LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Actuator Failure at 97k mi & 10yr & 1month of service

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 05:55 PM
burgdorf
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Brake Actuator Failure at 97k mi & 10yr & 1month of service

Alright so I have scoured the forums for information and knowledge pertaining to the brake actuator failure/malfunction. What lead me here is on Friday 1/4/19 the dreaded brake light Christmas Tree lit up while driving (late christmas present I guess ) On Saturday 1/5/19 I dropped it off at Sewell Lexus of Dallas. When I dropped it off I did tell the rep that if in fact it is the brake actuator module I would like to request support from Lexus for the repair as that has not been done on my vehicle. The rep called me today and explained that it is in fact the brake actuator, he stated its leaking and that caused it to malfunction and be disabled. He quoted a price of almost $2700 and said he had reached out to Lexus for support and unfortunately the request was denied. I told him I would have to think about it and give him a call back. I contacted Lexus corp myself and am awaiting a call back from the field rep at the latest tomorrow to determine if any support will be provided. I am also having the front end looked at as the car is pulling to the right and I have been experiencing some vibration from the front end(that has bought me some time as well to decide what to do), (I recently replaced all front control arms at an indy shop).
I logged into my account on Lexus owners site and the vehicle in service date appears to be 11/25/2008 that would put the ten year in service at 11/25/2018 ( from what I read the extended service bulletin covered until 150k or 10yrs in service whichever is first). I know that technically I am out of the ten year time frame for repair at 100% however I am very frustrated that this has come up only a month and 10 days out of the term for full replacement. I have heard the "sqwuak" for some time I just felt it would last longer than it has. If I had drove the car harder or braked different it likely would have been replaced at 100% covered within the ten year in service term. Am I S.O.L. or is there anything else I can do? The car has apprx. 97k mi. Any support or insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by burgdorf; 01-08-19 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Wrong year
Old 01-07-19, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

If you stay polite, and firm with the rep my guess is they will offer you something...
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (01-07-19)
Old 01-08-19, 05:05 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The second you get angry or insulting in this situation you'll lose, so stay professional and continue to point out this is an acknowledged problem by Lexus. I can tell you it takes a lot of failures for any manufacturer to offer an extended warranty on a part, so the fact that it happened and you're only 1 month beyond should help your case. However, they can state you're out of warranty and out of luck which is technically true. If it comes to that you can counteroffer with splitting costs, paying for parts or labor etc. My guess is that's going to be your outcome, they offer to cover the part or labor and you're on the hook for the other. Best of luck getting it all covered.
Old 01-08-19, 05:33 PM
burgdorf
Driver School Candidate

I spoke to a rep this afternoon and he straight out said there would be no support offered, I remained professional and asked a lot of questions. He continued to refuse any support for replacement and basically said we have determined you are not a brand loyal customer. I am relatively new to Lexus and plan to remain a customer (the only reason I bought this car was because of how much my wife and I liked her gx470). but this issue accompanied with control arms and melting panels really burns me up. After much conversation and him basically saying the same thing five different ways I asked for his supervisors information, he would not provide it and said he would have them give me a call within the next business day. Quiet honestly I do not expect them to pay 100% of the cost but I do think givin the circumstances something should be offered for support. We will see.... thanks for the comments and support.
Old 01-08-19, 06:09 PM
Outofspec
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

They determined you were not a “Brand loyal customer “. It makes me want to puke. Maybe you should tell him Lexus isn’t a customer loyal brand? What he really means is that you don’t wander into the dealership every three years with a fist full of cash, trade in your car for the newer model and get your brains beat out with depreciation so they can keep the party going. If it’s any conciliation, I’m a reformed Mercedes owner and there’s an even wider river of tears on the Mercedes forums around known issues that cause the secondary market huge heartburn. As Pwrdbym noted, this must be one big issue for them to extend this warranty 10 years or 150K; and then bust your chops for a month and 10 days?.At the very least, they should offer these actuators to anybody that needs one at dealer cost, and beat up their manufacturer for special pricing on them for the trouble they’ve caused. I’ve been a bottom feeder in the luxury used car market for years. Maintenance and part replacement is expected, but design flaws on inordinately expensive parts that should at least last 100,000 miles is infuriating. Good luck!
Old 01-09-19, 07:13 AM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the “sqwuak” you referring to different than the clicking noise. I know there is nothing wrong with the clicking noise but I am starting to hear a different noise when braking. Almost like my brake pedal needs lube or something.
Old 01-09-19, 11:15 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

An LS460 is a "luxury" car folks. Buy them used and without a warranty at your own risk. Part breakdown and fail. Parts are more expensive if they are advanced and have electronics involved. If the brake actuator was a basic brake booster or brake master cylinder that cost $250 then there would be little complaints. I am the 4th owner of my LS460 and it did not fail for previous owners when they owned it. If course as I write this, mine will fail the next time I go out and drive

I see the part online for new for around $1000-$1200. I don't see why a certified non Lexus Dealership mechanic would no be able to install it if you provided the part or you take it to a Lexus Dealership and pay labor only. There are alternatives to laying down and agreeing to pay $3000. Same goes for taking your car to the dealership to pay thousands to replace control arms when you can source the part yourself and get any mechanic to do them.

