LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Learned something today from two dealers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-18, 09:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
overkill situation?

2 oil changes a year once every six months is perfect and not overkill

and indy toyota shop perfect for brake fluid flush,

good luck
According to Lexus' maintenance schedule, it is overkill. The schedule calls for oil changes every 10k miles or 12 months. He's doing oil changes twice as frequently as is specified.

Now with that said...I do the same thing, every 5k miles but its likely overkill too.

IMHO, if you're going to keep the car a long time best to change it more frequently. As LS460s get old there are some fairly widespread instances of oil consumption, and many feel thats due to stretched out oil change intervals.
Old 11-02-18, 09:19 AM
mikaelse
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Does anybody have anything to back up the 6 months idea. I normally do 1 year or 7000 miles on high revving 2 liter turbo machines that really wear on oil.
Manufacturer allows even longer. Easily 10k miles.
I do all my own servicing for the last 40 years and normally drive my cars until 20 year old. Dirty oil is not what takes them. Never happened.
rust and generally failing gadgets like central lock that bunch up , AC and the like is what breaks.
I do get a good feeling doing the 1year or 7000 miles also on the LS400 V8 but it does feel like overkill.
Especially the time thing. Probably 1,5 years or 7000 miles would be fine too if you drive with some long trips. I use Synthetic 5W30.

Last edited by mikaelse; 11-02-18 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spell error
Old 11-02-18, 09:20 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
According to Lexus' maintenance schedule, it is overkill. The schedule calls for oil changes every 10k miles or 12 months. He's doing oil changes twice as frequently as is specified.

Now with that said...I do the same thing, every 5k miles but its likely overkill too.
when
IMHO, if you're going to keep the car a long time best to change it more frequently. As LS460s get old there are some fairly widespread instances of oil consumption, and many feel thats due to stretched out oil change intervals.
I missed the oll change interval is 12 not 6 months. What a dealer told me is that there are other things they check every 6 months so like to see the car even when it is not due for an oil change. I sense that the old approach of there is a big expensive service t either 30k or 40k and again at say 60k is to do some of the system changes like the brake flush and cabin filter change as were recommended to me at this oil change service visit. This approach avoids the big ticket major service at these longer intervals and spreads if not accelerates their revenue from services over the interval between these big services as we use to see?

Seems to me also these high tech complex machines need more maintenance these days compared to those days of old.. which makes sense to me. One of my local dealers built a monster new facility and seems highly agitated when I do not have them do my routine service needs. But honestly these huge stores take longer to get things done, even as simple as returning the car to you to depart after all is done and you have paid. I experienced most of my sevice at a much smaller Infiniti dealer in Houston where I worked most of my energy industry career.and I prefer that set up when I knew the owner and his son and all the management team and most of the techs. When I got the party line on things could ask if that is what they would do f they were me, and got a straight forward answer
Old 11-02-18, 10:06 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Hi John,
You can definitely save some money by staying away from the dealer for the routine stuff. Sure, you may want to do the occasional 60K or 90K service at the dealership (like I do), but they charge really steep prices for parts and labor. You can change cabin filters etc (instructions in the owners manual) for a fraction of the cost charged by the dealer. Your indy guy can certainly do the multipoint safety inspections. They may not have the fancy check list that the dealers have, but perhaps, one can find a similar check list online and print off for the indy shop to check off.

I am also planning to keep my 2014 for a long time
Old 11-03-18, 03:34 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Default I swear this car just gets stronger and smoother

I did the OKC up and back trip to the funeral today. I swear this car feels like it accelerates harder easier than it use to. I ended up going up early this morning and coming back after noon and hit a lot of traffic. But this thing just feels stronger and pepier when I push it hard to get around some slow drivers in the left hand lane and blocking traffic with as the right lane was backed up good coming back.

I enjoyed it more today than on any short road trip. Wife did not end up going so I could push things a little harder and loved it.

Very very happy with this LS
Old 11-03-18, 05:11 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhw2
I did the OKC up and back trip to the funeral today. I swear this car feels like it accelerates harder easier than it use to. I ended up going up early this morning and coming back after noon and hit a lot of traffic. But this thing just feels stronger and pepier when I push it hard to get around some slow drivers in the left hand lane and blocking traffic with as the right lane was backed up good coming back.

I enjoyed it more today than on any short road trip. Wife did not end up going so I could push things a little harder and loved it.

Very very happy with this LS
My kind of driver.
Old 11-03-18, 10:01 PM
DriverSS
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhw2
... and getting my guy to do it. This guy has had a local shop here in Plano for almost 50 years between him and his dad. His place is full of trophies for his stable of 1960's muscle cars he keeps looking and running great. Just a great reliable guy and close by. I will check with him on if he carries this filter or if he has one he recommends as well.
That sounds like Adi Glatzs' place. Richardson Import? If so he is a great old gear head from way back. If not, go see them too.

