LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

the 3 safety recalls, anyone mechanically inclined and had it done care to comment?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 12:50 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts
Default the 3 safety recalls, anyone mechanically inclined and had it done care to comment?

ELF - Safety Recall ELF - Remedy Notice - Various Models - Potential Fuel Pressure Sensor Leak

ALE - Safety Recall ALE - Certain Lexus GS 350, GS 450h, GS 460, IS 350, LS 460, LS 460 L, and LS 600h L Vehicles - Valve Spring

9LA - Safety Recall 9LA - Certain 2006 - 2007 GS, 2006 - 2008 IS And 2007 - 2008 LS Vehicles, Replacement Of Fuel Delivery Pipes (Fuel Rails)

So these 3, can be found on my VIN, they are obliged to fix it even though the car is no longer in the US, the door panel stuff not so lucky though I do not have any issues with that at the moment.

Anyone who has had all 3 done or even one can tell me what other recalls i might be missing and how involved of a process is it to fix the above and what I should be looking out for? These people are pretty incompetent in Ukraine and I want to make sure that, they do not mess up some other stuff when they fix this.

Thanks
Old 11-14-18, 04:44 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

They are all "involved". Having them done all at the same time, makes it "less involved", as much of the component removal will have already been done for subsequent component replacement.
Old 11-15-18, 12:02 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
They are all "involved". Having them done all at the same time, makes it "less involved", as much of the component removal will have already been done for subsequent component replacement.
good to know thanks.
Old 11-16-18, 01:55 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Looks like my gas smell issues when starting up is going to be fixed, all the 3 recalls will be handled and my car isnt even in the US. Not bad I’d say. Msged then on FB. Then someone contacted me via email all in all 2 days I think.
Old 11-16-18, 02:41 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

I wouldn't not want someone incompetent performing ANY of these recalls, especially the valve spring recall. I'd consider two of the three recalls, major surgery.

The valve spring recall requires removal removal of the camshafts, and if your don't know how to keep timing and lock the chains in place on the variable valve timing, you're done. It would require removing a high pressure fuel system and valve covers. We're also talking about 32 valve keepers...I hate those things. No thanks.

The fuel o-ring requires the removal of the intake. If you've ever opened your hood you know the intake isn't buried under a rather intricate wiring hardness. Not fun. No thanks.
Old 11-17-18, 03:17 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I wouldn't not want someone incompetent performing ANY of these recalls, especially the valve spring recall. I'd consider two of the three recalls, major surgery.

The valve spring recall requires removal removal of the camshafts, and if your don't know how to keep timing and lock the chains in place on the variable valve timing, you're done. It would require removing a high pressure fuel system and valve covers. We're also talking about 32 valve keepers...I hate those things. No thanks.

The fuel o-ring requires the removal of the intake. If you've ever opened your hood you know the intake isn't buried under a rather intricate wiring hardness. Not fun. No thanks.

So anything I can do to make sure it was done right? things to look out for? so you think the gas smell is from the defective fuel rails? could this affect gas mileage?
Old 12-01-18, 02:00 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Anyone can comment about gas smell in car when starting up and air put to take in air from outside. It’s very strong when first starting up and dissipates after a few minutes
Old 12-01-18, 08:57 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Sorry I do not have any answers, but am curious: who performs this work in the Ukraine? Do you have Lexus dealers (I assume you do not) or would it be done at a Toyota dealer?
Old 12-01-18, 11:03 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NotFasty
Sorry I do not have any answers, but am curious: who performs this work in the Ukraine? Do you have Lexus dealers (I assume you do not) or would it be done at a Toyota dealer?
oh no we have lexus dealers here in the main cities., but they are probably just as incompetent as the ones in the US lol
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (12-03-18)
Old 12-03-18, 07:21 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Ah, OK. I think they are competent in the states but just very overpriced!

I wasn't sure the Lexus brand was global - I know that for many years (and still?) it was not sold in Japan itself.
Old 12-03-18, 09:26 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NotFasty
Ah, OK. I think they are competent in the states but just very overpriced!

I wasn't sure the Lexus brand was global - I know that for many years (and still?) it was not sold in Japan itself.
i think our definitions of competent is very different lol I can also replace everything instead of repairing anything given garage space and instructions I know how to follow them that doesn’t make me a competent mechanic ...😂😂
Old 12-06-18, 11:57 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

With the high cost of labor and a labor force that has lost the art of actually repairing something, it ends up being easier to replace the component. I am not mechanically inclined at all and would never attempt to take a car apart, but I could take apart and repair most electronic items when I was a teenager. Today I end up just replacing the item rather than trying to find someone who could repair it.