LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sticky/cracked interior panel customer support program notification - ZLZ

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-21, 05:23 AM
Injera
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Different material

I just picked up a 2007 Ls 460L American specifications lucky for me the car is in really decent shape. The dash, arm rest and center is showing little wear but with the desert heat in my location I am sure sure it will eventually start to crack. For whatever reason the previous owner never had this recall taken care of and read the car is past the date to have Lexus do it. I am considering having all the effect interior pieces wrapped in Alcantara or Leather just curious if anyone has done I tried looking for pictures on the Internet but could not find even one. Does anyone know how much material I would need to cover all the parts?
The following users liked this post:
Parrokeete (11-02-21)
Old 09-20-21, 05:38 AM
Sibby1979
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Canada Sticky dash issues and chaulky white interior help needed

Hi - i have a 2007 Lexus LS460L . I have experienced the shiny sticky dashboard issue this year the most due to the heat, I rarely drive my LS (approx 3000km/year on avg). and feel that has delayed the sticky issue to occur. Lexus Canada said the warranty extension/interior replacement only applies to USA and not Canada which makes no sense as we get hot weather. Long story short they said it is wear and tear of the car and this can happen and my responsibility. The car literally looks like its out of a showroom as i keep it in mint condition.
Lexus Canada are not going to do anything to help me. My question is when the interior cools down it turns Chaulky white - see attached pics. I tried Aerospace 303 but makes no difference after a day it goes back to what you see.
Any help guidance would be appreciated as i plan on keeping the car but at the moment i am so disappointed every time i climb in.
For Lexus Canada to say this is normal wear and tear and is the joke of the century.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sibby1979:
lgirard50 (09-29-21), tomgarv (02-21-22)
Old 09-27-21, 05:19 PM
Armyboy90
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so is the recall still good now, I have a 07 LS460 that needs those replaced
Parrokeete (11-02-21)
Old 09-27-21, 06:38 PM
user 710812323
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Armyboy90
so is the recall still good now, I have a 07 LS460 that needs those replaced
It isn't. It expired earlier this year.
Old 09-28-21, 12:27 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

The ZLZ program has expired for any covered vehicle with a date of first use more than 10 years ago and is still available for covered vehicles with a date of first use 10 years or less ago. So as of today, the ZLZ program is available for vehicles with a first use on or after 9/28/2011.
Old 09-29-21, 01:37 PM
mjh7111
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I received mine. I missed the cutoff however, it is covered for 10 years from the date the car was put in service. I made that one by a few months. All of my items are in but one, the order was made in June so shouldn’t be long now. I’m in Nashville TN. Your local dealer can easily see when the car was placed in service. Good luck!
Old 09-29-21, 03:30 PM
lgirard50
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had the same problem for my entire dash for the past 4 years on my 2007 460L given car spent most winters in Florida for 1st 8 years. I rec'd similar response from Lexus Canada 3 years ago but with emphasis on legaleese that Lexus Canada is a different entity than Lexus USA, really eh? Then they had the nerve to write that I didn't understand the difference about different entity....no comments required so my final response to them stated 'same car from same factory for both USA or CAN market, why does 'Lexus' treat Canadian owners differently?........
My experience with local Lexus dealers is similar in that; Lexus dealer 'A' who performed fuel rail recall, I had to go back 4 times to fix loose items! 2. Other dealer wanted $2400.00 plus painting fee to change my two loose mirrors which had a tech bulletin in US to replace 2 nuts, that cost me $250 to fix in the US and this dealer had the nerve to tell me this was a CDN car spec and the tech bulletin didn't apply! *lol*
In August this year, I tried Sticky Dash Fix out of Australia, worked quite well but colour is off slightly and after I advised them, they went out and bought a steering column cover to colour match more precisely. They advised will resend coating once match complete so I can recoat and awaiting. I will use a mini roller next time though to minimize small streaks. Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by lgirard50:
Sibby1979 (11-02-21), tomgarv (02-21-22)
Old 10-04-21, 05:50 AM
Sibby1979
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lgirard50
I've had the same problem for my entire dash for the past 4 years on my 2007 460L given car spent most winters in Florida for 1st 8 years. I rec'd similar response from Lexus Canada 3 years ago but with emphasis on legaleese that Lexus Canada is a different entity than Lexus USA, really eh? Then they had the nerve to write that I didn't understand the difference about different entity....no comments required so my final response to them stated 'same car from same factory for both USA or CAN market, why does 'Lexus' treat Canadian owners differently?........
My experience with local Lexus dealers is similar in that; Lexus dealer 'A' who performed fuel rail recall, I had to go back 4 times to fix loose items! 2. Other dealer wanted $2400.00 plus painting fee to change my two loose mirrors which had a tech bulletin in US to replace 2 nuts, that cost me $250 to fix in the US and this dealer had the nerve to tell me this was a CDN car spec and the tech bulletin didn't apply! *lol*
In August this year, I tried Sticky Dash Fix out of Australia, worked quite well but colour is off slightly and after I advised them, they went out and bought a steering column cover to colour match more precisely. They advised will resend coating once match complete so I can recoat and awaiting. I will use a mini roller next time though to minimize small streaks. Hope this helps.
Thank you for sharing... yep i heard exactly the same thing that the cars made for Canada are different from those made for the USA.... yet they are made in the exact same factory....
I have ordered the Sticky Dash Fix kit also but am scared to do it but i dont see any other option. I still cannot accept that Lexus is not willing to stand by something they know is a known issue. I do not really care that they are specify which VINs are affected as they would reduce the number they would need to take care of. I think in the US, Lexus is more worried about lawsuits compared to in Canada.
Any tips or tricks or before and after pics when applying the Sticky dash fix? Did you do the glove box also? Are you in the Toronto area?
Old 10-05-21, 01:11 PM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetpea
YES! I received the same letter yesterday. I've been wondering what's up with my dash. I clean it with what the dealership sells, and a few days later, it looks, dusty and feels sticky in some spots. I chalked it up to the previous owner not taking care of it properly. Now I know that's not the case. Is Lexus obligated to inspect and repair at no cost the owner? I own a 2009 Lexus LS460. Sure do miss my 2000 Platinum Series LS 400 albeit 272,000 miles.
I just recently bought my 2007 LS 460L and the previous owner/s neglected to get the interior replaced. It’s sticky snd looks like fingernail scratches above the steering wheel and maybe had dogs in the back seats on doors by windows. Too bad for me the 10 years have passed.
Old 10-08-21, 10:13 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

