LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Getting into a LS460L for around $15-16K possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 09:16 AM
Little
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Getting into a LS460L for around $15-16K possible?

So now that i've spent an entire day looking at these cars I am pretty sure now I am done looking for the LS 430, unless something really good comes along for the right price. I'm in need of two new to me cars so we are trying to keep the price range around 15K a car max. I have some cash laying around but i'd rather just finance most of it. Is it possible to get into this car in the long wheelbase version with around 100K miles for $15,000 or so max? I've already teased myself by looking at one that is out of my budget at $19000 by me, Gorgeous might I add. I def want to have at least the Mark Levinson, NAV,in the car. I do not want AWD. I'd also like one without AIR but i don't think that came without air on the LWB.

I'm pretty set on a LWB as I'm about to have a second child in April and that last two cars are just soo tight with the rear facing carseats but i guess if the right SWB came along I'd def look into it . Plus it will help with the feet on the seats i believe. Has anyone gotten this lucky? Do I need to be looking at private deals only?

Also want the car to be Black on black. I came across a super nice SWB in boston but the car has the Light Gray interior which i think is a huge no no with the kids. We had a '16 Sorento limited with the super light interior and god it was tough to keep clean.

Last edited by Little; 12-17-18 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 09:29 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

I have two 460L's with low mileage for sale for around $15k

My 07 460L "executive" has 95 000 miles and id take $14 000 usd for it

My 08 460L has about 75 000 miles and id take $16k for it

I am hoping to sell both and get into a 13+ , theres a lot of them flooding the market here and its hard to resist the interior upgrade
Old 12-17-18, 09:45 AM
Little
Driver

What colors the cars? Both interior and exterior.
Old 12-17-18, 10:38 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

both are the dark metallic grey , I forget the name now

The 07 executive has tan interior

The 08 has black interior

Both have the semi analine leather upgrades , both have air suspension , both are mechanically sound

both need a set of tires soon though

the 07 needs a front bumper respray from rock chips, and has a few small dings on the rear passenger door which can be removed with PDR
Old 12-17-18, 10:57 AM
Little
Driver

Sorry has to be black, red, or white in that order. Sounds like some killer cars too.
Old 12-17-18, 11:34 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Yeah the one in Boston is mine I have a child and cleaning light leather surfaces had not been an issue. You just need to do touch up cleaning every other week, ie vacuum and wipe surfaces down with Pledge spray, but I tend to clean up immediately whenever necessary. Black interior does hide dirt well but I've never considered buying black so I can hide dirt and stains, Ew!
The Standard Wheel Base (SWB) has plenty of room car seats etc. At 198-199 inches it is a big car. A long wheel base has 3 more inches A GS350 on the other hand which I had a couple years ago was tight with a car seat in back. So don't rule out a SWB one. I agree stay away from Air shocks which are extremely expensive to repair $1000+ a side parts and labor and AWD which has higher cost for front suspension parts etc. This forum is GREAT and it has helped me sort out all my wear and tear repairs with my LS460 at a minimal cost. My LS460 is mint now and drives like new. I'm ONLY letting it go for the right price

Personally I think with your 2nd child on the way and the fact that you need to finance a 8 to 10 year old car with a budget of $15,000, the LS460 may not be the wisest of purchase at this time in your life. Get a newer family vehicle that comes with a warranty included if you are not mechanically inclined. Unfortunately it may be something boring that you will have to drive. Remember you are making decision for the overall family so don't give into your luxury car urges. Of course it is easier said than done I WILL NOT be satisfied driving with my family on long trips etc in a non Luxury vehicle with at least 350hp. The LS460 has spoiled me. My next vehicle will be a 2013+ LS460. The wife can have her crossover suv

Last edited by JLAWS; 12-17-18 at 11:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (12-25-18)
Old 12-17-18, 12:06 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

