LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just Bought: 2013 LS 460 SWB

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 08:48 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Congrats DedBirdDog on your rare find! Keep us updated on your story when you get it. There are only a few of us out there with that special UL package. Mine is just like yours... 2013 SWB AWD UL pkg loaded with the same options. I got mine in May and loving it every day! The couple times my detailer cleaned her up, he told me that he'll buy this vehicle from me whenever I'm ready. Of course, my response is no way, not for sale. She's a rare beauty! I think you did great with that auction price, BTW. I was following auction prices also when I was searching at the beginning of this year and I think 2013 LS's with less features but of course half the mileage (60K) were going for 29K-32K. Mine had 87K on it when I got it in May and I paid 31K (+taxes, fees) at a Lexus dealer.

UDel Here's a shot of the rear seat panel for the UL pkg. And a shot of my beauty to go with it ;-)

WOW, AWD too!?!? You and DedBirdDog definitely have the rarest of the rare. Congrats to both of you!
The following 2 users liked this post by FatherTo1:
DedBirdDog (10-22-18), Mbbarron (10-20-18)
Old 10-20-18, 05:31 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by TriC
If it is at all nice, it likely will be listed at 40K or more.

It's amazing how dealers buy cars long distance at auction!
Interestingly enough, they listed it retail at $32k. That leaves them about $2500 profit after auction fees and transport. I can't tell from their pictures if the brake wear warning has been addressed or not but I'd guess it probably has not been. Still...a pretty solid deal on those options on a 2015.
Old 10-21-18, 05:11 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog
Interestingly enough, they listed it retail at $32k. That leaves them about $2500 profit after auction fees and transport. I can't tell from their pictures if the brake wear warning has been addressed or not but I'd guess it probably has not been. Still...a pretty solid deal on those options on a 2015.
I see that. It's at a high volume wholesale place (they claim to be the highest volume dealer in the state with 500 to 600 cars on the ground). Their Yelp reviews are terrible, but some others are not so bad. The photos are not the best, but clearly the rear bumper needs paint and possibly also the hood. The wood on the steering wheels might be damaged. The service records are odd with regular oil changes, but really nothing else much in the way of maintenance. Evidently it needs brakes too. It appears that it lived life in the greater New York City area, never a positive thing. Given its 84,000 miles, it might be a fair buy.

It really points out the powerful effect of mileage on late model values. For comparison, Lexus stores in the Seattle area have promptly sold 2 very low mileage LS cars in the last 2 weeks. One was a '15 Ultra Luxury AWD L with 10,000 miles listed for $52,000. The other was a '14 Ultra Luxury AWD L (in rare Fire Agate) with 20,000 miles listed at $46,300. Both were L/Certified and sold within a couple of days.

Last edited by TriC; 10-21-18 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Proof-reading twice is better than once!
The following users liked this post:
DedBirdDog (10-22-18)
Old 10-21-18, 10:46 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

it doesn't point out anything unless the car has not been in accident, or been painted
I wish the poster nothing but awesome vibes with it and hope i am wrong
but doesn't pass the smell test
a ls460 will run 250k with good maintenance , a car loaded up with all options and a good color combo wouldn't sell in that range usually if their was a clean car with no paint and work done. not saying its the case here but hoping whomever did the purchasing at the auction it was vetted out for that.
all being said its done and transported enjoy the beautiful ride and you bought it for a great price. love the color combo

i hope i am wrong and in no way taking away from the great purchase if it turns on the car is clean.. clean is not a clean car fax, one or two panels can be painted on car fax cars as long as air bag not deployed

kind of reminds me of threads of people getting 10--12k off msrp and then you find out that they have a trade in. the dealer buries the stealing of the trade in the deal to make it up when they cpo or sell the trade and make $$

cheers to many years of good driving to the new vehicle and update if the smell test is off

Last edited by mikesrx350; 10-21-18 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 11:10 AM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

You got a super deal on an amazing car, and that silver paint looks breathtaking. My 2007 Lexus LS460L was silver (one of my favorite colors on a car btw), but what Lexus done to this newer silver is a masterpiece from an art gallery for sure.
DedBirdDog (10-22-18)
Old 10-21-18, 11:20 AM
C5vetteguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car! I recently purchased a 2013 LS460 F Sport w/50K on the clock, and CPO'ed. I'm a prior Benz fanatic, underscore "prior!", but after dumping untold thousands into an MB that only had 45K on the clock, I went with Lexus. However, it appears that the ghost/curse of Mercedes unreliability has followed me to Lexus. As after 2 weeks of ownership of my LS, I noticed an ever so slight engine vibration while at stop lights... turns out, the front engine mounts were shot. This on a 50K LS460??? Seriously??? I would have thought that the alarms would have been blaring at Lexus corporate, but not so. My dealership service team was kinda "eh!" about the whole thing and assured me no costs to me out of my pocket. So, heads up all... and btw, my LS has a clean sheet of maintenance upkeep via the Lexus dealership records and a clean CarFax... but I put zero accuracy on CarFax as the reports miss so much regarding a vehicle's maintenance history. Anyway, heads up on the motor mounts.
DedBirdDog (10-22-18)
Old 10-22-18, 09:46 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

