LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Wear Warning on LS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20 | 10:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you're doing it yourself, I would just do both front and rear.
Old 04-24-20 | 05:08 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If you're doing it yourself, I would just do both front and rear.
I will be, and I have them... Funny things about this sensors (I did get new ones) So, I have been doing some tests over the last days of driving it (Now that I am working from home because of COVID-19, I don't drive that as much). I am able to drive the car for 1/2 hour plus, as long as I don't come to complete hard stop... The sensor does not go off UNLESS I push the breaks down hard.

I've never seen this... Normally when your break pads are low, it breaks off something that breaks a connection that sets off the light, Next time you start the car, it will always go off till you replace it. This car is completely different. I can come to a smooth stop, and keep driving it like this and it will never give the wear light warning.... TILL I need to stop short, or push hard on the breaks...

So, are my break sensors gone and do I need to replace them ?????

I did buy everything, all 4 Rotors, pads, and sensors...but, I'd keep the OEM ones if they are still good...
Old 04-24-20 | 05:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It may be that they are just now eating into the brake sensors...

You should just replace them all anyways.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (04-24-20)
Old 04-25-20 | 04:08 AM
rick3242
Pit Crew

I purchased my 2010 460L about 2.5 years ago. It had 50k miles at the time and the brakes where spongy. They still had plenty of wear left but I still wanted to replace the rotors and pads. The mechanic told me that even though they had not been worn down he still wanted to replace the sensors. He told me that many times he has had issues trying to reuse them. Based on his recommendation and the fact that they are so inexpensive I went ahead and replaced them and have had zero issues.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (04-25-20)
Old 06-29-20 | 01:21 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

How many brake sensors are there on the FSport? Is it 2, one front and one rear, or is there 1 for each wheel?

I had the wear sensor go off so I am looking for new pads, likely the posi quiets, and need to replace sensors. There are a million different sensors at all sorts of price points on rockauto. Any suggestions for what to buy?
Old 08-29-20 | 07:41 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
The sensors only only like $10-15 more from RockAuto, so it's not a big deal.
How much does it cost approximately to replace brake sensors at an indy shop? I'm being quoted around $300 for 2 sensors.
Old 08-29-20 | 07:55 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

What's the difference between a rear brake pad sensor and a rear disk brake pad sensor wire? That's the part my indy shop is saying is needed that has gone bad and the cost difference is over $120 more for each sensor?!
Old 08-29-20 | 11:15 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
How much does it cost approximately to replace brake sensors at an indy shop? I'm being quoted around $300 for 2 sensors.
All you need to do is replace the pads if worn and then sensor, of only the actual sensor is having an issue then all that needs to be done is wheel removed, pad pins pulled, pad removed, sensor removed, new one clicked in, put everything back.
Old 04-17-22 | 08:59 AM
drgrant
Instructor

I went through hell and back to find a confirmation.,.. but all you really have to do with these stupid things is just cut the wires back, throw the sensor away and twist the two wires together, apply some solder. probably cover it with a bit of heat shrink or tape. Secure the remainder of the wire out of the way. I mean I get why they did this, its more elegant than squealers but its still stupid. Anyone with half a brain can make
this a service regimen thing. Not to mention iif you use a dealer for service, theyre measuring your pads anyways.

Not in english, but you get the gist pretty easily...

Old 04-17-22 | 09:02 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Originally Posted by Striker223
All you need to do is replace the pads if worn and then sensor, of only the actual sensor is having an issue then all that needs to be done is wheel removed, pad pins pulled, pad removed, sensor removed, new one clicked in, put everything back.
If one of your sensors has actually gone off, I would bet that 4 out of 5 times your rotors are starting to get roached, too. There's no reason not to dump rotors on these cars when they';re only like $128 ea for OEM and probably 60% that for centric or other halfway decent off brand. Realistically the only hard part about this job is the caliper bolts, and hoping that some dinknard didnt torque them way past 100 ft lbs. If theyre at spec, the biggest ratchet you can find that will fit in the wheelwell and a small sledge hammer will usually free the bolts.

ETA: Also the little clips that help hold the shims on the pads are fun. DO NOT throw away the old ones.... there is a possibility that you might LAUNCH one of the new ones into space, like I did yesterday. The "ways" on the brake channels are tight too, it helps to have a rubber mallet or similar to "encourage" the pads into place.
Old 01-08-23 | 08:44 AM
Miho35o
1st Gear

Having an odd problem with the brake pad warning message. I had replaced the rear pads but was unaware you needed to replace the sensors also if the brake pad warning message on the dash comes on. So I disconnected the rear sensors, thinking that would get rid of the warning (at least until I get new sensors) but it is still on. I checked the front pads to see if maybe they were low but they were not. I am at a loss as to why the warning message is still on.
Old 01-10-23 | 07:09 PM
IgorM
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Miho35o
Having an odd problem with the brake pad warning message. I had replaced the rear pads but was unaware you needed to replace the sensors also if the brake pad warning message on the dash comes on. So I disconnected the rear sensors, thinking that would get rid of the warning (at least until I get new sensors) but it is still on. I checked the front pads to see if maybe they were low but they were not. I am at a loss as to why the warning message is still on.

I’m also having a similar issue. Brake pads are fine but every time I’d hit a bump or pothole the warning light came on. I went ahead and replaced the front sensors but as soon as I hit a bump the light came on again.. has to be a lose/broken wire somewhere down the line
Old 01-10-23 | 07:30 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

You need to short them together to stop the warning, the wires are usually in contact with each other and if the loop is "open" that means the brakes wore though the sensor and that triggers the warning.
Old 01-24-24 | 09:41 PM
jrtmouse
6th Gear

Originally Posted by yyymmm31
-----
Sounds that one of the sensors is bad (shorted whatever the cause was). Do a simple test. Disconnect the brake pad sensor cables and then connect the sensor cable back one at a time. The one that triggers the wear warning is the bad one. Replace the bad sensor.
-----
Is there a way to disconnect the sensor while troubleshooting without having to remove the wheel? I remember replacing the sensor on my 430 was easy peasy but I also had the wheel off to replace brakes.
Old 01-26-24 | 01:05 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jrtmouse
Is there a way to disconnect the sensor while troubleshooting without having to remove the wheel? I remember replacing the sensor on my 430 was easy peasy but I also had the wheel off to replace brakes.
To jrtmouse: The brake pad wear indicator cable may be disconnected at the cable end without removing the wheel (a clipper socket) but there is limited room. It will be difficult, if not impossible, to remove the brake pad wear indicator cable on the brake pad without removing the wheel.

Correcting myself:
When the brake pad indicator sensor is worn, the brake pad warning signal wire is disconnected (broken), thereby sending out a brake pad wearing warning signal. To stop this annoying signal, some drivers cut the sensor wire and reconnect the two ends of the broken wire, while waiting for the new brake pads to arrive. I don't recommend permanently disabling the brake pad sensor by connecting the two ends of the broken wire. The brake pad wearing sensor serves its purpose for providing a warning when the brake pads have worn down to the point that they need immediate replacement. Personally, I would never wait for the brake pad wearing sensor light on to replace brake pads. I always replace the brake pads in advance of brake pad wear warning lights on, which saves the brake pad wear warning cable/sensor.
----

Last edited by yyymmm31; 01-26-24 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Wear Warning on LS460