LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS CAN buses and messages

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-18, 08:23 AM
Openpilot
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question LS CAN buses and messages

Hello.

We are developing a real autopilot for LS based on OpenPilot by comma.ai.

We have pretty much everything - we know how to steer and accelerate and brake the car via can messages, but ONE message is elusive af: Cruise Control Set Speed. If anybody have info, on what bus and what can id we should chase, please let us know. Openpilot is open source, so once it's done, you can get yourself a dev kit and have your LS driving around with as good autopilot as Tesla AP2 is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Openpilot:
Boykie (01-27-23), Eitupois (01-27-23)
Old 10-28-18, 04:53 PM
Openpilot
9th Gear

For future travellers: MS BUS is medium speed, i.e. 2500 (instead of standard 5000 for high-speed) and it's on DSU pins 18,19 (CANN, CANP or CANL,CANH in regular CAN lingo). And we just got the dump from testdrive and will dig in.
Old 10-28-18, 06:52 PM
Openpilot
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Openpilot
For future travellers: MS BUS is medium speed, i.e. 2500 (instead of standard 5000 for high-speed) and it's on DSU pins 18,19 (CANN, CANP or CANL,CANH in regular CAN lingo). And we just got the dump from testdrive and will dig in.
And we digged in and the CAN ID is 689 where all cruise info lies. If you follow comma.ai then pretty soon (tm) there will be a support for LS
The following users liked this post:
sgaba (12-18-23)
Old 10-30-18, 10:21 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Hello.

We are developing a real autopilot for LS based on OpenPilot by comma.ai.

We have pretty much everything - we know how to steer and accelerate and brake the car via can messages, but ONE message is elusive af: Cruise Control Set Speed. If anybody have info, on what bus and what can id we should chase, please let us know. Openpilot is open source, so once it's done, you can get yourself a dev kit and have your LS driving around with as good autopilot as Tesla AP2 is.
Is there a thread on a public forum regarding research on this vehicle ? Back in 2014 I retrofitted my 2008 ls600hl with LKA and defeated the "hand on steering wheel check" enabling a rudimentary autopilot, but since Hotz openpilot release I always wanted to try porting it to this car. Actually have an instrument cluster on a testbench where I can control pretty much any gauge or light. Also managed to sniff out a lot of diagnostic packet allowing to lock/unlock the car, start wiper, climate control etc. Method is similar to the work published by Charlie Miller & Chris Valasek on a 2010 prius with autopark/lka. Did a few test trying to send packet to turn the steering wheel and control speed while driving but it was getting a bit dangerous. Wanted to purchase more parts for my testbench like steering wheel unit but god forbid parts are expensive for this car. Are you researching on a Prius or on a LS directly ? Both system should be similar and once one is functional porting to the other should be a breeze. I suppose the way to calculate the checksum for some packet would be the same as the prius (IDH + IDL + Len + Sum(Data[0] – Data[Len-2])) & 0xFF ? Took a break from this a while ago but I didn't knew someone else was looking to port those car. Looking forward to the advancement of this project.

Last edited by Vansibel; 10-31-18 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 03:17 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

@Openpilot I know that HS250h was short lived car in US - 2010-2012 but it was an excellent car at that time with electric steering. Has anyone tried that car...yet?
Old 03-26-19, 06:25 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

Interesting, never heard of this before today. But it says on website this only works with LS that have LKA? For my year that’s almost non existent. Sigh....
Old 03-27-19, 04:14 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rajeev6
@Openpilot I know that HS250h was short lived car in US - 2010-2012 but it was an excellent car at that time with electric steering. Has anyone tried that car...yet?
Like the 3rd gen prius its based on It also featured lka so it's a proper candidate. My guess is that if 3rd gen prius come to be supported hs250h would be a breeze to port but neither of them to my knowledge have peoples working on them so far.

Originally Posted by jdanielca
Interesting, never heard of this before today. But it says on website this only works with LS that have LKA? For my year that’s almost non existent. Sigh....
It remain to be tested if the car steering ecu would still accept command to steer the car even if lka is not present. To my knowledge all LS have electronic steering wheel and it's possible that the steering ecus are the same parts regardless if the car feature lka or not. The raw can bus data can be injected into the steering assist ecu which are then processed and sent to the power steering ecu to actually turn the wheel. Usually we start sending signal from the DSU but with car without LKA I suspect it's likely a different part number, not sure how far you could start away from the power steering ecu as a starting point so the injected packets would reach their final destination on lka-less car. You could also use the ipas (intelligent park assist) feature if equipped by spoofing the reverse gear and use id 266 to steer the car but it's kinda dangerous as ipas steering angle is not limited to small increment like lka.
Old 03-27-19, 10:48 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
Like the 3rd gen prius its based on It also featured lka so it's a proper candidate. My guess is that if 3rd gen prius come to be supported hs250h would be a breeze to port but neither of them to my knowledge have peoples working on them so far.