Just curious so I'll ask here. Have any of you that have an LS that didn't get the ZLZ program fixed in time priced a non-ZLZ replacement? I'm debating buying a used LS for my mom but almost all the ones I see in my price range have the sticky problem and are no longer eligible. I'd like to know how much it would cost to replace all four door panels, the glovebox surround, the dashboard and the lower parts of the dashboard (i.e. like getting the ZLZ fix) so I can bargain with a seller.

Any help would be appreciated as I asked my dealer and they indicated they could not answer without the car in front of them.

Be safe,
Jeffrey
Old 10-09-21, 04:38 AM
Sibby1979
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Protholl
Just curious so I'll ask here. Have any of you that have an LS that didn't get the ZLZ program fixed in time priced a non-ZLZ replacement? I'm debating buying a used LS for my mom but almost all the ones I see in my price range have the sticky problem and are no longer eligible. I'd like to know how much it would cost to replace all four door panels, the glovebox surround, the dashboard and the lower parts of the dashboard (i.e. like getting the ZLZ fix) so I can bargain with a seller.

Any help would be appreciated as I asked my dealer and they indicated they could not answer without the car in front of them.

Be safe,
Jeffrey
Hi. The quote that i got from my dealer just for the parts is $27k CAD. At this price point the car would be a financial write off to be replacing parts - quote is attached.
I am waiting to do the stickydash fix over the panels to see if that would work.
LuxeLexus (10-24-21)
Old 10-09-21, 10:14 AM
Parrokeete
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Be safe,
Jeffrey
I suggest talking to an interior person about their charge to remove the dash and possibly the door panels and find a donor car with good parts maybe from a wreck yard - salvage yard. Could be workable.
Protholl (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 06:40 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

Wow... yeah that is pretty steep its twice the budget I'm using for the car. Thank you for the response.
Old 10-14-21, 06:26 AM
rick3242
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Be safe,
Jeffrey

Yes,

My cut off date was last summer. Never had an issue - that is until this summer. The car was parked on a fresh blacktop parking lot and it was a hot day here in Raleigh. The dash was fine but the armrests felt that they had a sticky gooey substance on them. I took my car to a local auto upholstery shop here in Raleigh and they are wrapping the armrests in Leather. The car will be ready today the cost is $1,000.00. I will post pictures once I get it back.
LuxeLexus (10-24-21)
Old 11-02-21, 01:38 PM
Sibby1979
Driver School Candidate

Quick update - i am in the process of using the StickyDash.com solution and have put on 3 coats so far and am pleased how it is turning out. I know the weather is colder and not has hot but will see how it reacts in the Summer next year - but this at least looks much better than what it did before.

Before

After
The following 4 users liked this post by Sibby1979:
AZGS4 (11-03-21), NiceLS460 (11-02-21), RandyV (05-01-24), tomgarv (12-06-21)

Quick Reply: Sticky/cracked interior panel customer support program notification - ZLZ