LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS CAN buses and messages

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-23, 07:36 AM
Openpilot
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I stand corrected - autopark on R, not P I haven't see autopark myself.
Old 02-10-23, 05:26 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

You can use IPAS (Intelligent Parking Assist System) on ID 266 to steer the car as long as you spoof the reverse gear on ID 120 (value is 0000009011753E) but you also need to defeat the 4mph limiter as IPAS will deactivate over 4mph. If I recall correctly there is no problem spoofing reverse gear when you are in drive going forward, only downside is your cluster will show reverse which look silly. IPAS is great as it have no torque limit unlike LKA but also much more dangerous as you cannot piggyback on Toyota LKA hardcoded safety feature which limit the speed the wheel can turn. This method would work on car without APCS as long as they have IPAS and Radar Cruise (unless comma ai switched to vision only like Tesla, been a while I kept tab on what they are doing right now).
Old 12-18-23, 05:55 PM
sgaba
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Is there a thread on a public forum regarding research on this vehicle ? Back in 2014 I retrofitted my 2008 ls600hl with LKA and defeated the "hand on steering wheel check" enabling a rudimentary autopilot, but since Hotz openpilot release I always wanted to try porting it to this car. Actually have an instrument cluster on a testbench where I can control pretty much any gauge or light. Also managed to sniff out a lot of diagnostic packet allowing to lock/unlock the car, start wiper, climate control etc. Method is similar to the work published by Charlie Miller & Chris Valasek on a 2010 prius with autopark/lka. Did a few test trying to send packet to turn the steering wheel and control speed while driving but it was getting a bit dangerous. Wanted to purchase more parts for my testbench like steering wheel unit but god forbid parts are expensive for this car. Are you researching on a Prius or on a LS directly ? Both system should be similar and once one is functional porting to the other should be a breeze. I suppose the way to calculate the checksum for some packet would be the same as the prius (IDH + IDL + Len + Sum(Data[0] – Data[Len-2])) & 0xFF ? Took a break from this a while ago but I didn't knew someone else was looking to port those car. Looking forward to the advancement of this project.
Any instructions on how you disabled the "hand on steering wheel check"? I'm retrofitting my 2007 LS600hL tomorrow with LKA and would love to disable that check. Thanks!
Old 12-18-23, 06:00 PM
sgaba
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Openpilot
Hello.

We are developing a real autopilot for LS based on OpenPilot by comma.ai.

We have pretty much everything - we know how to steer and accelerate and brake the car via can messages, but ONE message is elusive af: Cruise Control Set Speed. If anybody have info, on what bus and what can id we should chase, please let us know. Openpilot is open source, so once it's done, you can get yourself a dev kit and have your LS driving around with as good autopilot as Tesla AP2 is.
And we digged in and the CAN ID is 689 where all cruise info lies. If you follow comma.ai then pretty soon (tm) there will be a support for LS

​​​​​​​Got any update on this? Would love to purchase a comma.ai system for my 2007 LS600hL.
Old 12-19-23, 05:37 AM
Openpilot
9th Gear

Hello and happy end of the year!

We haven't done anything, too busy on other projects. Still have the car, though.
Little bit progress was done on looking for similar solution on Mazdas - not even faking ipas and other but directly the torsion sensors, so car things driver is turning the wheels. Of course this is riskier, but with guardrails on place, it's not riskier than faking reverse gear and speed. Have had openpilot on my kids car now for over 5 years (version 0.7 on oneplus 3t) and have not seen any erratic behaviour yet.
Retrofitting with LKA seems like a ton of work? Cameras, modules, wiring?
The following users liked this post:
sgaba (12-19-23)
Old 12-19-23, 10:56 AM
sgaba
6th Gear

Nope it's pretty easy. I have a 2007 LS600hL from Japan and it came stock with all of the necessary parts installed. Just didn't have the button, so I ordered the part online and it should work. Unfortunately there's no display once you've engaged/disengaged it, just an audio tone.

If you need any help with the work on the LS, I could assist. Not sure where to start but I've got a solid programming background.
Old 12-19-23, 11:06 AM
Openpilot
9th Gear

oh yeah, that version is easy to do. I have one that doesn't have the hardware installed to start with
Old 12-19-23, 11:09 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 418 Posts

Read my posts then...
Old 12-19-23, 01:29 PM
Openpilot
9th Gear

Thanks! I think I'll give it a go

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-retrofit.html
Old 12-19-23, 04:05 PM
sgaba
6th Gear

Hello.

We are developing a real autopilot for LS based on OpenPilot by comma.ai.

We have pretty much everything - we know how to steer and accelerate and brake the car via can messages, but ONE message is elusive af: Cruise Control Set Speed. If anybody have info, on what bus and what can id we should chase, please let us know. Openpilot is open source, so once it's done, you can get yourself a dev kit and have your LS driving around with as good autopilot as Tesla AP2 is.
I'll have LKA installed tomorrow. Was planning on grabbing an openpilot system. Let me know what I need to help out with what you've got so far.
Old 12-22-23, 04:34 AM
Openpilot
9th Gear

These are how far we got. Programming by Wocsor, in discord there is a retropilot server: https://discord.gg/4CF6KXY9

on hardware, if you go the same way as we did, you need two pandas, but I really hope there is a simpler way, just wocsor and me didn't find it. compared to other toyotas/lexuses, LS is a smorgasboard of can buses, hacked together by recreational spaghetti artist. DSU module needs some pins removed and panda inserted to filter out messages, etc.
That's why I think the end of the day, hacking steering torque sensor is so much easier, safer and cleaner

https://github.com/wocsor/openpilot/tree/lexus_ls_600h

https://github.com/wocsor/openpilot/...s_ls_600h_tune

https://github.com/wocsor/openpilot/tree/lexus_gs