LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just Bought: 2013 LS 460 SWB

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 04:57 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No biggie on the tires, use the money you get back to get you a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus, it'll ride even better and quieter than it does now.

For the windshield, you need to try and get some bucks from them for that. You want to replace it with the OEM Lexus glass. If you use aftermarket glass you risk reducing the nice quiet highway nature of the car. Thats going to be a $2,000 affair installed. My guess is that happened in transport.

Its a fabulous car for what you intend to do with it.
My guess also is that the windshield cracked during transport. I can't imagine they would have not noted or hidden something that major before purchase. I also second the OEM glass. I believe hearing from someone once that the UL package had double pane glass, but that might be every LS. Not exactly sure about that.
Old 10-26-18, 07:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Every car has dual paned windshield glass, but Lexus uses a thick acoustic glass. SWB LS460s have laminated dual pane windows on the front side windows also, and LWB LS460s have laminated dual paned windows on the rear windows as well.
Old 10-26-18, 11:20 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm still waiting on the arbitration case but I've got full glass coverage with a $50 deductible regardless. Thanks for the info on the OEM glass... I would have never known.
Tires are all replaced which certainly helped. One of the fronts had a tennis ball sized bulge on the inside (added to the arbitration) and getting 4 new tires really made a big difference.
Lastly, the previous owner still had his phone registered with the car and I called him. He was happy to talk to me about the car and was actually glad it went to someone who appreciated it Never wrecked and he was very diligent about its care. What he did tell me (and confirmed by the dealer who took the car to Manheim) was that the second key fob and books were with the car when it went not when I got it Hopefully Manheim comes up with them as I'm not happy about shelling out another $100 for a new fob.
Old 10-27-18, 04:27 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DedBirdDog
I'm still waiting on the arbitration case but I've got full glass coverage with a $50 deductible regardless. Thanks for the info on the OEM glass... I would have never known.
Tires are all replaced which certainly helped. One of the fronts had a tennis ball sized bulge on the inside (added to the arbitration) and getting 4 new tires really made a big difference.
Lastly, the previous owner still had his phone registered with the car and I called him. He was happy to talk to me about the car and was actually glad it went to someone who appreciated it Never wrecked and he was very diligent about its care. What he did tell me (and confirmed by the dealer who took the car to Manheim) was that the second key fob and books were with the car when it went not when I got it Hopefully Manheim comes up with them as I'm not happy about shelling out another $100 for a new fob.
Smart move calling the previous owner! Sounds like you're handling it all well and you got a great deal on a unicorn to make it worth your trouble!

What new tires did you put on? Did you ask the former owner what he traded it in for?
Old 10-27-18, 08:15 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

He traded it on a new ES and he told me he misses this car. Having put a lot of miles on a 2014 Avalon Limited I know why. There really is no comparison. He told me almost all of the miles were on his interstate commute to work. Given the service history I sort of suspected that and it was good to get confirmation.

I ended up putting Goodyear RS-A2's 245/45/19 on it simply because a local shop had a set on clearance for $300 mounted and balanced. I couldn't say no to that. Now the task is to get the curb rash on the wheels fixed and do some wet-sanding/buffing and it'll look good as new
Old 10-27-18, 08:24 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

He traded it on a new ES and he told me he misses this car. Having put a lot of miles on a 2014 Avalon Limited I know why. There really is no comparison. He told me almost all of the miles were on his interstate commute to work. Given the service history I sort of suspected that and it was good to get confirmation.

I ended up putting Goodyear RS-A2's 245/45/19 on it simply because a local shop had a set on clearance for $300 mounted and balanced. I couldn't say no to that. Now the task is to get the curb rash on the wheels fixed and do some wet-sanding/buffing and it'll look good as new
Our 2013 came with 19" GY RS-A2 and I thought they were decent tires (grip, noise, ride) for the price. The RS-A2 is standard equipment on the Tesla Model S. Goodyear does not list any kind of expected tread life so I don't know how the tires get pro-rated when you get near the wear bars. Not that it matters because at $300 you're paying 1/3 of what a set of P7+ or Premier AS would cost.
Old 10-27-18, 09:31 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

They're rated at 440 so I figure I'll get around 30-35k out of them.
Old 10-30-18, 08:20 AM
Gjohnson
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey DedBridDog, any more pictures of that interior. Color scheme looks cool, but I need better pics.
Old 10-30-18, 02:22 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Interior pictures by request. Note the new Lloyd Luxe mats that arrived today. Infinitely superior to the OEM style mats.

https://www.lloydmatsstore.com/luxe-floor-mats

Old 10-30-18, 04:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The Lloyd mats are a huge improvement. Interior looks like its in great shape!
The following users liked this post:
DedBirdDog (10-30-18)
Old 10-30-18, 05:19 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

It really is. There's some wear on the left side driver's seat bolster but I highly recommend Mother's VLR for cleaning and restoring leather. A little elbow grease and it really came back nicely.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-30-18, 06:24 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Wow you are one lucky person! Besides the car itself, tires for $300?! I just paid $1000 for my snow tires!
The following users liked this post:
DedBirdDog (10-30-18)
Old 10-30-18, 07:29 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

I just missed a set of Michelin X-Ice snow tires off of Craigslist that went for $300 too. With AWD though, I figure I'll be set. If it gets that bad, I'm staying home.
Old 10-30-18, 08:39 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I just missed a set of Michelin X-Ice snow tires off of Craigslist that went for $300 too. With AWD though, I figure I'll be set. If it gets that bad, I'm staying home.
That's a myth--you're safer with 2WD +winter tires than AWD + all season tires. Although I do agree with the staying home part. Would much rather let somebody slide into my 20 year old Acura than my LS!
Old 10-30-18, 08:47 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Heck, I remember learning to drive in the Appalachian Mountains in RWD cars with bias-ply tires. Today's vehicles are a world apart from how it was then. I think of the trips made back then in the cars we had and there's no way I'd do that stuff now.

Quick Reply: Just Bought: 2013 LS 460 SWB