LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

So i still have issues even after getting a refurbished steering rack

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-18, 12:35 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts
Default So i still have issues even after getting a refurbished steering rack

So after a week of driving, i lost power steering while stopped at a light and I have the same error messages as before..... power steering failure. vsc system check. I did not have VGRS system light.

This is after i was diagnosed as having a steering rack failure they wanted me to get a new rack but i went to an indy shop and got a refurb one which comes with 6mth warranty however problems arising a week in does not inspire confidence

A friend helped me pull the codes and both codes refuse to be reset so:

Previous codes which came up when the PS failed was C1304 and C1555, that was preceded by weird sounds when turning the steering wheel. We ultimately found out that one of the rubber shoes or whatever you call them was torn and allowed water to ingress. Ruined the thing, cannot be repaired,,,, supposedly and I had to get a refurb one... I do not really see a diff expect one costs 500-550 and one cost 800+ USD.

Current codes.
C1582 and C1304

My research on these forums, have thrown up some possibilities:
1. defective electrical connector on the steering rack - Cable connecting the steering rack might have come undone or is not making a proper connection.
2. PS ECU failure.
3. After market HID ballast or some other aftermarket stuff is causing interference with the motor or the PS ECU.
4. Problem with speed sensor on the front passenger wheel hub or wiring harness to that speed sensor
5. I checked the gas tank cap and it was not locking properly, I read that this can cause some errors as well so I ordered a new one.
6. faulty battery not supplying enough power causing these systems to fail.

Am I missing anything, other than the possibility that they supplied me with a faulty rack... which decided to act up a week after installation.

THANKS
The following users liked this post:
Cubbylex (10-08-18)
Old 10-08-18, 06:21 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry about the ty, hit the wrong button. Unfortunately,I cannot offer anything of value but good luck on getting things back in order.
Old 10-09-18, 03:47 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cubbylex
Sorry about the ty, hit the wrong button. Unfortunately,I cannot offer anything of value but good luck on getting things back in order.
Thanks !

Anyone else know anything more about this?
Old 10-13-18, 10:26 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

So the dealer pulled some codes but they codes they pulled was totally different than the code i pulled
they got C1515 and C1525 which are the torque sensor and rotation angle sensor respectively and they needed to be calibrated.

The ******** that replaced my steering rack did not tell me this needed to be done and also the refurbished steering rack had some issues with paint on the contacts which caused some issues with the connection and wiring... so I have to spend like 50+ USD and was without the car for a week to realise that this was a F-up caused by the people who repaired the rack.

This was the initial thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-steering.html
Old 10-13-18, 04:50 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

cool so you got it repaired now ?

May I ask where you got the steering rack from ? How long before the whining sounds starting did the system fail completely?

Thanks
Old 10-14-18, 01:51 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
cool so you got it repaired now ?

May I ask where you got the steering rack from ? How long before the whining sounds starting did the system fail completely?

Thanks
for now it’s ok...
in the US you can search a few places, a local shop here why it off to Poland ...

maybe be a month or something like that...

Old 10-15-18, 12:39 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca

for now it’s ok...
in the US you can search a few places, a local shop here why it off to Poland ...

maybe be a month or something like that...

thanks and did you have to replace just the steering column or the rack and pinion as well ?

appreciate the info