LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Learned something today from two dealers

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 05:18 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
A CLer, Scrutator, drives often to ski resorts in CA in his 460 F-sport. I am sure he has some opinions on snow tires for such drives.
My ears were burning. Yes, I bought the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 for winter tires. I can go nearly anywhere with these in the snow. I have air suspension so I raise it to High in the snow.
Old 10-31-18, 08:31 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

early intervals for me, this way i can catch a leak or malfunction on the undercarriage much earlier.
Old 11-01-18, 09:54 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Whats $26 every 5 or 10k miles for a great quality filter?
It is just when you compare it to a $5 filter that is every bit as good and probably better.
Not like amsoil as puts as much into research as say Lexus. Or they have better engineers.
Old 11-01-18, 10:27 AM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

Look at the reviews of oil filters and decide accordingly. If you are changing synthetic oil every 5k, it probably doesn't make any difference whatsoever which filter you use. At 10k, maybe a bit more. The Denso filter is highly rated and for around $5 a pop, it's more than enough IMO.
Old 11-01-18, 11:28 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

Received 253 Likes on 180 Posts

a upgraded oil filter is not necessary.

the toyota / lexus filters are great

with the synthetic oil change between 7500-8500 miles and dont think that you have to do 5k oil changes on a non-turbo lexus v8, its not neccessary

Bmw and Mercedes makes total sense
Old 11-01-18, 12:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by RR601
It is just when you compare it to a $5 filter that is every bit as good and probably better.
Not like amsoil as puts as much into research as say Lexus. Or they have better engineers.
Would you be interested to know that Lexus actually sells the Amsoil Ea filter under their own label as a Toyota TRD High Performance filter? They do, you can buy the Amsoil filter at a Lexus or Toyota dealer.

The Amsoil filter is MUCH more robust than the OEM Toyota filter. The Amsoil filter is a fully synthetic media with metal construction at the top, bottom and the center core. The OEM Toyota filter is just a paper filter, on an entirely different level.

Amsoil does nothing but design oil and filters. Toyota doesn't design oil or filters, their filters are manufactured for them by companies that design filters, for example Amsoil makes their TRD High Performance filter, not sure who makes the base filter but its provably Wix or somebody. Toyota branded motor oil is made by Mobil.

Is it overkill? Sure. Changing your oil more often than the factory recommends is overkill too, I enjoy maintaining my car well though.

So when it comes to designing filters I trust Amsoil, as Toyota clearly does also since they sell their filter as their own.

All you have to do is look at the filters to see the clear difference in quality:

Base Toyota filter:

Amsoil Ea Filter:

Toyota TRD Filter (clearly the same filter):

Old 11-01-18, 01:43 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got the oil change and filter change done today at Sewell a large local dealer. Their prices was $150 with synthetic and the Lexus filter Toyota provides, no choices offered me. Took an hour and a half as advertised. This change was at 6 months since last change and after just over 5k miles. I plan to keep this interval at 6 months and let the mileage fall where it may as with my pattern it will be well under the 10k the dealer and owners manual recommends for a true synthetic.

They inspected a number of other systems and recommended I change air and cabin filters. I do so, added $170 but still done in an hour and a half. They also said my brake fluid should be flushed and replaced. It would have added an hour which I did not have so I have that ahead of me. Their cost to me would be $270. I will get my Independent guy to quote this for me too and get it done when I return from OKC next week. Interested in members advice of how much a rush to put on this and who using my Independent guy, assume he is compete.

I am nearing end of my factory warranty. Honestly this vehicle as been flawless thus far as I expected so I do not plan to get an extended warranty. I look at this like buying insurnace that is paying a profit to the warrant seller. I view my worst case cost as not catastrohic so will self insure and pay any items out of my pocket as I have on my last 12 luxury cars, mostly Infiniti.

I asked the servie writer what filter they used. He did not know anything more than its the standard Lexus LS filter that Toyota makes or has made for them. With my short mileage change interval I am ok with that option. I did not ask if they recommend filter change each oil change as that is my plan regardless of what they recommend. I think this filter is fine for my change strategy
Old 11-01-18, 05:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah if you want to use a specific oil or filter, you have to purchase it separately and bring it with you. When my mechanic changes my oil I bring my own Toyota 0W20 oil and Amsoil filter. Dealers will always use the OEM basic filter, and they will use TGMO 0W20 or an unbranded bulk oil depending on the dealer. I buy 0W20 in 12 quart cases for about $80, so $6.67 a quart. The car takes 9.1 quarts to fill, so thats $60 worth of oil, my mechanic charges me $30 to change it, plus my $26 Amsoil filter comes out to a total oil change cost for me of $116.

Originally Posted by Johnhw2
I did not ask if they recommend filter change each oil change as that is my plan regardless of what they recommend. I think this filter is fine for my change strategy
With that filter for sure change it every time. A really good filter like the ones I use you could only change it every other time, but I change them every time anyways.
Old 11-01-18, 05:41 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I like the better drain plug adaptor on these.

​​​​​​
Old 11-01-18, 05:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Good video find
Old 11-01-18, 06:50 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

the regular oil filter for 7500-8500 and synthetic oil not the synthetic blend

thats all you need

5k on a lexus v8 is throwing your money out with the exception of getting a 1/2 mile to a gallon better mpg with new oil
Old 11-01-18, 07:01 PM
mikesrx350
Instructor

for real validation try sending in your oil to blackstone at 5k get a report
and do it at 7500-8k see if the report varies much

for all those who desire changing at 5k,
if it was a turbo car like bmw and mercedes makes sense,
not in this v8 and the rpm cruising at 2000 rpm's the oil is not being diminished.

if you went the amsoil filter route, looks like a nice filter run the synthetic oil for 12 k intervals the mobil synthetic will hold up and the amsoil filter will as well
The following users liked this post:
DedBirdDog (11-01-18)
Old 11-01-18, 07:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Eh, oil changes are cheap.
Old 11-02-18, 05:40 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am limited by time between changes not miles. I run about 5k miles every six months. I am using a true synthetic not a blend and the Lexus dealer filter at every oil change or every 6 months, My sense is even with the more basic filter I am in an over kill situation overall and that is where I want to be for this vehicle.

My strategy is to keep this car for the long haul meaning 15 years perhaps. I am 11 years into retirement and doing fewer and fewer long road trips every year. So this one has all the bells and whistles safety wise available now and should work for me long term too I hope.

Any thoughts on flushing the break fluid as recommended by my dealer yesterday? Is it a simple job so my independent shop can do it for me at a better cost with their lower labor rate and overhead?

PS just called a local Independent shop who services only Toyota and Lexus. They want $122 for the break fluid flush. A much better deal and I assuming they can do it perfectly too as is their reputation. The dealer indicated to me the failure to flush it can increase the risk of the brakes locking up?

Last edited by Johnhw2; 11-02-18 at 06:36 AM.
Old 11-02-18, 06:37 AM
mikesrx350
Instructor

overkill situation?

2 oil changes a year once every six months is perfect and not overkill

and indy toyota shop perfect for brake fluid flush,

good luck

Quick Reply: Learned something today from two dealers