My car will be picked up tomorrow and shipped via truck for arrival on Wednesday. Only $300 shipped from Milwaukee to East Central Ohio. Hard to beat that.
Old 10-22-18, 10:01 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TriC
It really points out the powerful effect of mileage on late model values. For comparison, Lexus stores in the Seattle area have promptly sold 2 very low mileage LS cars in the last 2 weeks. One was a '15 Ultra Luxury AWD L with 10,000 miles listed for $52,000. The other was a '14 Ultra Luxury AWD L (in rare Fire Agate) with 20,000 miles listed at $46,300. Both were L/Certified and sold within a couple of days.
You are spot on here. Mileage, more than anything else, really affects the values of these cars. Right now, MMR on 2015 SWB's with 80+k miles sits around $26k. It's a $6k deduct for miles alone before you even get to condition. On the same note, a 20K mile car is a $6k MMR add to the base number. While mileage is certainly a factor that has to be considered, at least to me a well-maintained higher mile car can really be cherry. Highway miles loping along the interstate at 75mph don't hurt a car at all. But 20k city miles in stop and go traffic can wear things out much faster. The advantage of being able to see a service history cannot be underestimated.
Old 10-22-18, 10:35 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog
My car will be picked up tomorrow and shipped via truck for arrival on Wednesday. Only $300 shipped from Milwaukee to East Central Ohio. Hard to beat that.
Do you have any experience with auto transport brokers? Just be prepared that when they call you they may ask for more money, telling you that the $300 was just an estimate of what they thought it would take to get a driver would pick it up. I was quoted $750 from Wichita, KS to Baltimore, MD, then the driver picked it up without my authorization at a rate of $1,000. In the end I paid $925 after yelling, but was just happy to get my car without damage. Also, I suggest asking them to take a pic of the odometer from pick-up. Mine showed up with 300 additional miles on it. Maybe it's different going through the auction.
DedBirdDog (10-22-18)
Old 10-22-18, 11:03 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

This is all done through Central Dispatch which is a paid service through Manheim. You set the contract price as to what you are willing to pay (and you can set that based on similar fees on the same route that establishes the baseline) and they contract it at that price. In my case, for a 450 mile tri,p the prices averaged $300 and that's where I set my call. I had a callback on it within 20 minutes. As it's contracted at the time of posting, they have to honor it or they will be blacklisted from Manheim pickups.
Old 10-22-18, 02:56 PM
Leximum
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am curious as to how one goes about getting on MMR as an individual private buyer.
Old 10-22-18, 07:40 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Leximum
I am curious as to how one goes about getting on MMR as an individual private buyer.

Unfortunately, you can't. The only way is through a registered auto dealer. Same with ADESA. If you know one, ask and see if they are willing to help you out through their account.
Old 10-24-18, 10:01 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

The car came in on the transport this morning and I got to put almost 300 miles on it today.

The car is solid as a tank. It just feels so well put-together. Luxe floor mats from Lloyd's are on order and it'll get 20% tint all-around next week.

The bad: It arrived with a substantial crack in the windshield that was not on the Manheim Condition Report. The right rear Goodyear RS-A had been listed on the CR as 4/32nds but they failed to notice the inside edge of the tire. We've opened an arbitration case and I'll likely see at least $400 back off my purchase price for them missing these items. The car also showed a CEL and TRAC OFF light on delivery that were not there when it went through the auction. I pulled the codes this afternoon and they were all misfire codes (P0300, P0302, P0303, P0307). Oddly enough, the car runs like a sewing machine. Not a hint of misfire or off-idle at all. I'll clear the codes and see if they come back.

All in all I'm very pleased. As I stated at the beginning, I needed a car to rack up a lot of miles in comfort. I'm hoping this turns out to be the ticket.

Last edited by DedBirdDog; 10-25-18 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

No biggie on the tires, use the money you get back to get you a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus, it'll ride even better and quieter than it does now.

For the windshield, you need to try and get some bucks from them for that. You want to replace it with the OEM Lexus glass. If you use aftermarket glass you risk reducing the nice quiet highway nature of the car. Thats going to be a $2,000 affair installed. My guess is that happened in transport.

Its a fabulous car for what you intend to do with it.
DedBirdDog (10-25-18)
Old 10-25-18, 07:49 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts

I second that - replace it with (pricey) OEM glass for sure as it is a special part of the car. Someone can correct me if this is wrong about the LS 460, but, among other things, OEM glass is moisture repellant. I thought that was just a PR thing until buying my LS 430. However, a couple days after bringing it home last January we got 4 or 5 inches of snow while the car was outside. The car was covered in snow except for the windshield - the damned stuff simply didn't stick and it remained clear.
DedBirdDog (10-25-18)

Quick Reply: Just Bought: 2013 LS 460 SWB