LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rear view mirror brightness

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19 | 01:45 PM
darcys
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear view mirror brightness

Hey everyone
I searched the forum before posting ,hoping I would find an answer to my situation, but no luck. My issue is withthe bright lights on some of the newer cars. I might be more sensitive than some, but it feels like my rear view and side mirrors do not do a very good job of dimming. In reading other posts, I can tell my little green light comes on, so I think the auto dimming is active, but again, not terribly effective. One post suggested having the rear shade up, which isn't a bad idea, but not sure that will help with the side mirrors. Right now, I am adjusting them all to where I cannot see out of them when I have someone behind me with bright lights. I'm not even talking about after market lights, just newer cars with bright lights, or the occasional jack *** with high beams on. The car is a 2014 LS 460 base model with the tech package.
any suggestions would be appreciated
thanks
Darcy
Old 01-08-19 | 01:53 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

is your rear window tinted? if it is then the auto dim won't work.

the side mirrors only dim if the inside mirror dims, the sensor is in the inside mirror.

the mirror works like this, there are 2 sensors, a light sensor, which is on the front of the mirror, the side facing your windshield, it is white and on the right hand side. then there is a brightness sensor embedded in the top center of the glass.

when the light entering the front sensor is low and when the light entering the glass sensor is bright, the mirror dims. If the light to the front of the car is brighter than the light entering the glass sensor, the mirror will not dim.

--

Since I have always limo tinted my rear window, auto dim seldom works well for me, so my solution was to get one of those laptop camera covers, and cover the light sensor on the "front" of the mirror, this fools the mirror into thinking that any light hitting the inside mirror is to bright, so it completely darkens.

this is the one I got, as it slides so I can easily reach around the mirror to open or close it as needed:

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Santa01 (09-30-20)
Old 01-08-19 | 01:59 PM
darcys
Driver School Candidate

no, no tinting. I assume the amount of dimming is not adjustable? I just don't think it dims enough for me and I need some kind of solution. If there is nothing electronic available I am just going ot put some film on both my side mirrors and my rearview mirrow
thanks again
Darcy
Old 01-08-19 | 02:05 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by darcys
no, no tinting. I assume the amount of dimming is not adjustable? I just don't think it dims enough for me and I need some kind of solution. If there is nothing electronic available I am just going ot put some film on both my side mirrors and my rearview mirrow
thanks again
Darcy
the mirrors get quite dark in their full tinted state, equal to about 35% window film tint, while there is no human adjustment, the system will only tint as much as it "thinks" is needed to offset the incoming rear glare/light. So it does tint in stages so to speak.

try this. get a small piece of electrical tape and tape the white sensor on the front part (part facing the windshield) of the mirror and wait about 30-45 seconds, even in broad daylight, the mirrors should go to their full tint appearance, as the sensor is not recording any incoming light. This will tell you 1. if they are working, and 2. if working, allow you to see how dark they get when fully active.

this is why I use the slide thing I posted above, so in daytime they are not tinted, but at night they are completely blacked out, as with my tinted rear window I only get a light dimming if any without it.

Last edited by mjeds; 01-08-19 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-08-19 | 02:11 PM
darcys
Driver School Candidate

okay, will try the tape, thanks for the suggestion