If it has to be lwb then I can't help. I'm starting to look at newer models. I have an 08 LS460 with 73K, new tires, telios wheels, black on black, ML sound, and soon a new interior thanks to the good folks at Lexus. Haven't really thought about pricing as this is the first time I've actually discussed it period.
Old 12-17-18, 12:14 PM
Little
Driver

Originally Posted by JLAWS
Yeah the one in Boston is mine I have a child and cleaning light leather surfaces had not been an issue. You just need to do touch up cleaning every other week, ie vacuum and wipe surfaces down with Pledge spray, but I tend to clean up immediately whenever necessary. Black interior does hide dirt well but I've never considered buying black so I can hide dirt and stains, Ew!
The Standard Wheel Base (SWB) has plenty of room car seats etc. At 198-199 inches it is a big car. A long wheel base has 3 more inches A GS350 on the other hand which I had a couple years ago was tight with a car seat in back. So don't rule out a SWB one. I agree stay away from Air shocks which are extremely expensive to repair $1000+ a side parts and labor and AWD which has higher cost for front suspension parts etc. This forum is GREAT and it has helped me sort out all my wear and tear repairs with my LS460 at a minimal cost. My LS460 is mint now and drives like new. I'm ONLY letting it go for the right price

Personally I think with your 2nd child on the way and the fact that you need to finance a 8 to 10 year old car with a budget of $15,000, the LS460 may not be the wisest of purchase at this time in your life. Get a newer family vehicle that comes with a warranty included if you are not mechanically inclined. Unfortunately it may be something boring that you will have to drive. Remember you are making decision for the overall family so don't give into your luxury car urges. Of course it is easier said than done I WILL NOT be satisfied driving with my family on long trips etc in a non Luxury vehicle with at least 350hp. The LS460 has spoiled me. My next vehicle will be a 2013+ LS460. The wife can have her crossover suv
Haha small world. Yea that was me inquiring about your car over the weekend. You do have a nice car. Do you have an younger child or older? I need to do a rear facing carseat and in the mercedes and even our sorento it was kinda tight back there. I currently own a 2001 Mercedes E430 4matic that i've owned since 2004. I refuse to put another dime into this car as its been "Mercilous" since i've owned it. I refused to give up on her but i probably should have a long time ago. I could spend more on a car but we just don't want to spend more. I have cash but I won't use cash if i don't have to. We are going to be getting a 2012-2014 Honda Accord as the second car as we have an accord now that is at the end of its life. Its been an amazing car.

Also I do all my own work on cars. I used to have a small race shop on the side as well building mustangs. This car will more than likely be the secondary car and the newer honda, altima, etc will be the primary. I have a company truck for work so I don't drive any of our cars much during the week.

I may consider a short wheelbase if the right one comes along.

Last edited by Little; 12-17-18 at 12:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Little:
dlbuckls10 (12-17-18), sha4000 (12-19-18)
Old 12-17-18, 12:21 PM
Little
Driver

Any Pictures? What is being replaced in the interior?
Old 12-17-18, 01:32 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 308 Likes on 268 Posts

