LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Learned something today from two dealers

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 03:29 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Learned something today from two dealers

I own a 2014 LS460L AWD bought new almost four years ago. I have been changing oil and filter every 5k miles or 6 months which ever comes first. I worked in Refiners as Chem Engr and have bought the added benefits of a synthetic oil and use that on all oil changes for this vehicle. Two dealers here in DFW area, Sewell and Park Place informed me the manufacture's recommended interval is now 10k miles, I was getting quotes on it from both dealers and Sewell told me off top of head they thought it was 5k miles or 6 mos as I cited but wanted to look it up and found it shows 10k now. I looked at an oil line owners manual and it still shows the interval I thought was official.'

Have not read of any change in interval from reading posts here or another site I read. Is this a change that Toyota made after they published the owners manual?.

Im still going to change on time as that is the I hit 6 months before I hit 5k. I prefer to better than manufacturers recommendation on oil and filter as I have viewed it as a low cost step to benefit my long term driving pleasure.

But what gives with this change or am I the only me that is confused?

Old 10-30-18, 03:51 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Hi John,

Depending upon the type of driving you do, a 10K interval may be fine. Modern engines and synthetic oils will do just fine with 10K intervals. The old advice of 5K oil changes is outdated, and you don't have to change at this mileage unless you have gone much longer than 6 months. I personally choose to do changes at ~7500 miles or ~6 months.

I am very interested to see inside and outside pics of your car. We both have 2014 AWD 460Ls, but I bought mine used.
Old 10-30-18, 03:52 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

When I started looking at service records for these cars I was really struck by how so many cars were getting synthetic oil changes at the 5K interval. Modern syn oil is so good now that I would think 10K is the right number unless in a severe duty cycle. Many manufacturers are even going 15K on changes now. There's no doubt in my mind that the entire 5K interval from Lexus is nothing but shameless profiteering. The V6 in my 2007 Camry XLE is sitting at 230K miles and that's at 7000 mile changes on DINO oil. Go figure. I'll do syn at 10.
Old 10-30-18, 04:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The interval from Lexus is in fact now 10k miles. I believe 2014 was the year they changed it for the LS, but the car itself didn't change.

I change mine at 5k, direct injection/timing chain etc my mechanic suggested I stick to 5k, but I'm sure the 10k intervals is fine.

Personally? I would run a much better filter than the OEM filter. I run Amsoil Ea filters even at 5k which is totally overkill, but for 10k I would run a filter like that for sure,
Old 10-30-18, 05:55 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

The filter is FAR too often overlooked. If you are going to extend the interval, choosing quality filters is even more important. Do some reading over at Bob is the Oil Guy. All kinds of good stuff there.
Old 10-30-18, 06:54 PM
Biggotis06
Rookie

SW17LS you are correct. I still prefer to change mine every 5-6 just cause I can, and I use amsoil products as well. I know I could go 10-15 thousand miles easy. But I got enough of my father in me to change it at 5. I sleep better
Old 10-30-18, 07:43 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Amsoil Ea filters .

Yikes !!! $26 per filter.
Old 10-30-18, 11:01 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Change based on dirty the oil is and how much oil you’re consuming. You can usually tell the difference between a 3k vs 10k interval. The oil looks much more cooked in when going that long. I would def not do the 6months change if I’m below my interval.

Stick with OEM Denso filters. They’re much cheaper than aftermarket filters with better filtration.
Old 10-30-18, 11:42 PM
DedBirdDog
Intermediate

Those Denso (Toyota) filters are actaully very highly rated and if you buy in bulk, can be had for less than $5 per filter.

I'd be curious to look at UOA with a good syn oil at 3k versus 10k in these cars. As they are typically not high rpm engines, I'd be interested to see what kind of difference there actually is.
Old 10-31-18, 07:07 AM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Thanks all. Im retired so my daily driving is low. We go to NM mountains from DFW a few times a year which is 600 miles each way, The route I use saves 30 miles but involves 9 miles of dirty and gravel road.

I run into the 6 month since last oil and filter change every 5k miles or so on average. I always change the filter with the oil just out of habit and caution. I always use a true synthitic when I change the oil too. I have not specified a filter type but wil do so going foward. Makes sense it is a weak link if over looked,

.Wife is out and about in my LS now so I will take pictures later after I clean it up some too lol. Mine is black/black AWD 2014LS460L It has the ML sound system but not air suspension.It has the same wood yours does as well as the advanced collision system but not ultra luxury package. One of my favorite features is the rear collision warning system.

I like the long wheel base and am a fan of AWD for ice or snow in mountains or even slick black top highways after a rain so AWD is for peace of mind. Mine was bought in Park Place in Nov 2014. I was looking for a low mileage used one just like this and by luck hit the dealer just to see and drive the L version and caught them ready to make a deal at model year end. I got a decent deal but not as good as I am hearing on the new model.

I am loving this car, it is a nice drive. Heading to OKC for a funeral Saturday, up and back in same day or about 400 miles. NM mountains for Thanksgiving. Cant wait for these road trips but need to get the oil and filter change done betfore the NM trip. I use either dealers (I use both Sewell and Park Place) as well as a great Independent guy near me here in Plano and a Firestone store on occasion. I doubt they all have the filter mentioned are there any other filters that would be acceptable assuming a 6 month 5k mile interval with Syntehtic?

