LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2019 Toyota Century

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-19, 11:06 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 311 Likes on 270 Posts
Default 2019 Toyota Century

The top of the line, japan-only Toyota Century was recently reviewed on roadshow.com. Toyota's comment on the choice of engine was interesting and may sound familiar to those on this forum:

"Why didn't the Century make use of the latest LS' turbo V6 hybrid setup? The V8's extra smoothness and sound characteristics were deemed more befitting a car of the Century's station."

Uh-huh!

Old 01-01-19, 02:07 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

W
Originally Posted by sktn77a
The top of the line, japan-only Toyota Century was recently reviewed on roadshow.com. Toyota's comment on the choice of engine was interesting and may sound familiar to those on this forum:

"Why didn't the Century make use of the latest LS' turbo V6 hybrid setup? The V8's extra smoothness and sound characteristics were deemed more befitting a car of the Century's station."

Uh-huh!
It seems that the prestige of the flagship Lexus brand in the Japanese domestic market is less than the flagship Toyota brand. This is not surprising, as I believe the Lexus brand was created for other outside markets, particularly the USA, and I suspect that Toyota’s perception of what we want in a flagship vehicle is different from what the Japanese want.

ETA: It apoears that the Century is in a badge/brand/class of its own:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2...-drive-review/

Last edited by Gbp; 01-01-19 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-01-19, 04:15 PM
LeePowers
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Our LS' wish they were Centuries!

I just want to ride in a v12 model. I know I'll never gray import one.

The Century isnt it's own class,but the class it's in,all players can be counted on one hand,and have at least a finger left.
Toyota Century,Rolls Royce Phantom,Bentley Ghost,maybe Mercedes Maybach. There probably one I'm forgetting.

They dont promote this car,btw. People might review it,but it gets by on reputation alone. No print,no commercial. Govt big shots,yakuza bosses,and successful businessmen are completely cool with paying 100k+ for a hand built Toyota and I dont blame them.
I "settled" for an LS460 because I cant have a Century
Old 01-01-19, 07:07 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LeePowers
I just want to ride in a v12 model. I know I'll never gray import one.

The Century isnt it's own class,but the class it's in,all players can be counted on one hand,and have at least a finger left.
Toyota Century,Rolls Royce Phantom,Bentley Ghost,maybe Mercedes Maybach. There probably one I'm forgetting.

They dont promote this car,btw. People might review it,but it gets by on reputation alone. No print,no commercial. Govt big shots,yakuza bosses,and successful businessmen are completely cool with paying 100k+ for a hand built Toyota and I dont blame them.
I "settled" for an LS460 because I cant have a Century
Sorry, I should have specified that a class of its own was referring to the Toyota “carverse.”
Old 01-02-19, 05:57 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm happy that the Century uses essentially the same engine I have in my 2010 LS600hL (5.0L w/hybrid motors). That engine does deliver some amazing power with extreme smoothness, all nearly silently. With the CVT, it's often running at 1200 RPMs at 75 mph on the interstate. I'd love to drive the Century (or be driven in one) to see just how much smoother/quieter it is than my LS600hL...
Old 01-02-19, 07:47 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Yees! the styling is stuck in the dark ages on purpose. I'm surprised it doesn't have a column shifter

Still holding out on Lexus putting the 5.0 V8 in the LS500. Still not crazy about the front styling though either
Old 01-02-19, 11:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Sad, they chose the V8 for "extra smoothness and sound". That's about the best part of the older LSs.
Old 01-03-19, 10:57 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Having just moved from a 2017 LS LWB to a 2018 LS500 they both feel about the same as far as smoothness goes. The new twin turbo V6 is actually quite good. However when you go to accelerate from a stop that's when you hear the growl of the V6. I never heard much noise from my old V8, except for the direct injectors.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (01-03-19)
Old 01-03-19, 04:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Having just moved from a 2017 LS LWB to a 2018 LS500 they both feel about the same as far as smoothness goes. The new twin turbo V6 is actually quite good. However when you go to accelerate from a stop that's when you hear the growl of the V6. I never heard much noise from my old V8, except for the direct injectors.
I keep hearing different things from all over the place. Some people hate it, some have no issue with it.