No reason you can't find an early model LS460 in your price range. I'd steer clear of the '07s as they had a multitude of niggling little problems that were ironed out by the '08-'09 models. Also, check the dash and vinyl armrest/door pulls VERY CAREFULLY as there have been all kinds of problems with them getting sticky/cracking and Lexus being reluctant to replace them (despite their "warranty enhancement" for this very issue). Most L models with the stitched armrest/door pulls didn't have this problem. Also do keep a couple of thou in reserve for likely repairs (control arms, brake actuators) and avoid the air suspension which was common on the L versions - lots of issues there.
Old 12-17-18, 02:51 PM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Little,
I feel very fortunate that I found and bought the car I did before you got to it. Last week I flew to Pittsburg from the Minneapolis area to pick up a 2007 one owner black on black LS 460L 80K miles for $13,000. Two sets of OEM 18" chrome rims with winter and summer tires. Reclining rear seat package, ML sound, RWD, no air suspension, and park assist. I'm a long time Mercedes guy and decided to switch to Lexus. I absolutely love the car. I drove back 880 miles in a straight 14 hours and it was super comfortable.
The people selling the car had such a great story, and made me feel so comfortable, that I bought the car over the phone. The only let down on arrival was that the HDD for the navigation was off and on inoperable. Currently working through that HDD/hard drive issue. Also just found out the water pump is weeping a little coolant; but I can do that myself for less than $200..Any '07 through '09 to my knowledge will sooner than later need a new HDD. Other then that, no let downs; a great car. I'm not telling you this to gloat, and really, one never really knows what a used car will bring; but rather to let you know they're out there.
Oddly enough, the car has the original control arms and they are still serviceable, by driving feel and inspection. The Lexus dealer just looked at them and didn't recommend replacement, which I figured they would. I too, wanted to stay away from AWD. In my research, I could find no aftermarket replacements for AWD control arms, only dealer parts. Which means about a 10 to 1 in parts cost. The other thing that shocked me is that the original brake actuator, which I expected to be noisy, is quiet as a mouse. In all my searching, I never saw a 460L without leather door panels. I suppose they're out there, but I don't think that will be a concern if you're looking at L's.
Good luck! I know you'll find a good one.
Old 12-17-18, 05:06 PM
Little
Driver

Damn nice find man. How did you locate the car? I have been using autotrader, cars.com, car gurus, Iseecars, autotempest. OK basically every car for sale site out there. I had been looking for a black on black LS430 custom luxury for almost 2 years and was just about to pull the trigger on one in Kentucky but I couldnt get a plane ticket out fast enough as I had just gotten back from Florida for vacation. I was so pissed I missed out on it. At least with the 460’s I have a better chance of finding something as the same body style for a few years and newer than any 430 I was looking at.
A
Oh yea and agree on AWD, my Mercedes has it and everything to with the front end is a nightmare. No more. I
Old 12-17-18, 06:24 PM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

As nuts as it sounds, I found it on Craigslist. I search nationally with searchtempest.com. It’s some kind of search engine that can look nationally. Just luck to find the listing. Kind of shocked nobody in the Pittsburgh area snapped it up, but according to the seller, the RWD scared buyers off. Sounds funny to say it, but the seller was a little old lady. She, and her husband bought it new in ‘07. Fast forward 12 years and they could no longer get in and out comfortably, so they wanted a Honda Pilot. They were advised by a young close family friend that they could do much better selling on Craigslist, then a trade, so he listed it for them and it became available. Fabulous people to deal with. Best car buying experience I’ve ever had. As I said, needs a new HDD and water pump, and not sure what’s around the corner, but happy to have it. There was a real nice black on black L in Rockford IL, one owner for about the same money but it was air ride and AWD. I passed once I saw the parts prices on AWD. The good news is I’ve seen a lot of L cars, ‘07, ‘08 with what I think is called package 2. That’s what I have. See this thread; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-packages.html . The touring package included air ride, so that’s out. I know the early cars have their problems but I gotta believe they’re pretty well sorted out by now.
Old 12-17-18, 06:49 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Little, since you can do your own work on cars and don't mind getting your hands dirty, then I highly recommend an LS460 ! I would not recommend one if you need to rely on a Lexus Dealership to work and have no connection with an Indy shop. What ever you get, with the exception on my LS460 expect to spend about 1 grand on parts to get the LS460 just right. Also If you want those touring 19 inch wheels which I think COMPLETELY transforms the look, expect to pay top dollar for them on Ebay. They are pretty rare and sellers know it.
Old 12-17-18, 07:11 PM
Little
Driver

Wish you were closer so I could take a look at yours and see if I like the gray. I am willing to drive up to 10-12 hours for the right car but I need to know if its something I want first. I’m going to try and find a few local with different color interiors by me so I get a feel for what I like minus the all black interior. Hard to tell from pictures sometimes as I thought the cashmere in the 430’s would be horrible so I never looked at them until one day I found one and sat in it and was blown away by the look in person.

Quick Reply: Getting into a LS460L for around $15-16K possible?