It remain to be tested if the car steering ecu would still accept command to steer the car even if lka is not present. To my knowledge all LS have electronic steering wheel and it's possible that the steering ecus are the same parts regardless if the car feature lka or not. The raw can bus data can be injected into the steering assist ecu which are then processed and sent to the power steering ecu to actually turn the wheel. Usually we start sending signal from the DSU but with car without LKA I suspect it's likely a different part number, not sure how far you could start away from the power steering ecu as a starting point so the injected packets would reach their final destination on lka-less car. You could also use the ipas (intelligent park assist) feature if equipped by spoofing the reverse gear and use id 266 to steer the car but it's kinda dangerous as ipas steering angle is not limited to small increment like lka.
interesting, but I am not a tech guy, I can follow instructions just fine but as to what to do etc coding wise... would be too aggravating to attempt. So let’s see what other more tech inclined people come up with.

I assume people will come up with ready to use plug and play solutions?

I do have self park and as you say that doesn’t sound like a great idea..

lets see if these guys respond back with what’s possible. I’ll also see if there’s a LS thread on their forums

thanks for taking the time to explain!
Old 12-07-19, 01:03 PM
atempenco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks. I am interested to purchase a Lexus with Comma.ai / Open Pilot in mind and am curious if anyone on here has set it up since this thread earlier this year? I've searched the forum and there are not many mentions of it.
Old 12-07-19, 05:20 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by atempenco
Hi folks. I am interested to purchase a Lexus with Comma.ai / Open Pilot in mind and am curious if anyone on here has set it up since this thread earlier this year? I've searched the forum and there are not many mentions of it.
Currently only the following Lexus models are fully supported:
2017-2018 CT Hybrid
2019 Lexus ES / Hybrid
2017-2019 Lexus IS
2016-2019 Lexus RX Hybrid

Early 2007 to 2009 Lexus LS460 with LKA and 2008-2009 ls600hl with APCS (even without LKA) and 2010-2017 ls460/600h with LKA all have all the necessary hardware to be supported (I suspect that any MY with radar cruise control can be supported but that remain to be confirmed) but since the way the car control the lateral and longitudinal motion is so much different than the recent model you kinda have to start from scratch. So porting a new model similar to its already ported outgoing model is much more easier. I've worked with the thread starter and we managed to get the car to steer but there was a pretty significant chunk of code that needed to be adjusted to the comma ai source code to make it work smoothly compared to other Toyota and Lexus model. On more recent model you can hook the hardware directly beside the camera but on the LS you need to dig the DSU out from the driver footwell and work from there. On more current models you need to hack 2 can lines but on the LS it use at least 4 lines for the system so it's more complicated and there is much more ecu involved in the whole process. But we noticed that the 2008 model work the same way as a 2015 (and probably a 2017) so by making a 2008 MY compatible the code would probably also work on a 2017 MY. In the end lack of time, manpower and cars (and winter here, cause it suck to test the system in winter) pretty much put this project on hold. Which is a shame because it can definitely be done.
Old 11-29-20, 07:38 PM
dresden196
Driver School Candidate

Can you PM me on Discord Vansibel, Wanting.RA1N#5762, I have some questions to ask about the port for openpilot. Me and a group of people are developing a port for a 2010 Prius, and it is very similar to your Lexus
Old 01-27-23, 12:35 PM
Eitupois
1st Gear

Back in the day I tried to retrofit openpilot 0.7 to 2015 LS600h but got nowhere. How you guys are doing, can I help in any way?

Our solution was to totally intercept ECU and filter out and modify on the fly two CAN buses. That's why we needed 2 Pandas. The best we got was 10 seconds of drunken wheel before it erred out.

The final phase where we got.
Old 02-08-23, 07:54 PM
napamikey
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

So now I got to thinking, ls460's with self parking can be interesting to port to openpilot and can maybe hack to self drive at full stop. Anyone try that?
Old 02-08-23, 10:37 PM
Openpilot
9th Gear

Somebody tried it on some other Lexus model, if I remember correctly. Using autoparking mode means faking to DSU that car is in park, or something similar complicated. But autopark shows for sure, that there is no torque limit to steering wheel
We are going to fake messages to steering torque and see how far we get with this. If there is a doable solution, we will share it
Old 02-08-23, 11:11 PM
napamikey
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Somebody tried it on some other Lexus model, if I remember correctly. Using autoparking mode means faking to DSU that car is in park, or something similar complicated. But autopark shows for sure, that there is no torque limit to steering wheel
We are going to fake messages to steering torque and see how far we get with this. If there is a doable solution, we will share it
That is interesting as self park works in both R and D so could be fun. I'm a bit of a geek, have the car and would be glad to help to project Let me know.

Quick Reply: LS CAN buses and messages