LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Front End Weight Reduction

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-18, 02:17 PM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front End Weight Reduction

So as we all know the front end suspension of our LS460s is very, uh, fragile. I just replaced my entire front end suspension (bought the car like this), I mean all of it I wish I thought to take pictures, 8 control arms, tie rods, ball joints, struts, knuckles, sway bar and links, all shot. The rear end was all fine by the way! The neighborhood I live in has the worst roads in NYC the city of ****y streets in case anyone was wondering how such a negative anomaly is possible.

I want to do some front end and general weight reduction hoping to reduce stress on the suspension. I’m going to buy the front end pieces of a carbon fiber body kit and get a local shop to retrofit some lightweight sport seats. All in all would save a couple hundred pounds over the front wheels. ...Probably for like $5000... What do you guys think? Worth it?
Old 11-11-18, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Your LS is a 2007, its 11-12 years old....and its driven on the worst roads in NYC but the suspension is fragile? NYC cars get hammered, having the suspension worn out after 11 years of NYC driving is not "fragile".

I wouldn't reduce weight, I would just drive as carefully as you can. If you replaced everything you should be good for another 11 years.
Old 11-11-18, 06:21 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

I don't think you should spend that kind of money. Nothing will make the front end last longer on NYC streets but good common sense driving.
Old 11-12-18, 05:48 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

I would just set aside the $5,000 for a front suspension fund and just drive right over those potholes without worrying about it.
Old 11-12-18, 06:44 PM
DriverSS
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Biggest bang for the buck will be lightweight wheels and tires. There are significant benefits to reducing the rotating mass the suspension has to deal with. Of course, there may be other considerations in tire choices and rim choices that may cancel out the weight saving benefits...
Old 11-13-18, 07:42 AM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
I would just set aside the $5,000 for a front suspension fund and just drive right over those potholes without worrying about it.
This is my alternative. I still have money set aside for the car that I thought I would need. The body kit bumper and hood look so cool though! I’m going to get a quote from the shop anyway.
Old 11-13-18, 10:12 AM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Your LS is a 2007, its 11-12 years old....and its driven on the worst roads in NYC but the suspension is fragile?
Front suspension, yes. I guess it’s relative, just considering the entirety of the rear suspension is still okay. My cars records indicate that this is the second time the control arms and tie rods are being replaced. I’ve read enough about various aftermarket control arms going prematurely and much newer models with the same issues to suggest that the common failure with our front control arms isn’t necessarily a problem with the arms nor the bushings but perhaps the weight distribution of the car.

I wish I could drive more carefully but Im busy and I can’t necessarily drive 20mph everywhere around here especially if I’m trying to get though this traffic.

Last edited by Legus; 11-13-18 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-13-18, 12:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Legus

Front suspension, yes. I guess it’s relative, just considering the entirety of the rear suspension is still okay. I’ve read enough about various aftermarket control arms going prematurely and much newer models with the same issues to suggest that the common failure with our front control arms isn’t necessarily a problem with the arms nor the bushings but perhaps the weight distribution of the car.

I wish I could drive more carefully but Im busy and I can’t necessarily drive 20mph everywhere around here especially if I’m trying to get though this traffic.
Makes perfect sense, the front suspension always wears out in a car first.

The car is a pretty neutral weight distribution, its not front heavy.
Old 11-13-18, 01:40 PM
Nospinzone

Received 427 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Your LS is a 2007, its 11-12 years old....and its driven on the worst roads in NYC but the suspension is fragile? NYC cars get hammered, having the suspension worn out after 11 years of NYC driving is not "fragile".

I wouldn't reduce weight, I would just drive as carefully as you can. If you replaced everything you should be good for another 11 years.
Agree with this 100%. Try to drive more slowly over the rough areas and potholes. Speaking of potholes, the season is about to begin.
Old 11-25-18, 06:24 AM
Legus
Driver School Candidate

I guess... 2000 miles later the new lower control arm bushings we installed are done. Just had a look at everything in the shop last night.
So what would you call that then?
Old 11-25-18, 01:27 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Did you use OEM bushings? If not then everything else is a crapshoot. Did you torque all the bushings while they were loaded?
Old 11-25-18, 04:24 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Legus
I guess... 2000 miles later the new lower control arm bushings we installed are done. Just had a look at everything in the shop last night.
So what would you call that then?
The problem lies with the aftermarket companies, its all low quality stuff made in china (not everything from china is bad quality but these control arms seem to be" and most of it is just rebranded with the companies logo.

Beck arnley, movotech, dorman, ac delco etc.... all low quality stuff slapped with the companies logo on it, they are not manufacturing anything on their own.

I think they can get away with this on MOST cars but not with the massive size and weight of the LS, they are wearing out very quick.

Many posts talking about how the control arms went out again after a short period of time.

I bit the bullet and purchased PSB urethane bushings and my 08 is in the shop as we speak having them replaced.

He is a little mad I didn't buy the complete arms as its more work for him, but I am not going to do this job every 6 months or a year , its once and that's it (I hope)

The urethane bushings may cause the ride to be more firm and less luxurious but at least they are known to be more durable and should last a lot longer.

Personally I wouldn't mind a lightly more firm sporty type feel even if there is a sacrifice on some level.