I'm glad you enjoy it.
Old 01-04-19, 07:00 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

I went into this purchase with a lot of trepidation. This is my seventh LS. However after taking the car on a test drive and using it for a few hours I realized that engine noise and overall road noise weren't big issues. There is some amount of road noise when you drive on rough pavement, but on smooth pavement you barely hear any road noise. My last three cars were LS 460 L's so I'm quite familiar with how they ride and sound. Between all the sound proofing and active noise cancellation you don't hear much noise in the cabin, unless you are accelerating strongly from a dead stop.

The car has 600 miles on it. One big thing though - mileage is about 16 MPG - about the same as my last LS 460 L. So even though they went to a V6, I am not seeing better mileage with my normal driving around town.
The following 2 users liked this post by nsaldanh:
JLAWS (01-04-19), NotFasty (01-04-19)
Old 01-06-19, 02:14 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
I went into this purchase with a lot of trepidation. This is my seventh LS. However after taking the car on a test drive and using it for a few hours I realized that engine noise and overall road noise weren't big issues. There is some amount of road noise when you drive on rough pavement, but on smooth pavement you barely hear any road noise. My last three cars were LS 460 L's so I'm quite familiar with how they ride and sound. Between all the sound proofing and active noise cancellation you don't hear much noise in the cabin, unless you are accelerating strongly from a dead stop.

The car has 600 miles on it. One big thing though - mileage is about 16 MPG - about the same as my last LS 460 L. So even though they went to a V6, I am not seeing better mileage with my normal driving around town.
Wow you've had a lot of LS's! Any year your favorite?
I test drove a 19 LS500 on Friday and while I liked it, I didn't "love" it as much as my 2010 specifically due to the acceleration (not as peppy but more refined and gradual?) and ride-on-a-cloud kind of feel. I just promised myself my next car will have adaptive cruise & 360 camera (spoiled by my wife's LX570) and considering the G90 to the LS500.

To the Century, did notice their choice of using the LS600hl powertrain - was wondering if the LS500h would drive quieter but my dealership didn't have one (said they weren't a popular choice in TX)...
Old 01-06-19, 03:42 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Sound system - Best was the 2008 SWB, worst the 2012 LWB. 2014 and 2017 LWB were in between the 2008 and 2012. LS500 is similar to the 2017 LS460 L. All of them had the Mark Levinson system.

Ride - All the LWB were about the same. To tell you the truth I never saw a whole lot of difference between comfort mode on the Air ride models (all three LWBs had the Air Suspension) and normal mode.
LS500 ride is about the same as the LS 460 Ls.

Adaptive cruise is standard on LS500. It was an option on the LS 460s (and not very common on the SWB models. They were more common on the LWB models with the air suspension)

Acceleration - about the same. Depends on what mode you are in. If in eco mode then it accelerates gradually. If in Sport or Sport+ it will accelerate rapidly. I tend to NOT floor the pedal, so acceleration rates to 60 MPH don't really matter to me.

Seats: 2014/2017 seats were really good. 2018 has lots of adjustments, but not as comfortable.
Old 01-06-19, 04:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I'm sure the answer is "yes", but does this V6 provide enough torque to literally not crest 2200 RPM like the old V8s do?

That's my favorite part of the drive, the torque and that hum and purr of the V8. I seriously don't remember the last time my car went above 2500 RPM.
Old 01-07-19, 04:49 AM
LuvmyLS
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking

OMG, go out to your car, head to the nearest on-ramp and STOMP on that gas pedal! Life in an LS begins at 3000 rpm!
Old 01-07-19, 05:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LuvmyLS
OMG, go out to your car, head to the nearest on-ramp and STOMP on that gas pedal! Life in an LS begins at 3000 rpm!

Lol right, but do you have to reach 3000RPM to just waft around? Wafting is a big part of the luxury experience.

Light to moderate throttle my old V8 will upshift at about 2100 RPM and then stay there as it goes through the gears. It's so smooth and seamless it's almost like there a CVT transmission. (Thank god there's not.)

Quick Reply: 2019 Toyota Century