LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sticky/cracked interior panel customer support program notification - ZLZ

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-20, 11:31 AM
fwood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently purchased a 2007 LS460. Has sticky drivers side sticky panel at armrest and at the glass trim. Contacted Lexus and they said that has already replace the recall items. Went the Lexus dealership to buy a replacement door panel and the parts salesman to me to take it to the maintenance department first to see if Lexus would replace it. The maintenance department looked at records on the car and said that Lexus would repair the damage. They told me when to come back, gave me a loaner car for the day which I did. When I brought the vehicle back they said that Lexus has already performed the replacement at Henessey in Atlanta. They said the dash, glovebox, and console were replaced with no mention of the door items. The maintenance rep said I should contact Lexus and complain which the parts salesman echoed also. Interestingly, I noticed that the part number for the door panels have changed. Which makes me think that Lexus is aware of the issue and have changed either vendors or something. This the parts salesman echoed also. Has anyone else experienced this issue, and if so what did you do to resolve it?

Last edited by fwood; 07-19-20 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-19-20, 03:35 PM
fwood
Driver School Candidate

Before this issue I was a diehard Lexus owner. My 2005 LS430 UL I feel is still a great vehicle but going forward, I don't know. I am building a house now and after that I was planning on buying a later model. Are the later model anymore reliable. The transmission on the '07 LS was not that great. I had to rebuild it also.
Old 07-19-20, 07:49 PM
fwood
Driver School Candidate

Default Door Panel Replacement for LS460 Issue

Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement drivers side door panel for 2007 LS460? Lexus price normally $2181.17. Best price I can find is at Lexus of West Kendall for $1157.17. "HELP!"
Old 07-19-20, 08:59 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by fwood
Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement drivers side door panel for 2007 LS460? Lexus price normally $2181.17. Best price I can find is at Lexus of West Kendall for $1157.17. "HELP!"
I don't think you will find one cheaper. Unless you get a used one. Might be better to have an upholstery shop rebuild it.
Old 09-02-20, 10:30 AM
bevlee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tec80
Did anyone else get this notice in the mail? Extended warranty until March 31, 2021 regardless of mileage and for 10 years from vehicle's date of first use, regardless of mileage. Covers doors, upper & lower dash, and console.
I am so confused about the coverage for this issue. I have a 2007 LS460 (apparently this is one of the worst years for these sticky, peeling arm rests, console, dash, etc) but never received information about any kind of warranty. Until I looked at this site 3 years ago. I've been fighting ever since. Lexus ended up replace the console and the front glove compartment area, but the very WORST problem is on the arm rests. I don't believe I will ever get Lexus to do any more, but has anyone had any success with repairs? I want to sell my car, but want to have this issue fixed. Thanks!
Old 09-02-20, 11:32 AM
user 710812323
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm withholding my judgement so far. On one side, no other company would have a program to replace the interior of a 13 year old car. On the other, nothing has actually been replaced yet. So far, my doors have been put on order. I went in again recently to have them add the rest of the parts listed on ZLZ.

When I originally went in for this in February (in Wisconsin) the not-door panels looked a bit rough, but they were not sticky or cracking. I actually left my car out in the sun and heat about 2 weeks ago and found that the rest of the tan panels were very sticky and left my hands feeling greasy after touching them. Due to all the things going on, I hadn't actually let my car sit in the hot sun before then. I'd be sorely disappointed if the rest of the panels weren't added. It's not like my car isn't affected with the garbage material Lexus originally used. It just didn't manifest until recently.
The following users liked this post:
Santa01 (09-14-20)
Old 09-02-20, 11:57 AM
Mitleider
Driver

Received 81 Likes on 29 Posts

My dash, door panels, and glove compartment were all replaced without debate or delay, within 1 month from initial dealer visit. Gorgeous perfect job! The experience was nothing short of amazing. My belief is that maybe the experience varies dealer-by-dealer, some may be better acquainted with the exception process than others.
Santa01 (09-14-20)
Old 09-02-20, 12:51 PM
emthered
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey bevlee - There have been so many different stories and outcomes with the ZLZ recall and it varies wildly whether the work gets done in a timely manner. In my case it took 1 year 3 months to get it done. If you've not done so, consider registering your car's VIN# at drivers.lexus.com. It was only about a month after I did this that I got the official ZLZ recall letter from Lexus (I have a 2007). Getting the official letter helps. I've read some dealers wont even consider your car without the letter. Best of luck!
Old 09-07-20, 07:02 AM
bevlee
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for your response. I went to the site and discovered I had already registered, but had to reactivate. So now I wonder why I was never contacted. How long ago were you able to get the repairs done to the interior of your 2007 Lexus? I never received an official letter....
Old 09-07-20, 07:38 AM
emthered
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bevlee
Thank you so much for your response. I went to the site and discovered I had already registered, but had to reactivate. So now I wonder why I was never contacted. How long ago were you able to get the repairs done to the interior of your 2007 Lexus? I never received an official letter....
I received the ZLZ recall letter in December 2018, went to dealer for evaluation in January 2019. I then checked in with the dealer every 3 to 4 moths to check the status of the parts. By February 2020 nothing had been done so I called Lexus corporate to ask about the delay. In April 2020 my ABS actuator went out and had to bring the car to dealer for repair. Apparently the parts had arrived by that time as well and the ZLZ recall was finally done. I can understand why Lexus isn't motivated to do such an expensive recall on such an old vehicle but I think this could have been handled better. I am grateful that they finally got it done.
Santa01 (09-14-20)
Old 09-08-20, 02:37 PM
Julez
Intermediate

I too have been waiting since Dec 18. So far the dash and passenger door panel have been replaced. I was notified last month that the process has changed. When they ran my VIN, they said no more door panels were eligible, only the IP,glove box,and center console. At this point, I'd forgo all those(they get sticky in heat but aren't discolored) just to get my driver door panel replaced as that thing is down to the foam and is like fly paper in the summer.
Old 09-09-20, 06:10 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 186 Likes on 155 Posts

Ok I'm going to throw this out there. My 2008 LS460 is about 2/3 healed of the dash rot. I'm confident they will get most of it done. Now after saying that... I handed over the keys to my car to my mom when her car was rear-ended and was in insurance limbo. I drove my truck while she drove my car. She fell in love with the car and joked she'd never give me the keys back. She had my car for 2 months but now I have it back =)

So here is the hail-mary question: If I was to find a reliable 2008-2012 LS460 for sale and it had the sticky dash do I have a chance in hell of having it's interior replaced under the ZLZ? I'm pondering a Mother's day 2021 gift if I can get the work done.

Be safe.
The following 2 users liked this post by Protholl:
BigMau (12-18-20), Santa01 (09-14-20)
Old 09-09-20, 06:24 PM
WoodyTx
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fwood
Hi fwood,
check-out a site called car part-com or car parts-com -
that is where the salvage parts from cars are organized by just one sight- might get lucky and find the right color to match the rest of the car! Good Luck!
Old 09-13-20, 07:07 PM
Bud479ls
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Tec80
Did anyone else get this notice in the mail? Extended warranty until March 31, 2021 regardless of mileage and for 10 years from vehicle's date of first use, regardless of mileage. Covers doors, upper & lower dash, and console.
Wat if u bought it 2nd hand can u still get this extended warranty thing??
Old 09-14-20, 03:33 PM
Santa01
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

True, I went to Lexus Of Chattanooga. My interior should be here in a couple of weeks. No problems at all. 2008 LS460

Quick Reply: Sticky/cracked interior panel customer support program notification - ZLZ