LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Possibly Moving From GS to LS

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 10:36 AM
TRIUMPHT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possibly Moving From GS to LS

I currently have a GS Fsport Crafted Line and am looking to get a LS Fsport Crafted Line. I Initially went for the LS and had a bad experience with the dealer i was dealing with at the time and ended up at another dealer with the GS. I would've waited but i did not think there were that many Crafted Line Models for the LS available and now i am seeing them left and right. So i am going to try and get my hands on one.

I have driven both and know they are two different cars i want to have a vehicle a with NA 8 cylinder with awd that is actually reliable and has space so the LS is currently the only vehicle that i am looking at. To add to those factors the color scheme is even more intriguing.

With that being said i have searched the forum and google to see if there are any major issues to be concerned about with the LS and the main things are Suspension and Mark Levinson amps going at some point. Is there anything else people are experiencing with these vehicles? I do plan to get the extended warranty on the vehicle. I'm sure this vehicle will not leave me stranded as one of my BMW's did in the past.

I have had 1 Ford, 1 Nissan, 1 Hyundai, 1 Mitsubishi, 4 Acura's, 2 BMW's and the LS would be my 3rd Lexus both others were GS's. So this would be night and day from all i am used to. Not to mention as it stands my most expensive car purchase thus far. I like the look of the new LS but am fixed on owning a vehicle with a 8 Cylinder engine. I would consider the GS F if it had AWD but once again space is also a concern.

So with all of that long winded breakdown is there much to worry about long term with these vehicles obviously i know they have only made this specific model starting from 2013. I say this all the time but " I believe i would keep this one" as it has everything and then some of what i have been searching for in every vehicle i have purchased.

Thanks in Advance For Your Comments.
Old 10-24-18, 02:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,703 Likes on 1,937 Posts

The bulk of the issues you read about, control arms, ML amps, etc really apply to older LS460s. The ML Audio was detuned over the years to preserve amp life, my guess is you won't have issues in a 2013+, and control arms were updated in 2011, my mechanic said he has never seen a 2013+ with bad control arms, my service rep at Lexus said the same.

The crafted line was only MY 2015 I believe, the regular F Sport existed 2013-2017...

You'll love the car, I had a 4GS too and the LS is way more car.
Old 10-24-18, 03:08 PM
TRIUMPHT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The bulk of the issues you read about, control arms, ML amps, etc really apply to older LS460s. The ML Audio was detuned over the years to preserve amp life, my guess is you won't have issues in a 2013+, and control arms were updated in 2011, my mechanic said he has never seen a 2013+ with bad control arms, my service rep at Lexus said the same.

The crafted line was only MY 2015 I believe, the regular F Sport existed 2013-2017...

You'll love the car, I had a 4GS too and the LS is way more car.
Thanks.. I have not seen many talk about the control arms but more so some people running into issue with the air suspension that comes with LS 460 Fsport or is that also people speaking about older models?

Yes the crafted line was only MY 15 but the F Sports in general started in 2013 even though its the crafted line people/dealers mainly still look at it as F sport which it is with unique color scheme.

As i said i do plan to purchase the full extended warranty and i doubt it will have any real issues.

I am looking forward to it.

Last edited by TRIUMPHT; 10-24-18 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-24-18, 04:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Air suspension is an issue that any vehicle so equipped might have, with the warranty I wouldn’t worry about it.
Old 10-24-18, 07:13 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

I have a Crafted and I love it. Good mix of options were included in the package. Blind spot and cross traffic, but not radar cruise, for example. The AWD models come with nice cold weather options--heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, faster cabin warm-up, etc.

When I bought mine this past Spring there were a ton of them out there for sale. Not sure about now.
Old 10-25-18, 06:51 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Not much to add, but I think you'll be extremely pleased with the look, size, ride and equipment. To this very day I have people (who don't know Lexus) ask me if my 08 is new. That says a lot. Yes, I have the sticky interior and a ripped armrest, but it's still the best car I've owned and I look forward to my future in a 13-15ish.
Old 10-29-18, 11:19 AM
TRIUMPHT
Driver School Candidate

So i picked up the LS 460 F-Sport Crafted Line over the weekend. The seats are a little more worn than i wanted but overall a better choice from the other two i viewed over my search. The first one was the dealer that it didn't work out with at the time. Their car was pristine inside and out but the miles were already at 44k back in Feb they wanted 48k it was CPO .When i went in and asked them to drop the price they wouldn't then as the car sat they dropped it tremendously after i had already purchased the GS.

The one i looked at last week had less wear on the interior but had a dent on the passenger door and a scratch going from the front fender all the way to the back passenger door. That one had 25k miles as was being sold as is at 43,500.

This one was CPO 38k miles exterior has one nick on the bumper and the seats have a little more wear than i expected but i will have a detailer look at that soon to see what can be done. It should be a cheaper remedy than having to have the whole side of the other one painted.

So when i looked at the car fax online there was some stuff that wasn't there that i noticed after on the one they gave that i didn't check as i viewed it online. There are a couple times the Battery charging system was checked. I have never seen that on any of the reports i've looked at on the other vehicles. Not only that but it was towed twice to two different dealers for a dead battery 1 year apart. I reached out to both dealers to ask if there was an electrical issue with the car.

Both said no one said it was a dead cell in the battery and they replaced it that was the second time. The other dealer said the battery was dead when it came in but it wasn't replaced that was the first time. So now i'm worried about electrical issues with this vehicle. But i did get the extended warranty so i have a total of 7 years and 8 months. That includes current factory warranty,CPO warranty when that kicks in 2 years then the extended 5 year that kicks in after that with unlimited miles.

i read through some threads and it seems that there is an update that might need to be done for that idk why that wouldn't have been done by now so i will see and if it's not i will bring it up with my first service.

Other than that i am happy and looking forward to some minor mods i want to find a spoiler and in the future maybe BIG MAYBE change the wheel color.

Last edited by TRIUMPHT; 10-29-18 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-29-18, 01:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats!

An upholstery shop can re-dye the leather and fix any wear for very little money.
Old 10-29-18, 01:41 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Nice. Any pictures to share?
Old 10-29-18, 01:48 PM
TRIUMPHT
Driver School Candidate

Congrats!

An upholstery shop can re-dye the leather and fix any wear for very little money.
Yes i figured that much just by searching youtube it looks pretty easy but i would still have a professional do it..

Originally Posted by DerrickM
Not yet Saturday it rained all day in New York so as soon as we have some clear weather and i get it washed i will post some pics..
Old 10-29-18, 02:52 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Congrats to you. Enjoy!!
Old 10-29-18, 05:45 PM
TRIUMPHT
Driver School Candidate

Congrats!

Originally Posted by R Z
Congrats to you. Enjoy!!

Thanks I’m looking forward to many years with the LS
Old 10-30-18, 05:39 PM
TRIUMPHT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DerrickM

Some pics from the day of Pick Up

Old 10-30-18, 05:45 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice! Congrats!
Old 10-30-18, 05:52 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 199 Posts

Those pictures made me super jittery and warm inside.

Love it, gorgeous ride and welcome!

Quick Reply: Possibly Moving From GS to LS