could be the right car for you.
Old 09-24-18, 05:08 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Ummmm, I had a 2013 Avalon hybrid LTD, and I’m trying to understand what do you mean by comfort??? If that’s the case than any newer car can be compared to the LS460 comfort wise. When I particularly think of comfort I look at the whole ambience of the interior cabin. For instance the softness and quality of the leather seats, the way the heater and ac functions quickly, the quietness of the cabin, the arm rest cushion, the sound of the audio, the way the car interior lights look when you get in, when you go over imperfections in the road and the car just floats above. I can go on and on, but my old Avalon reminded me of my 2007 Camry XLE just with better features.
Old 09-24-18, 05:25 PM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The Avalon is nothing like an LS. I mean nothing. I test drove a nearly new hybrid Avalon at a Lexus dealer last year the same day I drove a cpo LS. I really tried to like a brand new Avalon over the used LS but just couldn’t do it after seeing how much better the LS drove. It is not fair to the Avalon to compare it to the LS. ES to Avalon might be a fairer fight.
Old 09-24-18, 06:10 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

I get the Avalon/ES comparison. Mechanically and stylistically they are practically the same car. And certainly were when I owned my 2014. To think the LS wasn't any different from those two was rather off-putting. $80 large ought to be way better. WAY better.
Old 09-24-18, 07:39 PM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I know you are talking later years, but I have owned 2 Avalons, the last an 06, and now have an 07 cream puff LS. So comparing the 2 similar vintage, I can say that while the Avalon was fantastic, we call the LS an 'Avalon on steroids'. The Avalon Limited was comfortable, with heated/cooled seats, adequate power, and decent mpg. It did not have Bluetooth . The LS has great power, much quieter and more comfortable, especially for rear seat occupants, has bluetooth, satellite radio, heated and cooled seats front and back, and still has the wow factor the Avalon didn't. A 2012 RWD without air suspension i believe would be your best bet for the money, has the older grill, and should be very reliable, of course comfortable, and reasonably up to date on tech.
Old 09-24-18, 08:38 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

I've got to have AWD here in mountains. Way too much snow and ice to go RWD. Mountains and RWD leave a lot to be desired in the snow. I grew up learning to drive in that crap on bias-ply tires and RWD. No desire to take a step back to those days.
Old 09-25-18, 05:17 AM
RussLS460
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog
Over the last month or so I've been looking at picking up a 2008-2012 LS460 to replace my work travel vehicle. I've been a Toyota guy since my first car (a 1978 Celica in 1982) and I've owned a number of their cars over the years including my 1992 MR2 Turbo that has 60k original miles). Currently, I'm using a 2007 Camry XLE and running 25K-30K a year on it. It's sitting at 230K right now and while still in decent shape, I know that I'll be staring at a repair equal to its value in the not too distant future in all likelihood. It seems like a great time to cash out of it and do something better. Hence the search for the LS460. After a great deal of reading here I've really had my eyes opened to a number of things. While I realize and accept that a car like an LS460 is going to be more expensive to maintain and operate than that bulletproof Camry, am I honestly looking at the wrong car here to be a road warrior? Appalachia and its road system aren't kind to cars. The air suspension and control arm stories make you go "hmmmm". I've since narrowed the window to 2010-2012 cars due to those issues alone. As much as I have to drive, I really want something quiet and comfortable. I just don't want to deal with something that isn't designed to take that kind of use. Any and all advice/consideration is appreciated.
Life is short.......get the LS 460 AWD you want. Don't have any regrets.
Old 09-25-18, 10:23 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RussLS460
Life is short.......get the LS 460 AWD you want. Don't have any regrets.
Yeah, but get the 2013+ Ls460 awd. 5 years from now it won't look as old as a 2010
Old 09-25-18, 11:21 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

5 years from now it'll have over 200k on the clock and it won't matter. Out here in the hinterlands, an LS400 would still be stylish.
Old 09-25-18, 11:54 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog
5 years from now it'll have over 200k on the clock and it won't matter. Out here in the hinterlands, an LS400 would still be stylish.
I agree. Even here in suburbia my neighbor's dark blue LS 430 still looks classy. It's what got me looking at the LS series in the first place.
The following users liked this post:
DedBirdDog (09-26-18)
Old 09-25-18, 12:33 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I think your reasoning is solid. Sure you could burn down an even less expensive car (like you're doing with the Camry). But the LS is a serious road car. Yes, it is as solid as the Camry. As reliable, IMHO coming from being a Toyota design engineer? Meh, very close. Solid yes. Absolutely as reliable as a Camry … naaaah. That's due to the LS being so much more complex. There are (or at least were) engineers in Japan who jumped from windows in the design center to their death due to all the stress of getting it done right. Usually that only happened when one of those guys made a bad mistake. Anyway, the most pressure is on the Camry. Because it is the most common, most sold, has the most impact on customers, yields higher return customers, etc etc etc. The LS may be the flagship vehicle, but the Camry is the key to the U.S. market for the Japanese. So it has all the spotlights on it. And it is the best of all the Toyota vehicles. The Tacoma is right behind it.

In summary: I agree with your assessment, that the 2010 to 2012 is the best LS to burn the roads up with it. Not because those years are better. But because they're less expensive. And you will be pleased.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oliver Enterprises:
DedBirdDog (09-26-18), Soldier76 (09-25-18)

Quick Reply: Help me in my thinking on an LS 460