LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

it's always something

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-18, 08:25 AM
keltonks
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it's always something

So today, after receiving your help, I changed the driver's low beam headlight on my 2008 LS 460. Didn't take too long.

But it's always something else. Now the "piziomed/ cut glass" lower inside corner light of the headlight on the passenger's side isn't working. I don't even know what this light is called.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? You came through with the headlight, let's do it again.

Thanks

Keltonks
Old 10-27-18, 08:45 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

You mean the corner Nike light?? Was that the same headlight side you changed? That bulb is reached from the top a very tight space. Doubt you pulled that wire from the bottom.
Old 10-27-18, 10:15 AM
keltonks
Rookie

I suppose it is the corner Nike light. At least now I know what it is called. But it is on the other side from the headlight I replaced so I don't think that i had anything to do with it going out. Just my streak of luck = it's always something. So you tell me I can reach it from the top, the same space as I would use to change the high beam bulb? Just lower down? Any place where I can get instructions? I was able to change the headlight by following you guys' directions. I ought to be able to replace another light bulb.

I am listening.

Keltonks
Old 10-27-18, 12:01 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

You have to take the grill off to gain access. I was able to change them and I have pretty big hands. There is a bracket you have to bend out of the way. Get some bright LED bulbs so it stand out over the hids. Do a search, many have done this mod

Oh and stop whining about the car. A bulb out is MINOR and not even an issue
Old 10-27-18, 12:57 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Scroll down to #16 for help;

​​​​​​https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...lb-swap-2.html
Old 10-27-18, 01:48 PM
keltonks
Rookie

Got grille removed, and wiring harnesses bent out of the way, but couldn't get any further. Don't have long enough fingers or needle nose pliers to reach the socket and turn it. Then, when I turned on the lights I noticed the other "nike" light wasn't lit either. It had definitely been lit earlier in the day. I know that one was working and one was not. I have no ideas and have given up for the day and put the grille back on. At least I got my one headlight replaced and it works.

Any ideas that can help me out would be appreciated. I don't know how things can go from one bad to another.

Keltonks
Old 10-27-18, 05:30 PM
keltonks
Rookie

Just so you know I am not a quitter, once I went to Harbor Freight and bought the long needle nose plier set, and before I replaced all of the plastic, I took a shot at the nike lights again. Success with the long needle nose! Both of the nike lights work now. Replaced them with bright white sylvania bulbs. I cannot for the life of me though, figure out how they both failed within a few days of each other. And then when I am checking the lights, I see that my fog lights are not lighting up. The nike lights light up, as do the front side marker lights, But the two fogs lights on the bottom of the front bumper do not. That will be tomorrow. Today I replaced one headlight and two nike lights. I think that is sufficient accomplishment for one day.

Keltonks
Old 10-27-18, 08:08 PM
keltonks
Rookie

I was wrong. I went and purchased two bulbs, and tackled the fog lights. New bulb in passenger's did not light when fog lights were turned on. Only Nike swoosh lights and side marker lights. Pulled #24 fuse out of fuse box B and it looked OK. did not replace it. still no fog lights.

Any help?

Keltonks
Old 10-27-18, 08:30 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by keltonks
I was wrong. I went and purchased two bulbs, and tackled the fog lights. New bulb in passenger's did not light when fog lights were turned on. Only Nike swoosh lights and side marker lights. Pulled #24 fuse out of fuse box B and it looked OK. did not replace it. still no fog lights.

Any help?

Keltonks
Is the fog light switch turned on? They have a separate switch, they don't automatically come on with headlights unless the fog light switch is on.
Old 10-28-18, 04:53 AM
keltonks
Rookie

Yeah, there is a position on the turn signal stalk for the fog lights. Unfortunately, when the stalk switch is put in the fog light position the fog lights do not come on. Heck, the fog light indicator on the dash panel doesn't even light up. I am not aware of any other fog light switch.

I have my suspicions about the wiring. A headlight and both Nike swoosh light bulbs were out. That seems strange when I know the swoosh lights were working the other day.

The Nike swoosh light bulbs were a PITA to change, but I think removing the wheel and wheel well liner was worse.

I am still open to your thoughts. Would rather not go to stealer.

Keltonsk
Old 11-04-18, 04:41 AM
keltonks
Rookie

I am writing back in hopes that someone may profit from my misunderstanding. When you get something in your head, and think it's right, even though it is wrong, it leads to problems. That's what happened to me with the fog lights. Fortunately I figured out the human error before I spent any money.

Like I said above, the fog light switch is on the turn signal stalk. But like mnewxcv said, there is a separate switch for the fog lights. When I was working on my lights last weekend, I somehow got it in my head that the positions on the main light switch were, from top to bottom: Auto; low beam; fog lights; off. On Monday, when I sat behind the wheel, I realized that there was a second switch lower on the stalk that was dedicated to the fog lights. When it was activated low and behold the fog lights came on and the indicator light on the dash did too. My fog light problem was solved, which problem was totally due to human error.

From looking at the manual, the positions on the main light switch are, from top to bottom: Auto; low beam; SIDE MARKER, PARKING, TAIL, LICENSE PLATE & INSTRUMENT PANEL; off. Nonetheless, I had it in my head that fog lights were on the main switch.

Hope that my misunderstanding prevents others from having a similar misunderstanding.

I had an appointment at the local automotive electric shop, but cancelled it when I realized my error. Bought two fog light bulbs but will just keep them for future reference.

Keltonks