LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Control arm replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-18, 02:34 PM
Thomasin
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Control arm replacement?

When I went back to the dealer for tyre replacement, it was quite shocking that my service advisor found out all of the tyres were supposed to be used in a SUV like RX (I want to kill the previous owner!!).

Initially he said that "no big deal, we will just get the front ones replaced since the rear ones can endure another 10k miles".

He offered me a loaner to drive to work and called me back a few hours later telling me "not only are your front tyres severely worn, the control arms are also in a terrible condition".

It costs $4500 to get new control arms installed LOL. Will you guys fix that??

At first I thought the suspension could have been compromised. Indeed, I don't feel any difference! When I picked up my car, I asked if alignment was done but my service advisor said "No, it is not meaningful given the condition of the control arms." He then explained involving a lot of physics and technical terms which is way beyond my ability to understand. I then paid $600 and left the dealership. What else can I do?
Old 12-17-18, 02:41 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Bring car to independent shop for 2nd opinion. Buy parts online and have independent shop install them.
Old 12-17-18, 06:09 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Yeah, If the arms are toast an alignment would be a waste. Would not hold. Like said either buy your own parts and save or not.
Old 12-18-18, 09:00 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Get your control arms done...THEN the alignment.

No need to spend 4k+ for them either. Use aftermarket and take them to an indy to replace them. You'll save thousands.
Old 12-18-18, 10:21 AM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Hi

dont know where you are in TX but TLS in Euless Tx is a place I use now not the dealer. He has over 25 years with Toyota and his shop is clean and he is very professional.

My my car was under warranty when I had mine done along with rear air shocks. About 9500 at Lexus warranty price. Road frog is correct, don’t go to dealer for these as many experienced mechanics can do this very reasonable.

Good luck.
Old 12-18-18, 08:41 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Cubbylex
Hi

dont know where you are in TX but TLS in Euless Tx is a place I use now not the dealer. He has over 25 years with Toyota and his shop is clean and he is very professional.

My my car was under warranty when I had mine done along with rear air shocks. About 9500 at Lexus warranty price. Road frog is correct, don’t go to dealer for these as many experienced mechanics can do this very reasonable.

Good luck.
Euless Texas is where I graduated High School. Trinity Trojans !!!!! I miss Home.
Old 12-19-18, 04:03 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
I miss Home.
Wanna buy a house? I'm this close to moving. All it will take is one more bad thing to happen, and Friday does not look good.

My employer is intensely greedy and unbelievably cheap.
Old 12-19-18, 04:26 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Thomasin
When I went back to the dealer for tyre replacement, it was quite shocking that my service advisor found out all of the tyres were supposed to be used in a SUV like RX (I want to kill the previous owner!!)
First, the RX is not an "SUV". It's a tall Camry wagon, plain and simple. The LS outweighs it, in fact.

If the tires on your LS 460 are less aggressive than BF Goodrich All-Terrains, they're fine.

BTW, I put BFG A/Ts on my wife's RX 300, but the hum bugged her, so I put those on the '98 Jeep ZJ 5.9L we have and put some nice street Continentals on her car.

I'm curious, what tires were on there? Make and model, if you know, and what did they put on as replacements?

Initially he said that "no big deal, we will just get the front ones replaced since the rear ones can endure another 10k miles".

He offered me a loaner to drive to work and called me back a few hours later telling me "not only are your front tyres severely worn, the control arms are also in a terrible condition".

At first I thought the suspension could have been compromised. Indeed, I don't feel any difference! When I picked up my car, I asked if alignment was done but my service advisor said "No, it is not meaningful given the condition of the control arms." He then explained involving a lot of physics and technical terms which is way beyond my ability to understand. I then paid $600 and left the dealership. What else can I do?
Wait. So, even with a front-end so out-of-whack, it's tearing up tires, they put brand new tires on it instead of merely rotating front-to-back?! And those tires were $300 each? Plus, they didn't do anything to the alignment?!

This is criminal.

Was it Park Place or Sewell (if you live in the D/FW area)?

A couple of tips:

Don't use the dealer (ESPECIALLY that one) any more.
Never purchase tires from the dealer.

Finally, unless you're a gearhead, you're very unlikely to notice worn front-end bushes until they're effectively non-existent. I looked at the ones on my 'new' '12, and yeah, they'll last another year before slop starts forming, but I'd wager they'd not make noise for another 40K miles ('bout three years). I'm going to remove the ones in there and put proper urethane bushes in place of the 'rubber' ones, because they'll last indefinitely and firm up handling a little. If they're installed properly, lubed with silicone grease, they should never make noise unless there's a problem.

FWIW, because I'm going to do this, myself, I'll have all new front-end bushes which will never need attention, again, for $350. Granted, suspension bushes are a wear item, but these cars seem to be harder on bushes than any other I've owned.