Old 11-03-18, 10:12 PM
DriverSS
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesrx350
overkill situation?

2 oil changes a year once every six months is perfect and not overkill

and indy toyota shop perfect for brake fluid flush,
Several things to consider, every service you have done is a opportunity for someone to mess up your Lexus or for the new part to have a 'issue'. So if doing oil changes at 2 or 3 times more often than required you are increasing your exposure unnecessarily. Also Brake Flushes... unless you are running a silicon based fluid there is ZERO reason to do them any more often than specified in the owners manual. It's a closed system. Once every 4 yrs/100K or so is more than enough. And don't run silicon DOT5 fluid on a street car. EVER.

Yes, I'm a old mechanic, also a Service Advisor at one point. Didn't last as a advisor because I refused to sell people flushes (trans, brake, coolant...) and **** they simply didn't need. If you follow normal services per your manual and still someone starts pulling fluid samples and showing you dirty fluid while still sitting on the service drive run as fast as you can... Its most likely a scam.

Last edited by DriverSS; 11-03-18 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-04-18, 05:27 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by DriverSS
That sounds like Adi Glatzs' place. Richardson Import? If so he is a great old gear head from way back. If not, go see them too.
No, its McConnell on Parker just east of K ave. He is a crusty bear of a guy with a huge dog that barks behind the counter but he is super competent. He is not far from me so sticking with him.

Also interesting post of flushes. I am at 4 years but 42k miles with my recent road trip. Sewell told me it looked like it needed replacing a week ago. Found I can get Davenport do it for less than half of Lexus dealer price and going to check my independent guy this week but this idea of not messing with things that are not broke makes sense to me as the human factor fiddling with things can expose one to errors. If you had my vehicle when would you do the brake flush? 100k miles even if its 8 years or so?

Last edited by Johnhw2; 11-04-18 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-05-18, 10:15 AM
Lead Lap

Received 783 Likes on 532 Posts

Stop changing oil every 5k or 6 months. You’re not doing your car or the environment any good.

Old 11-05-18, 11:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Stop changing oil every 5k or 6 months. You’re not doing your car or the environment any good.
I don't care about the environment, but thanks.
Old 11-06-18, 05:28 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Not thread related, a lot of good info in the thread. I just have to mention that every time I scan by the topics and read "Learned something today from two dealers" my mind IMMEDIATELY thinks, "...impossible."
Old 11-06-18, 07:20 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Not thread related, a lot of good info in the thread. I just have to mention that every time I scan by the topics and read "Learned something today from two dealers" my mind IMMEDIATELY thinks, "...impossible."
I was surprised as OP to learn from them too. The one nearest me built a huge new facility and then beats me up for buying a car there and not having them do all the service there. The last treatment insures I will drive 15 miles to Sewell rather than go just four miles to these guys. They are acting a little paniced by my decision to use an Independent shop..

I am not a fan of the big dealer facilities they are too slow to do anything and of course have to get paid a lot fo pay for those huge facilities and staff. One has to wait for the car to show up once they tell you it is ready, then they may hvae it parked bocked behind other cars ready to do. Slow process for sure.

Back to topic maybe I can get away with this off topic post too as the OP lol,.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 11-06-18 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-06-18, 09:12 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

The main reason why I change the oil every 5k is to avoid something that is very difficult to fix once it starts: sludge and deposit formation. I buy 5qt jugs of 0W20 M1 at Walmart or Meijer for $24, and a 10-pack of Toyota filters that are $4.50 each, so each oil change costs less than $55.

Filter link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/04152-YZZA5...72.m2749.l2649
Old 11-06-18, 10:57 AM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
The main reason why I change the oil every 5k is to avoid something that is very difficult to fix once it starts: sludge and deposit formation. I buy 5qt jugs of 0W20 M1 at Walmart or Meijer for $24, and a 10-pack of Toyota filters that are $4.50 each, so each oil change costs less than $55.

Filter link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/04152-YZZA5...72.m2749.l2649
I'm not as concerned about sludge or deposits as I am about the seals and other wear and tear items with older and higher millage cars. Previous owners did regular full syn TGMO every 5k miles but at 120k, leaky spark plug tube seals and valve cover gasket. If I paid 100+ per oil change, I might extend mine from the normal 5k interval but Full Syn oil change can be had for as little as $35 and change if you use Walmart Supertech HM and a OEM filter. An even easier decision.