LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Good news from Lexus about melting door panel, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 07:17 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I have the black interior as well and know exactly what you're talking about. I'm hoping they'll replace all mine for that reason because the drivers panel is the only one with actual cracks and little bits missing, but all other panels require cleaning/touchup regularly to stay looking good, even if nobody has been near that panel.

Just got off the phone with Lexus, have an appointment tomorrow to get the panels inspected.

Last edited by 213374U; 11-29-18 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 08:25 AM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Just went in to Lexus of Memphis for my 08. Drivers door panel is bad (had cracked open). Pass armrest shows minor wear but doesn't really appear to be related to the issue.

They are sending paperwork to Lexus to replace drivers door panel and Dashboard (which IMO doesn't show wear, but I'm happy to have it fixed).

Wish they were doing pass armrest but I'll just bring it back up there this summer when it's hot and sticky, and have them initiate the repair on that panel since this bulletin appears to extend out a couple years.
Old 11-29-18, 11:21 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
I have the black interior as well and know exactly what you're talking about. I'm hoping they'll replace all mine for that reason because the drivers panel is the only one with actual cracks and little bits missing, but all other panels require cleaning/touchup regularly to stay looking good, even if nobody has been near that panel.

Just got off the phone with Lexus, have an appointment tomorrow to get the panels inspected.
Please keep me/us posted after your visit tomorrow - I also have a 2010 460L like you. What month was your car made? Mine is July 2010 so I was surprised to see my car have this as it was so close to being a 2011.

I wonder how Lexus corporate is instructing them to inspect - specifically when it's cold outside and the material may not feel sticky at the moment, I wonder if this type of discoloration is an indication of the defective material that they are told to look for. I will be pretty easy on my Lexus folks because I paid about $800 to have my door handles wrapped in vinyl about 10 months ago, so my only request is to replace the glove box and the center console..both of which show the discoloration pretty badly with no dressing. Please share your experience and any tips you may have. Thanks!
Old 11-29-18, 12:12 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
In addition to the stickiness, is everyone else seeing discoloration as well? The interior of my car is black and almost all of the surfaces (glove box, door panels, and the entire center console piece) turn a very light grey with smudges everywhere if I don't keep an interior dressing on them every 2 weeks or so. This type of discoloration may not be as noticeable on the lighter colors - but if anyone who has gotten commitment from Lexus to replace certain pieces can respond about their experience with discoloration I'd appreciate it. Still waiting for my letter from Lexus corporate to arrive so I can take my car in for inspection.
I believe the "ashy" look on black surfaces is normal. I have a small detail business and I've seen a new Toyotas in particular a 2017 Highlander black dash look chalky/ashy during hot days. It may be the dressing chemical drying up or chemical gases from the dash board. My dashboard on my 2008 LS460 get a bit soft around 90 degrees but never to a point where I can press my thumb into it and leave finger prints etc.

Last edited by JLAWS; 11-29-18 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-29-18, 12:20 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JLAWS
I believe the "ashy" look on black surfaces is normal. I have a small detail business and I've seen a new Toyotas in particular a 2017 Highlander black dash look chalky/ashy during hot days. It may be the dressing chemical drying up or chemical gases from the dash board. My dashboard on my 2008 LS460 get a bit soft around 90 degrees but never to a point where I can press my thumb into it and leave finger prints etc.
I don't think this is normal - my center console area is "ashy" in areas that can't really be reached (between the seat for example) to add dressing to it, so it can't be the dressing chemical drying up. The glove box shows what I would describe as streaks of the "ashiness" where someone's hands would be to close the glove box. The door panels were so bad that parts of them almost appeared white. To me it's all related to the material they used, but I guess Lexus is the judge of that.
Old 11-30-18, 02:48 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Sitting at Lexus now, was just told they're replacing everything but the center console lid cover! Almost $10K in parts and mine wasn't even that bad. Every 460 owner needs to take theirs in to see what they can do, I'm pretty floored atm
Old 11-30-18, 10:26 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by rolloman
Called Lexus Corporate upon your suggestions. They sent me letter and instructions for the dealer. Went to the dealer...they reluctantly took pictures and submitted all items for a complete replacement of all 4 door panels, glove box and center console. They were well aware of the ZLZ CSP and told me that the parts should arrive within 2 months. I’m still a bit skeptical but much more hopeful that this will all finally be rectified after many years of back and forth.

Big thanks to each of you and to CL! This forum has saved me thousands $$$ through out the years. Real Life saver!

Contact info that worked for you?
Old 12-01-18, 09:24 AM
MrDOS
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Contact info that worked for you?
I registered with https://drivers.lexus.com, and selected "Contact Us" (Email) at the bottom. They replied the same day!
Old 12-01-18, 01:13 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Taking mine in next Friday.
Old 12-01-18, 03:58 PM
biggmellow
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I got this as well

But I haven't had this happen. Anyone think it's a good idea to tint the windshield a bit to help prevent this. If so do you have any recommendations on type of tint and how dark. Not old for the windshield but the entire car given it comes with factory tint.
Old 12-01-18, 08:12 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

I put Llumar Air 80 on the windshield and sunroof. It made a small difference in heat. Leaving the sunroof shade open afterwards made a big change in the heat you feel.

Since my dash was done by the time i had the film If the sun still hits the top inside corner of the door. It gets sticky still. I had 20 percent tint done to all the windows.
Old 12-02-18, 01:59 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 213374U
Sitting at Lexus now, was just told they're replacing everything but the center console lid cover! Almost $10K in parts and mine wasn't even that bad. Every 460 owner needs to take theirs in to see what they can do, I'm pretty floored atm
Fantastic news. Can you elaborate at all on the process and any comments you may have heard from the person who inspected it?
Old 12-02-18, 06:40 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi

Just received my letter from Lexus Saturday for the warranty enhancement.

I’ll wait for warmer weather cuz I believe the glove box has a bit of tackiness to it as there are fingerprints that won’t go away.

Nothing else in mine has has issues as it is all leather.

Old 12-03-18, 10:33 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Fantastic news. Can you elaborate at all on the process and any comments you may have heard from the person who inspected it?
Not sure on the process as I just handed them the key and took 45 minutes to grab a coffee and check out the latest models. Also didn't get much feedback from him beyond what they're replacing, but he seemed surprised Corporate was going to cover everything but the armrest. Once he told me that I didn't want to ask any more questions, didn't want to give them any reason to revisit their decision at that point

Does anyone know if the b-pillar cover, the one that gets knicked and torn up in every 460 I've ever seen, is covered in this? Or was that a previous warranty replacement that already expired?
The following users liked this post:
jrmckinley (12-03-18)
Old 12-03-18, 02:18 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by icon901
Just went in to Lexus of Memphis for my 08. Drivers door panel is bad (had cracked open). Pass armrest shows minor wear but doesn't really appear to be related to the issue.

They are sending paperwork to Lexus to replace drivers door panel and Dashboard (which IMO doesn't show wear, but I'm happy to have it fixed).

Wish they were doing pass armrest but I'll just bring it back up there this summer when it's hot and sticky, and have them initiate the repair on that panel since this bulletin appears to extend out a couple years.
I'm in Memphis and just got my 08 interior approved for replacement. If you talked with Gary, he should have told you this was a one shot deal. My driver side armrest was cracked open and covered with electrical tape. I convinced him to do the entire interior. He told me it was now or never as I wouldn't be able to come back for seconds. How true that is I don't know, but if you can get it all, go for it.
The following users liked this post:
HOWIEXU (06-08-19)

Quick Reply: Good news from Lexus about melting door panel, etc...