How many miles on your LS?

BTW, to preserve the new shoes, I'd put the fronts on the rear and rears on the front.

I wish I could see what these 'terrible condition' control arms looked like.
Old 12-19-18, 05:02 AM
LuvmyLS
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

$4k is actually a GOOD price if they are doing all the arms. If you have RWD, you can get aftermarket arms, but if you have AWD, it is a dealer only part except for one of the upper arms. Lexus price for the arms are $350 to $400 each X 8 arms plus labor. I get the anger for this high repair, but it’s not your local dealer, it’s Lexus corporate.
Old 12-19-18, 06:22 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

So... how do you know your control arms need to be replaced (besides the dealer telling you)? I assume any mechanic could identify that... but what's the symptom: car keeps going out of alignment?
Old 12-19-18, 06:28 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

When I went back to the dealer for tyre replacement, it was quite shocking that my service advisor found out all of the tyres were supposed to be used in a SUV like RX (I want to kill the previous owner!!).

😂😂😂😂 gosh I don’t wanna be mean but you sure are easy.. dealers survive on guys like you...

what do you understand when he told you the tyres are for an rx? There’s no such thing as suv tyres... I am pretty damn sure it’s just some tyres with a higher weight rating than usual... which wouldn’t be a problem since this car is probably as heavy as the rx... someone can google...

i assume you dont know what size tires and letter rating and brand was on the car?

Is the car under warranty what year? If not under warranty why go to a dealer?
Old 12-19-18, 06:51 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Jdanielca, we have a '17 RX 350 AWD and a '12 LS 460 L. The LS weighs more by about 100 lbs.

NotFasty, alignment problems are one symptom, as is clunking noises (they're done for by then), but you can see the bushes in the lower arms and see if they're deteriorating. That's one thing I wanted to see while my car was still on the transport.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (12-19-18)
Old 12-19-18, 07:48 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
Jdanielca, we have a '17 RX 350 AWD and a '12 LS 460 L. The LS weighs more by about 100 lbs.

NotFasty, alignment problems are one symptom, as is clunking noises (they're done for by then), but you can see the bushes in the lower arms and see if they're deteriorating. That's one thing I wanted to see while my car was still on the transport.
thets what I thought so this suv wheels bs is just trying to F this clueless person over....
Old 12-20-18, 08:51 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvmyLS
$4k is actually a GOOD price if they are doing all the arms. If you have RWD, you can get aftermarket arms, but if you have AWD, it is a dealer only part except for one of the upper arms. Lexus price for the arms are $350 to $400 each X 8 arms plus labor. I get the anger for this high repair, but it’s not your local dealer, it’s Lexus corporate.
Good price? Compared to? I paid 1800 dollars in CANADA and that included labor AND the wheel alignment afterwards AND ball joints.
Old 12-29-18, 03:28 PM
Thomasin
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca

�������� gosh I don’t wanna be mean but you sure are easy.. dealers survive on guys like you...

There’s no such thing as suv tyres...

i assume you dont know what size tires and letter rating and brand was on the car?

Is the car under warranty what year? If not under warranty why go to a dealer?

Shame to say all I know is to enjoy the luxurious drive my car offers

As for the tyres Michelin, R19 that is what I remembered.

The car is bought without a warranty. I thought I could have counted on them...

Originally Posted by mckellyb
First, the RX is not an "SUV". It's a tall Camry wagon, plain and simple. The LS outweighs it, in fact.

I'm curious, what tires were on there? Make and model, if you know, and what did they put on as replacements?

Wait. So, even with a front-end so out-of-whack, it's tearing up tires, they put brand new tires on it instead of merely rotating front-to-back?! And those tires were $300 each? Plus, they didn't do anything to the alignment?!

This is criminal.

Was it Park Place or Sewell (if you live in the D/FW area)?

A couple of tips:

Don't use the dealer (ESPECIALLY that one) any more.
Never purchase tires from the dealer.

How many miles on your LS?

BTW, to preserve the new shoes, I'd put the fronts on the rear and rears on the front.

I wish I could see what these 'terrible condition' control arms looked like.
Actually it is my service advisor (SA) that mention the idea of "SUV tyres for RX" lol Now I wonder if these people are really trained or just morons like me?

The ~$600 I paid is the upfront price the dealer showed me including tyres, labour and tax.

I live in Houston and have always been servicing my cars at either Westside Lexus (where this car was bought) or Lexus of Clear Lake (where my LS430 was bought).

Actually I had the same thought as you do, my SA thinks a rotation alone is not going to extend the "life" of the tyres. I love my car more than myself...so I agreed to get new tyres

My car is a 2010 LS460 with 73k btw.

Last edited by Thomasin; 12-29-18 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Control arm replacement?