I hear a lot of folks say I should have gotten an LS430, well you have get a $1200 timing belt service done on those or you risk losing your engine. Then it's pretty much a parts car. Also door lock actuator are notorious for going bad after several years and if you go to the dealership and fix it is going to be around $500-$700 a door.
NotFasty (01-09-19)
Old 01-09-19, 11:19 AM
burgdorf
Driver School Candidate

Julez the sound you are describing is definitely what I was hearing, best of luck. Be prepared to replace it in about 2 months time.
Old 01-09-19, 11:30 AM
pappy97
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

OP:

I know your intent is to get Lexus to pay part of it no matter what, but have you tried taking your car to an independent Lexus mechanic (Davenport Motors both in Dallas and Plano come to mind) to get an estimate from them? They are usually cheaper (much cheaper) than the dealership and the guys there used to work at Lexus dealerships and are well-regarded. If you can't get Lexus to pay any portion, you might as well get a a discount by going to an independent Lexus mechanic.
Old 01-09-19, 11:33 AM
burgdorf
Driver School Candidate

JLAWS the issue for me is not that parts will fail and this is a luxury car, I fully agree with that statement. The issue is that this part is an integral part of the braking system, without it you have no ABS, no skid control, no anti sway precautions, and probably more. With that being said it then falls into a NHTSA concern in my book as all cars are required to have abs as of sometime in the 90s. Those of you that have to get it repaired need to report it to NHTSA so there can be a recall issued.
The issue for me is that the company acknowledges the part is faulty by redesigning it around 2011 and again multiple times, and issuing a “service bulletin” “as a good will warranty”. When in reality they are just trying their best to get out of a recall situation and bad PR for the company. A lot of these cars are going to be coming out of the ten year in service warranty and a lot of them are going to need this part, it is unsafe to drive the care without the module functioning and therefore the company needs to issue a recall for said part as they have already acknowledged it’s an issue. Unless they are not in the pursuit of perfection in which case they just leave all previous or maybe “new” used car customers out to dry, either way it’s not ok in my book.
REPORT TO NHTSA IF YOU HAVE TO REPLACE IT
Old 01-09-19, 11:48 AM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I know that Lexus has no requirement to pay for any part of your actuator, but I'd be p*ssed too if it died one month out of warranty (and was a known bug).
Old 01-09-19, 12:16 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Question, Yours lasted 10 years, is that considered unacceptable for a part and was your actuator deemed faulty? What would you have been ok with? If it lasted 2 more years and or failed at 150K miles?

Compare the same year Mercedes S550, BMW 750, or Audi A8 and the repair cost that pop up owning those brands, hands down I'd take the Lexus all day. Also how much "Good Will" do you thing the other brands offer?
Old 01-09-19, 12:24 PM
burgdorf
Driver School Candidate

​​​​your missing the point JLAWS, and it seems like Lexus has your number with the term “goodwill warranty extension”. The whole point is that this part failing is a safety issue and should be handled as such and it has not. It should have been replaced long ago back in 2011 when they redesigned the part. Instead the company decided to wait it out and see how many people would come forward and hush them with a goodwill warranty extension. I have read in much detail regarding this issue and I am completely convinced that is the case. Many customers have brought their cars in within the timeframe making noises that show the failure is immeninet and the company said well it hasn’t failed yet so you do not qualify that to me is postponing at the risk of safety of their customers and I’m not ok with that. Especially for a world class companies supposed “flagship” vehicle. The ls430 was great the ls 460 seems to have missed the boat on reliability even if the motor and trans is strong these issues cannot be dismissed.
Old 01-09-19, 12:58 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Guess not. So buy the brake actuator online, get it installed, then enjoy your LS460 for the next 100K miles with regular maintenance in between
NotFasty (01-09-19)
Old 01-09-19, 01:01 PM
pappy97
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

have you tried taking your car to an independent Lexus mechanic (Davenport Motors both in Dallas and Plano come to mind) to get an estimate from them? They are usually cheaper (much cheaper) than the dealership and the guys there used to work at Lexus dealerships and are well-regarded. If you can't get Lexus to pay any portion, you might as well get a a discount by going to an independent Lexus mechanic.
So I take it the answer is no to my question earlier today? While you keep fighting with Lexus, you should get a quote from an independent Lexus mechanic.

Quick Reply: Brake Actuator Failure at 97k mi & 10yr & 1month of service