LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

First LS Qs

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 03:03 PM
RyanR
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First LS Qs

Greetings my fellow Lexus enthusiasts,

i ve had my mind set on buying an LS 460 (L) “half ultra” (after 2011 - since i ve read 2011+ models seem to have less problems) and i d like to ask for your help in solving some pre purchase questions:

Fyi : I m working in UAE (gcc) and most likely i ll be buying an US specs model (because that what’s flooding the used car market) since they are cheaper and can resist 50-60 Celsius degrees constant temperatures (average noon temps during may - august)

1. Where can i get a VIN number checked out for accurate details on the model and it s service history? (Paid or free website)

2. I m seeing cars (imports) with carfax and/or clean titles. I m assuming that it’s an export certificate saying that the car was not in an accident or at least in working conditions when it reached the customs. Which one should I be asking for specifically and what details should I be focusing?

3. I have an option to bid from used car (usa) dealers and import the car “for free” using a local dealer. While that is tempting, I don’t want to be picking through lemons and then have to wait 3-4 months until it reaches me. But maybe, you guys can recommend some states/dealers that provide full paperwork and service history ?

4. What are the top 3 mechanical issues to be looking out for at a visual inspection? Considering that I may not be able to bring my own mechanic to the uae local dealer.

Last edited by RyanR; 12-26-18 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-26-18, 03:48 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts

RyanR

Go to Lexus Drivers (link below), register than when you get a vin that you want to check go to add a vehicle. Plug in the vin then you can manage that vehicle and see it's entire service history. If it is not the one just delete that vehicle and add the next vin when you one you like.

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

Dennis
Old 12-26-18, 06:12 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

the top 3 things to worry about would be the control arm bushings

steering rack, make sure it doesn't make squeaky sounds or sound weird

brake booster, listen for clicking sounds when pressing the brake petal
Old 12-26-18, 07:56 PM
RyanR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
RyanR

Go to Lexus Drivers (link below), register than when you get a vin that you want to check go to add a vehicle...

Dennis
thank you very much
the service history is very detailed
for example: i ve checked one car and it has some interior electronics issues (replaced with used spare part) and last check was 2 years ago (meanwhile it s been sitting since the local dealer is reporting the same milleage as the service history)
Old 12-27-18, 06:27 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 479 Likes on 353 Posts

RyanR

That is the kind of stuff that the service history will show. It gives you a much better insight into how a given LS has been treated.

Dennis
Old 12-27-18, 07:13 AM
RussLS460
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

The service history is crucial and so is how the interior and exterior look. The two go hand in hand.
Old 12-27-18, 06:25 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanR
1. Where can i get a VIN number checked out for accurate details on the model and it s service history? (Paid or free website)

2. I m seeing cars (imports) with carfax and/or clean titles. I m assuming that it’s an export certificate saying that the car was not in an accident or at least in working conditions when it reached the customs. Which one should I be asking for specifically and what details should I be focusing?

I'll focus on these questions, and you may have to forgive my elementary discussion as I'm not sure how familiar you are with these topics. As mentioned the Lexus site will provide service history, but that will only be service done at Lexus dealers.
Carfax, Autocheck and other VIN reporting sites will also provide you with some service history if the shop was a participant. The way these VIN reports work is insurance companies, police departments, auction houses, Department of Motor Vehicles (individual states), dealerships, body shops, & mechanical shops may or may not participate in VIN reporting services. So these can best be used as a filter, it's no guarantee there isn't a negative occurrence in the vehicles history. This also goes the opposite way in that service work done may not be reported either. It doesn't mean these things didn't happen, they just weren’t' reported. In most cases these services will pick up on what would be called a salvage/branded title however. This means the vehicle was written off as a total loss by the insurance company due to accident or damage (flood, fire, etc). A vehicle with a "clean" title is simply saying that it isn't "branded" as a salvage title, which only means it was never deemed a total loss. It doesn't mean it didn't have an accident that was repaired or experience other damage. There are cases where a branded title can be "washed" back to a clean title, and this usually means the car title was transferred to a different (or several) states. This doesn't mean a car moving to another state is having it's title washed though, state movements happen all the time, for example when off-lease vehicles go to auction.
So back to your question, there is no official documentation that exists that can guarantee a car is free from accidents, damage, or in some cases a salvage title. You'll need to utilize resources available to make the best decision possible, however there really is no way to completely eliminate the possibility of getting a bad car. Ideally you're looking for a single owner car that has stayed in the same region for all it's life, and shows consistent service on both carfax and Lexus sites. Good luck!

Old 01-17-19, 07:50 PM
RyanR
Driver School Candidate

I have another Question... Since most 460s or 430s, that i found locally (in UAE), are not really to my liking and fitting my budget.
Where do you shop arround for used Lexus cars ? preferably online shops with international shipping.

For example
#1 https://www.autoauctionmall.com/used...ase-CO56875118 offer complete information about the car + VIN number + international shipping of 750$
#2 Salvagebid.com said that they can bid iaa cars for me (i had a thought of getting one that was hit from the rear) and they work with easyhaul.com for international shipping.
#3 https://www.carsforsale.com/lexus-ls...r-sale-C463242 i like their template (telling you the location of the car dealers... that way i can easily avoid northern cars) ... even though they don t offer VINs or direct international shipping.
Old 01-17-19, 08:36 PM
alexsea
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
RyanR

Go to Lexus Drivers (link below), register than when you get a vin that you want to check go to add a vehicle. Plug in the vin then you can manage that vehicle and see it's entire service history. If it is not the one just delete that vehicle and add the next vin when you one you like.

Dennis
Wow! You made my day! I can see a full history of my own vehicle including all services done and Lexus and Toyota! Toyota’s service is 1/2 price of Lexus with the same training for mechanics and parts available. I can see every complaint I made and their recommendations.