LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Melting Interior Alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 03:28 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

I got my glove box and center console armrest put in today. Not sure if there are any other parts missing, but the car is looking rather new inside. It's becoming more and more difficult to consider upgrading to a 14-16. It's a great position to be in. Love my car.
Old 07-23-19, 07:40 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts

I got the call today from Doug at Lexus of Tulsa that my parts are in. We set up an appointment for Saturday to have both front door panels replaced, the glove box door replaced and the lower instrument panel replaced. The Dash and rear consul area did not need replacing.

Dennis
Old 07-23-19, 01:55 PM
qtrung909
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My dash and door panels were replaced. The wood grain on the door panels are a bit darker than the rest but not a big bother. They did not do the glove box or center console. There was a crack on the dash bezel and before changing the dash, the service tech said that it would most likely break when pulled out. So I had to purchase a new bezel at $507. Other than that the experience was nice.
Old 11-05-21, 06:54 PM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigjule111
Wow what a joke ...complete waste of time at Lexus of Cherry Hill ..the sa telling me that the issues I have on my door panels are from oils and some dirt and that there's no stickiness whatsoever...I told her ofcourse there isn't rite at the moment it's cold and not humid .. she told me to bring the car back in the summer ! What a joke .. I'll bring it back in the summer but not to this Lexus dealer ..
Better be sure next summer will not be past the warranty period.
Old 11-06-21, 08:03 PM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
No, you appear to have the same issue as everyone else. I reside in south Georgia and my car is only driveable about 3 or 4 months each year unless you can tolerate sticky door panels, glove box door, dash and console. I have managed to avoid any damage/wear to these parts by limiting my driving during the hottest and most humid periods of the year. My car is an 08 and extremely sound mechanically with less than 51000 miles but I am reluctant to attempt to sell it because I would fully disclose the stickiness issue which would discourage any potential buyer.
A interior repair shop told me a few days ago that the dash emits toxic chemicals from the heat.
Old 11-06-21, 08:05 PM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LS430FL
interesting idea. Another suggestion would be to get used pieces off eBay. Some models of the LS had real leather and not the troublesome plastic material that ended up melting. Plenty of used ones on eBay. Might even be cheaper than having the pieces wrapped in suede.
A interior repair shop just told me that interior emits toxic chemicals when it’s hot.
Old 11-06-21, 08:06 PM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
Well, I am thinking about alternatives to repairing my melting interior. I have reached out to Lexus corporate and they are not willing to replace my interior due to mileage and a rebuilt title on my LS460. I have been thinking about pulling all interior vinyl pieces and taking them to an upholstery shop to be wrapped, but I'm always looking for DIY ways I can handle anything. That got me thinking about old car builds I've done in the past (mainly my old 240sx days) and has anyone considering Flocking these panels and Dashboard. I would compare flocking the dash with having an upholstery shop wrap everything with suede. I've noticed that there are a few threads with IS and ISF guys talking about doing this, but didn't see any comments in the LS area. Thoughts???

Also, does anyone have pics of a LS dash or interior pieces that have been wrapped in suede? I'd like to get an idea of the finished product.
A interior repair shop just told me that interior emits toxic chemicals when hot. I’m surprised Lexus didn’t let the public know this because of the health risk.
Old 12-08-21, 06:45 AM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

I recently got my 2007 LS 460L and some of the interior parts have been replaced but they didn't replace the dash nor the upper door panels. I tried a auto interior shop and they said they couldn't do anything with it because of the sticky would not hold a new covering. I recently found some information online of others who have used bug & tar remover to clear the sticky layer off the dash, requires some elbow grease rubbing for that. Also others have used baking soda to remove the sticky layer. After it was removed they spray it with a new covering but I for got what the new covering spray is, I believe it's vinyl covering spray of some kind.
Old 12-08-21, 01:03 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 528 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Parrokeete
I recently got my 2007 LS 460L and some of the interior parts have been replaced but they didn't replace the dash nor the upper door panels. I tried a auto interior shop and they said they couldn't do anything with it because of the sticky would not hold a new covering. I recently found some information online of others who have used bug & tar remover to clear the sticky layer off the dash, requires some elbow grease rubbing for that. Also others have used baking soda to remove the sticky layer. After it was removed they spray it with a new covering but I for got what the new covering spray is, I believe it's vinyl covering spray of some kind.
The upper part of the door panels can be recovered. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...or-panels.html

For the dash imo it's probably best to source a used ls600h leather dash from ebay. They are $200 or so. The labor will likely sting a bit.

Old 12-08-21, 02:22 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

There's an Aussie product to re-coat the vinyl. It's in a thread here. Several said it worked well.
Old 12-08-21, 05:57 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 528 Likes on 325 Posts

Interesting, I may give it a try on my doors as a test. I think this is what they used. https://stickydashfix.com/collections/lexus

We had a rx330 which developed a number of cracks in the dash and another rx that had big chunks fall off. I don't think the sticky fix would have helped them as they weren't sticky that I recall.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (12-08-21)