LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

The PO had perfect timing!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-18, 08:01 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Default The PO had perfect timing!

It's not catastrophic, at all, but in less than 1K miles of me driving it, my '12 L had the brake pad warning appear this morning.

I'd wager, at 77K miles, the front pads are OEM. The rears should be, but I've seen, in more than one service history, multiple rear pad replacements in under 100K miles. That's always raised an eyebrow. I think it may be related to the 'electronic' LSD, in that the brakes are used to send power to the opposite wheel instead of clutches in the diff.

Looks like I get to put the pads I want on it...and replace a sensor. At least I've done it once, previously, so it'll be quick and easy!

Hold on...I do have a full set of nearly-new front pads off my '08, but...oh, that's right, that car had the touring brakes on it, so no go. Bummer.
Old 12-29-18, 11:53 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
It's not catastrophic, at all, but in less than 1K miles of me driving it, my '12 L had the brake pad warning appear this morning.

I'd wager, at 77K miles, the front pads are OEM. The rears should be, but I've seen, in more than one service history, multiple rear pad replacements in under 100K miles. That's always raised an eyebrow. I think it may be related to the 'electronic' LSD, in that the brakes are used to send power to the opposite wheel instead of clutches in the diff.

Looks like I get to put the pads I want on it...and replace a sensor. At least I've done it once, previously, so it'll be quick and easy!

Hold on...I do have a full set of nearly-new front pads off my '08, but...oh, that's right, that car had the touring brakes on it, so no go. Bummer.
Interesting... And good that you have it down to a science!

Tangentially-related, I've always wondered how the brakes felt in the touring package. The standard setup gripped quite well (on my '08 L) as it was.

Oh, and wrong thread/delayed timing on my part, but congratulations! Love the car and color (I did have the predecessor to it, Black Sapphire Pearl - big fan).
Old 12-29-18, 04:54 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

It's not a fair comparison for me, because my actuator on the '08 was flaky. Putting EBC pads and rotors on it fixed the atrocious grabbiness of them, but they should have felt that way from the git-go.

So far, I can't tell much of a difference, but I've been rather gentle on this car, so far.

Thanks for the congratulations. So far, I'm quite pleased. The radio's behavior has me a little confused, but I'll figure out why it flakes out when on AUX...I hope, because I use that input quite a bit. I'm 90-95% there in getting around Toyota/Harmon Kardon nerfing the bass above about '45' on the volume scale. I merely need to spend some time either re-ripping tracks or adjusting levels so they don't clip.