LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Front control arm bushings FAIL AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 03:40 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Here is the link for the bushings

https://www.armstrongdistributors.co...sb-460-461-463

The part number for the front uppers AND lowers is "PSB 460"

Good question regarding the awd and rwd , hope you can figure that out and post back, would be valuable info for the awd guys
The following users liked this post:
213374U (12-04-18)
Old 12-05-18, 07:26 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1

Good question regarding the awd and rwd , hope you can figure that out and post back, would be valuable info for the awd guys
Thanks *****!
Could we use this thread to capture the links to the bushing suppliers that others have used as well?
It would be good to have them all in one thread.

The above link only addresses the front bushings. I did not see where they provide replacements for the rear bushings. would like to find sources for all of them .
Old 12-06-18, 08:09 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

While the new-to-me '12 LS 460 L is not yet on its way to me, I have a full set of front urethane bushes in a bag, ready to go. I'll update when I have both manufacturer info and have them installed.

It'll be a while, more than likely, with only 77k miles on the new car.
Old 01-02-19, 05:01 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

hey its been a few months, how are your bushings doing? any squeaks noises etc anything at all?
Old 01-03-19, 10:37 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
hey its been a few months, how are your bushings doing? any squeaks noises etc anything at all?
all good, no squeaks or issues of any kind

I don't notice the ride to be any different either then the OEM, but maybe that's because I only did the front lowers and not the uppers

Hope other people can try them out and report back as well, to me this is the right way to go about it
Old 01-04-19, 04:47 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

all good, no squeaks or issues of any kind

I don't notice the ride to be any different either then the OEM, but maybe that's because I only did the front lowers and not the uppers

Hope other people can try them out and report back as well, to me this is the right way to go about it
thamks for getting back, don’t know when illl get around to doing mine but I shall post if I do.
Old 01-05-19, 02:36 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 111 Likes on 81 Posts

Tried the poly bushing route, turned to crap after a few thousand miles. Two of them are "squeezing" out of the control arm because they aren't designed to twist and flex like the OEM rubber ones. They clunk and squeak 100% of the time if the temperature drops below 50 or 60 degrees. Have to have music on so your passengers don't ask what is broken.

All the aftermarket arms for $30 on ebay are Chinese and will almost certainly fail again. There are quite a few product reviews that confirm the same.

Going back to OEM arms for sure. Keep your eyes peeled on ebay and you can find new OEM arms for around $200-$300 a piece.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 01-05-19, 03:35 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Tried the poly bushing route, turned to crap after a few thousand miles. Two of them are "squeezing" out of the control arm because they aren't designed to twist and flex like the OEM rubber ones. They clunk and squeak 100% of the time if the temperature drops below 50 or 60 degrees. Have to have music on so your passengers don't ask what is broken.

All the aftermarket arms for $30 on ebay are Chinese and will almost certainly fail again. There are quite a few product reviews that confirm the same.

Going back to OEM arms for sure. Keep your eyes peeled on ebay and you can find new OEM arms for around $200-$300 a piece.
did you use psb bushings from Armstrong or what Chinese fleabay stuff?
Old 01-05-19, 03:46 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Yep, used the PSB kit. They installed fine, just like any other poly bushing install. Before they worked their way out of the arm they still would squeak from day one. Hard to avoid that on poly bushings though. Awhile later I heard clunking at full lock. Then I looked and they were like the picture. They have been like that for probably two years now. Just been too lazy to order new OEM arms.

If anyone is interested in the lower kit PM me, I never used that one.

Last edited by TaninAuto; 01-05-19 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-05-19, 04:54 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Yep, used the PSB kit. They installed fine, just like any other poly bushing install. Before they worked their way out of the arm they still would squeak from day one. Hard to avoid that on poly bushings though. Awhile later I heard clunking at full lock. Then I looked and they were like the picture. They have been like that for probably two years now. Just been too lazy to order new OEM arms.

If anyone is interested in the lower kit PM me, I never used that one.

Ok cool I’m curious why you did not use the bushings with the stock control arms? Because now it’s hard to say if it’s the bushings or an issue with the install.. as far as I can tell they have to be install as someone else mentioned with the suspension at normal ride height before being torqued down... I might be interested in the bushings PM pls
Old 01-05-19, 04:55 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

The upper bushings were installed in the upper control arms.There was nothing wrong with any of the lower OEM bushings so I didn't want to touch them.
Old 01-05-19, 06:40 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Judging from the "wound up" appearance of my car's lower bushings, Lexus torques the arms in the fully-extended suspension position during assembly at the factory.
Old 01-05-19, 07:36 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

The upper bushings were installed in the upper control arms.There was nothing wrong with any of the lower OEM bushings so I didn't want to touch them.
eh that’s not what i meant, the way you phrased your post you made it sound like your control arms were after market too, are they stock or aftermarket?

Last edited by jdanielca; 01-05-19 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-05-19, 07:37 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Oh, no. All of the control arms are factory. I pressed out the original failed bushings initially and then put the poly ones in.
Old 01-05-19, 07:52 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Oh, no. All of the control arms are factory. I pressed out the original failed bushings initially and then put the poly ones in.
understood.... hmmm wonder if I should go with febest...

Quick Reply: Front control arm bushings FAIL AGAIN