LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone ever had to replace their shock mounts??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18 | 10:01 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Default Anyone ever had to replace their shock mounts??

I don’t hear too much talk about the shock tops. Just checking to see if anyone was able to resolve a front and knocking by replacing the shock mounts.
Old 12-06-18 | 10:22 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Have done this on other cars, and yes - it is a thing that wears out and causes noises. One of the things to check after the obvious things (control arm bushings, ball joints, swaybar links).
Old 12-06-18 | 10:30 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Tec80
Have done this on other cars, and yes - it is a thing that wears out and causes noises. One of the things to check after the obvious things (control arm bushings, ball joints, swaybar links).
The reason I’m asking is because I hear the knocking sound going over small bumps and the sound seems so close to me like it’s right behind the dashboard. The only thing I haven’t changed are the lower control arms because I would have to take the knuckle to a shop and have them press the ball out. Are you saying that it’s more likely the lowers causing this? And would the sound be that close?
Old 12-09-18 | 07:16 AM
Kadrian21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by norviewguy

The reason I’m asking is because I hear the knocking sound going over small bumps and the sound seems so close to me like it’s right behind the dashboard. The only thing I haven’t changed are the lower control arms because I would have to take the knuckle to a shop and have them press the ball out. Are you saying that it’s more likely the lowers causing this? And would the sound be that close?
i have the same problem the dealer first said control arms replaced still making the noise then air struts same thing even replaced sway bar links still making the noise control arm bushings everything I’m about to trade it in the suspension on this car is just poorly designed in my opinion
Old 12-10-18 | 04:06 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Kadrian21

i have the same problem the dealer first said control arms replaced still making the noise then air struts same thing even replaced sway bar links still making the noise control arm bushings everything I’m about to trade it in the suspension on this car is just poorly designed in my opinion
i feel like I bought a dud. But I’m just going to keep pressing till I find the culprit. I think I am going to remove all the plastic coverings and see if the noise goes alway. It just sounds like something is knocking on something.
Old 12-13-18 | 05:04 PM
rneteorite
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by norviewguy

i feel like I bought a dud. But I’m just going to keep pressing till I find the culprit. I think I am going to remove all the plastic coverings and see if the noise goes alway. It just sounds like something is knocking on something.
Please let us know how that is after. I replaced my bushings and it's still there, gonna go for ball joints next. : ( Man.....
Old 12-14-18 | 12:38 AM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Same issue here after replacing all 8 control arms, sway bar links, inner/outer tie rods....
Old 12-14-18 | 03:52 AM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Did you check the sway bar bushings?
Old 12-14-18 | 04:51 AM
norviewguy
Driver

Originally Posted by Benjam1n
Did you check the sway bar bushings?
Originally Posted by MobbinVIP
Same issue here after replacing all 8 control arms, sway bar links, inner/outer tie rods....
Originally Posted by rneteorite
Please let us know how that is after. I replaced my bushings and it's still there, gonna go for ball joints next. : ( Man.....

Sway bar bushing and links were done to no avail! Definitely thought it was the swaybar bushings because they were dry and had a significantly smaller profile. When I was done the bar was nice and snug. But no change. it’s weird because every now and then I would hit something with the right tire and I swear I could hear it on the resonate to the left side.

I remember ber reading about the steering rack being loose how does one find and tighten that?