LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why would 1 of 4 bottom door lights be very dim?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-18, 12:20 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Why would 1 of 4 bottom door lights be very dim?

I'm in the process of swapping in LED bulbs and discovered that the passenger rear door light is VERY dim. I've tried multiple LED bulbs and the original incandescent and they're all barely lit.

What's my next step? Attach a multimeter and check current across that socket? Mine is broken, so I need to buy or get hands-on another one.

If a meter reports low voltage... I'm not sure what to do next. Check fuses? I wouldn't think a dead fuse would make one dim...

Thanks.
Old 12-16-18, 01:25 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 215 Likes on 164 Posts

You might have shorted the circuits out by prying out the old bulbs with a metal screw driver. It happened to me when I made contact with the terminals.
I could not find any bad fuses to change out or a fix online. I just leave the left rear door without a bulb since it stays faintly lit even when I close the door.
Old 12-16-18, 01:56 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFasty
I'm in the process of swapping in LED bulbs and discovered that the passenger rear door light is VERY dim. I've tried multiple LED bulbs and the original incandescent and they're all barely lit.

What's my next step? Attach a multimeter and check current across that socket? Mine is broken, so I need to buy or get hands-on another one.

If a meter reports low voltage... I'm not sure what to do next. Check fuses? I wouldn't think a dead fuse would make one dim...

Thanks.
Digital meter is too sensitive which can give bogus voltage reading. Try analog meter liike Simpson 260.
Old 12-16-18, 02:00 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Digital meter is too sensitive which can give bogus voltage reading. Try analog meter liike Simpson 260.
Come on MAN!!! Only real Electronics Techs know about the Old School 260!!! Erbody now days got a Fuike 87.
Old 12-16-18, 02:37 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JLAWS
You might have shorted the circuits out by prying out the old bulbs with a metal screw driver. It happened to me when I made contact with the terminals.
I could not find any bad fuses to change out or a fix online. I just leave the left rear door without a bulb since it stays faintly lit even when I close the door.
Thanks. I only used my fingers and plastic trim tools. But I'm something of an idiot and didn't really check the bulb before I switched it out, but I don't think the bulb was dim.

I'll try to hit it with a multimeter and/or look for dead fuses. The LS has so many fuse blocks that I was hoping to avoid opening all of them....
Old 12-16-18, 02:48 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
Come on MAN!!! Only real Electronics Techs know about the Old School 260!!! Erbody now days got a Fuike 87.
Hi, LOL, I am an old fart. Been HAM since 1960. Worked as RF engineer until switching to systems engineering on super computers. I still use 260. Matter of
fact used it this week end installing motion sensor replacing one 3 way toggle switch. Of course I have some Fluke too. Got an early Christmas gift, An antenna
analyzer made in Ukraine! It is such a time saver I don't need to use noise bridge or GDO any more to work on antennas.It'll save me puch time when I put up
another antenna on the tower spring comes.Season's greetings de VE6CGX.

Old 12-17-18, 08:55 AM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Hi, LOL, I am an old fart. Been HAM since 1960. Worked as RF engineer until switching to systems engineering on super computers. I still use 260. Matter of
fact used it this week end installing motion sensor replacing one 3 way toggle switch. Of course I have some Fluke too. Got an early Christmas gift, An antenna
analyzer made in Ukraine! It is such a time saver I don't need to use noise bridge or GDO any more to work on antennas.It'll save me puch time when I put up
another antenna on the tower spring comes.Season's greetings de VE6CGX.
Remember back in the late 70's, setting up and adjusting the SWR'S ON THOSE 19 CHANNEL CB radios.
Old 12-17-18, 12:17 PM
jmcraney
Forum Moderator

Received 277 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by NotFasty

Thanks.
Seems like there is a component called a Door Light Multiplexer or something like that. I believe the door lights are controlled by solid-state switches and one of those devices has probably been damaged.

There may be some helpful information here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-pls-help.html
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (12-17-18)
Old 12-17-18, 12:57 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Wow, thanks. I did not find that via search. Very interesting. Odd that mine is dim and not dead. I am planning on digging through the fuses one at a time anyway - cheap possible fix. I can't find that multiplexer for my 2012 on Ebay & am not even sure where the part lives inside my car...