LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Major Repairs on LS460 at 147k miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 08:43 PM
LCLS460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Repairs on LS460 at 147k miles

I have a 2008 LS 460 with 147k miles and was hearing a loud hum type of noise for a little bit. It got louder then went away. I then noticed my heater not working. I took to the dealer and was told the radiator itself is cracked or the hose is. Either way to fix will cost $2800. I was also told the breaks and chassy (?) will also need to be replaced down the road at a much higher cost I believe they said $8K to replace all that after initial 2800 cost. Is this worth fixing and is that common for car at 147K miles? I have no idea what to do? I thought these cars were built to last?
Old 12-01-18, 05:58 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

How mechanically inclined are you? The radiator isn’t that difficult to replace if you have an idea of what your doing. I would need more information on the brakes and chassis. Brakes are can be really easy to replace depending on the diagnosis. The are writeups in the stickies on changing pads and rotors. Replacing the Chassis doesn’t even makes sense. A Chasis is basically the skeleton of the car. If the Chasis is bad you car should be totaled. Unless, I am misunderstanding something.

https://g.co/kgs/wYnJxs

Old 12-01-18, 06:02 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

Also, not sure on why you would hear a loud humming noise from the radiator going out. I would assume the noise was coming from the blower motor, which is another very easy part to replace. Have you had any issues with antifreeze leaks?

When you say the the heater stopped working. Is it blowing air that’s no longer cool or is it not bowing air at all? If it’s not blowing air at all (heat or A/C) that would point me back at the blower motor.
The following users liked this post:
LCLS460 (12-02-18)
Old 12-01-18, 06:05 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

At this point, it makes absolutely no sense to have the dealer do any work on the car. If you’re not mechanically inclined, find yourself an independent shop and have them do the work. Brakes are easy (just did mine). Chassis could mean the control arms???
LCLS460 (12-02-18)
Old 12-01-18, 07:26 PM
Gjohnson
Driver

Originally Posted by 0133642
Who on earth takes a car out of warranty to the dealer?
LOL! . Truth!
Old 12-02-18, 09:20 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Radiator to replace should cost $200 bucks tops if you can do it yourself. $500 for an independent shop. But it sounds like you need a water pump, hoses and radiator, still that shouldn't cost anywhere near what you were quoted. I would think $900 for all of that would be fair.

As for the brakes, any repair totaling over $2,000 is probably involving the brake actuator, because pads and rotors shouldn't exceed $1,000-$1,200 if you're having an independent shop do it...and again if you did it yourself it'd run you around $500 for pads and rotors all around.

Shop around and get a second opinion. But I'll tell you what, I'd keep a close eye on oil consumption before I decided on doing any major repairs at that mileage...because if you're burning through a quart every 500-1000 miles? Why bother? You'll be heading into major headaches pretty soon if that's the case.
Old 12-02-18, 06:03 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Well just in case it wasn't clear enough I'll say again -never go back to that dealership. They're simply trying to milk you for money at stupid prices, possibly on some items that don't need replacement. There are plenty of suckers out there who just take their word for it and pay up, don't be one of those. Do research and find yourself a good independent mechanic. If you're not mechanically inclined that's ok, but you should consider reading up on basic automotive mechanical features, brakes for example, to understand how the components work, what parts fail and what typical replacement costs are. Being without this info opens you up to writing blank checks to shops. I'm sure your car at the mileage will have some issues here and there but I wouldn't lose confidence in it. Any vehicle at 147k in front of a hungry service advisor is going to need thousands of dollars of work.
NotFasty (12-02-18)
Old 12-02-18, 08:13 PM
LCLS460
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply and information, I’m not mechanically inclined at all and I’m sure the dealer is taking full advantage of that. I will find an independent mechanic and take it there.
Old 12-02-18, 08:18 PM
LCLS460
Driver School Candidate

I am so glad I posted on here even if I do seem a little naive about going to the dealer. All the information you have shared with me has been very helpful and I know what I need to do now. I will post results from mechanic after they check it out and let you know what they say. Thank you!
Old 12-02-18, 08:20 PM
LCLS460
Driver School Candidate

I know now, big mistake!
Old 12-02-18, 08:28 PM
LCLS460
Driver School Candidate

No oil leak issues or any other leaks, just the noise I heard which is probably the blower the other gentleman mentioned which makes sense and the heater not working. Before that I wasn’t have any problems. The brake pedal when I press on it makes a sound on the inside like an older brake pedal but no issues with the brakes. I am going to have a referred independent mechanic look everything over to get the truth about what is going on and now I know and learned my lesson. I like my car a lot and it still looks great I really am not ready to get rid of it yet. Thank you for your help!
Old 12-02-18, 08:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by LCLS460
I have a 2008 LS 460 with 147k miles and was hearing a loud hum type of noise for a little bit. It got louder then went away. I then noticed my heater not working. I took to the dealer and was told the radiator itself is cracked or the hose is. Either way to fix will cost $2800. I was also told the breaks and chassy (?) will also need to be replaced down the road at a much higher cost I believe they said $8K to replace all that after initial 2800 cost. Is this worth fixing and is that common for car at 147K miles? I have no idea what to do? I thought these cars were built to last?

Bolded the part that's the issue. You CANNOT take an old Lexus to the Lexus dealer. The cost is just insane, you will eat up the value of the car in repairs in no time. Dealers are just too expensive, and they have a replace, replace, replace mentality that is fine when Lexus is paying, but it will break you when you are paying. This applies to ALL LEXUS DEALERS. Not saying they're bad, many do good work and deliver a great customer experience the cost is just very high.

You need to find a good independent mechanic that knows asian cars. Radiator is a $500-700 job. They're talking about control arms for $8k. You can do that job at an independent for $1,500.

It is a car thats built to last, but its 11 years old with 150k miles and its going to need love from time to time. Just DON'T TAKE IT TO THE DEALER. Mine's 11 months old and has 16k miles on it, and even I don't take it to the dealer unless its a warranty problem.

Independent mechanics you can trust also will tell you what needs to be done now and what can wait.
Old 12-02-18, 09:07 PM
LCLS460
Driver School Candidate

Thanks SW17LS - so I am guessing when my trunk would not open and they (dealer) had to replace the electrical component of the trunk for $800 I paid too much then?
Old 12-02-18, 09:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Thanks SW17LS - so I am guessing when my trunk would not open and they (dealer) had to replace the electrical component of the trunk for $800 I paid too much then?
I would guarantee it
Old 12-03-18, 04:39 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

No oil leak issues or any other leaks, just the noise I heard which is probably the blower the other gentleman mentioned which makes sense and the heater not working. Before that I wasn’t have any problems. The brake pedal when I press on it makes a sound on the inside like an older brake pedal but no issues with the brakes. I am going to have a referred independent mechanic look everything over to get the truth about what is going on and now I know and learned my lesson. I like my car a lot and it still looks great I really am not ready to get rid of it yet. Thank you for your help!
not leak but consumption, he means if your engine is USING up engine oil at the rate he mentioned that the engine has issues and there is not much point fixing anything else better to get rid of it.

Quick Reply: Major Repairs on LS460 at 147k miles