Last edited by Johnhw2; 10-31-18 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-31-18, 08:21 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhw2
.Wife is out and about in my LS now so I will take pictures later after I clean it up some too lol. Mine is black/black AWD 2014LS460L It has the ML sound system but not air suspension.It has the same wood yours does as well as the advanced collision system but not ultra luxury package. One of my favorite features is the rear collision warning system.

I like the long wheel base and am a fan of AWD for ice or snow in mountains or even slick black top highways after a rain so AWD is for peace of mind. Mine was bought in Park Place in Nov 2014. I was looking for a low mileage used one just like this and by luck hit the dealer just to see and drive the L version and caught them ready to make a deal at model year end. I got a decent deal but not as good as I am hearing on the new model.

I am loving this car, it is a nice drive. Heading to OKC for a funeral Saturday, up and back in same day or about 400 miles. NM mountains for Thanksgiving. Cant wait for these road trips but need to get the oil and filter change done betfore the NM trip. I use either dealers (I use both Sewell and Park Place) as well as a great Independent guy near me here in Plano and a Firestone store on occasion. I doubt they all have the filter mentioned are there any other filters that would be acceptable assuming a 6 month 5k mile interval with Syntehtic?
Great to hear about your car. How many miles on it? My car was a Nov 2013 build, so your car may have some additional improvements compared to mine. I can never get tired of looking at the interiors, even one nearly identical to mine I have posted inside and out pics of my car in various threads since I joined CL in 2016.

Since you are doing oil and filter changes regularly, I suggest you buy full synthetic oil and oil filters yourself, and ask the dealer or your independent mechanic to use them. The dealers charge a whole lot more to buy all the stuff through them, and your indy guy should be very capable of this job. For oil changes, I used to go to the nearest dealer 2 hours away in St. Louis, then switched to a Toyota dealer 5 min from my house, but will soon switch to an indy shop even closer.

Have a fun and safe drive to OKC even though it's for a solemn occasion.
Old 10-31-18, 10:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Amsoil Ea filters .

Yikes !!! $26 per filter.
Whats $26 every 5 or 10k miles for a great quality filter?
Old 10-31-18, 12:41 PM
Johnhw2
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by comotiger
Great to hear about your car. How many miles on it? My car was a Nov 2013 build, so your car may have some additional improvements compared to mine. I can never get tired of looking at the interiors, even one nearly identical to mine I have posted inside and out pics of my car in various threads since I joined CL in 2016.

Since you are doing oil and filter changes regularly, I suggest you buy full synthetic oil and oil filters yourself, and ask the dealer or your independent mechanic to use them. The dealers charge a whole lot more to buy all the stuff through them, and your indy guy should be very capable of this job. For oil changes, I used to go to the nearest dealer 2 hours away in St. Louis, then switched to a Toyota dealer 5 min from my house, but will soon switch to an indy shop even closer.

Have a fun and safe drive to OKC even though it's for a solemn occasion.
It has 41k miles on it, after almost 48 months of ownership. I love it and look forward to the OKC drive. It is the mom of my former college room mate who is now a brother in law, she lived a great life and has been suffering the past few months so she was more than ready to leave this life.

A feature I really like of this car is the trunk size. Between it and the backseat when its just my wife and I traveling, it will haul enough to keep a Okie happy .

Great idea of my buying the product, I retired from ExxonMobil and still get a discount from them on buying fuel and accessories had not thought about buying it myself and getting my guy to do it. This guy has had a local shop here in Plano for almost 50 years between him and his dad. His place is full of trophies for his stable of 1960's muscle cars he keeps looking and running great. Just a great reliable guy and close by. I will check with him on if he carries this filter or if he has one he recommends as well.

I dont have snow tires for mine as snow is pretty rare here but going to NM over christmas will be my first run in snow. How does yours do in the snow? It seems lke the clearance is pretty low so hope it does ok if they have a ton of snow. I watch a webcam of Taos Ski and they had almost a foot of new snow up there today. Where I go is as high but faces south and gets less snow than the location where Taos ski valley is. Anyway how does yours do in the snow and winter tires on it? I have Pirelli Pzero Nero's on mine.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 10-31-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 01:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The car is awesome in the snow with the AWD. Even with the RWD and traction control its surprisingly good.
Old 10-31-18, 03:10 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Johnhw2
It has 41k miles on it, after almost 48 months of ownership.

I dont have snow tires for mine as snow is pretty rare here but going to NM over christmas will be my first run in snow. How does yours do in the snow? It seems lke the clearance is pretty low so hope it does ok if they have a ton of snow. I watch a webcam of Taos Ski and they had almost a foot of new snow up there today. Where I go is as high but faces south and gets less snow than the location where Taos ski valley is. Anyway how does yours do in the snow and winter tires on it? I have Pirelli Pzero Nero's on mine.
Since you are nearing the end of the new car warranty, do you have any plans of buying an extended warranty (Platinum VSA)?

I had Michelin MXM4s and switched to Pirelli P7 Cinturatos over the summer. The Michelins were fine in the snow to the extent I drove it in the white stuff. As Steve mentioned, the AWD and traction control also work wonders, so I have never felt a need for snow tires. Last Christmas, my car was snowed under (6 inches) in Des Moines. I had no trouble driving it in the snow, but that's a bit different from the heavy stuff you are talking about in the mountains.

A CLer, Scrutator, drives often to ski resorts in CA in his 460 F-sport. I am sure he has some opinions on snow tires for such drives.

Quick Reply: Learned something today from two dealers