LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Deal on 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-19, 06:26 PM
Rscottys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deal on 2008?

I sold my first Lexus (1993 LS400) several years ago and have been jonesing for another one ever since. Oh, the lessons we learn...
Anyway, I’ve got a bead on a 2008 with only 28k miles for less than $15k. All service done at dealer up through 25k. The deal is, it’s got a branded title due to theft with no apparent damage due to this. Records show it was recovered in less than a week. The car is CLEAN inside and out with only a few noticeable scuffs on exterior, 8+/10. Interior is easily a 9+/10. The title classification doesn’t bother me nearly as much as what stance Lexus takes with such things.
Any insights or words of wisdom before I pull the trigger? Is this a decent deal?
vehicle is black sapphire over ivory interior with options CP (comfort), NV (nav), PA (park assist), PP (power doors)
Old 01-13-19, 03:56 AM
TriC
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 200 Posts

Typically, a car with a branded title is worth one-third to one-half less than one with a clear title. Plus, of course, it can be difficult to sell when the time comes. Here, if you're going to drive it into the ground, this could work out well IF you can buy it right.

Don't understand your concern about the "stance" of Lexus itself.
Old 01-13-19, 06:10 AM
Rscottys
Driver School Candidate

TriC, thanks for this datapoint. I think the price point I have negotiated thus far puts me in the range of your suggested 33-50% discount based on my research and shopping for the past several months, but would appreciate input from you and others.
Regarding the Lexus comment, my concern is any long-term warranty items. With the age I doubt there is much covered now, but have been reading about the sticky interior replacements being extended to more models. This vehicle doesn’t appear to have that problem now, but one never knows. So, in general, does Lexus care about title status when handling warranty discussions?
Old 01-13-19, 07:06 AM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Over the years I've had warranty work done on a variety of vehicles. I've never had the manufacturer, or dealer, ask to see my title.

If you plan on owning the car long term, I think it's it's a great deal.
Old 01-13-19, 05:10 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I have no idea about warranty and title status, but I myself have an ‘08 with rebuilt title (purchased 2 years ago with 89k miles for $13k), and 32k miles later, the car is running great. Couple minor issues here and there, but that’s to be expected regardless of title. If you plan on driving the car for at least few years, even if you have to let if go for $5k 5 years from now, your yearly depreciation is still pretty low.
Old 01-13-19, 07:03 PM
Rscottys
Driver School Candidate

I really appreciate the perspective of frequent forum users and thanks for the feedback. So what are the first 3 things I should consider doing to a near cherry 2008 when I get it home?
Old 01-13-19, 09:39 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

As long as you think the car is discounted enough with the branded title. The issue of course is selling it on when you're done with it, because once someone sees a total loss for theft via the VIN report, a car on fire going airborne into a lake with 47 police cars in pursuit is what's going through their mind. And your assurances of, oh it was recovered with no damage, isn't going to mean much.
Old 01-13-19, 10:23 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 151 Posts

If the cars interior panels die before 2021 that car is not covered as far as I know. If all are bad it’s an easy $10k.

my center console cover is worn. $400. My steering wheel leather edge is worn. $2k at a deal.

the low miles if everything interior wise is new condition would make it tempting.

if it’s worn and the door panels are cracked at all and you are picky I would pass.

my front seats bottom leather is worn. Way too much money to replace.

i did find a new condition used steering wheel cheap.
Old 01-15-19, 06:53 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told that most of insurance company will not accept branded title cars, if they do but when you have accident that your car is totaled then they will only pay 1/2 of the car value. Also dealer won't honor recall, etc... ?????
Old 01-15-19, 07:06 AM
jaishanker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stasek
I have no idea about warranty and title status, but I myself have an ‘08 with rebuilt title (purchased 2 years ago with 89k miles for $13k), and 32k miles later, the car is running great. Couple minor issues here and there, but that’s to be expected regardless of title. If you plan on driving the car for at least few years, even if you have to let if go for $5k 5 years from now, your yearly depreciation is still pretty low.

hi , which model is your vehicle ? Wats the odo wen u purchased the car ? Was the car involved in a major accident.....can you share some images of your car. Thank you
Old 01-15-19, 09:33 PM
stasek
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jaishanker
hi , which model is your vehicle ? Wats the odo wen u purchased the car ? Was the car involved in a major accident.....can you share some images of your car. Thank you
i don’t have any pics available, but if you look at my profile and search my posts, the first ever post has some additional info. The car had 88/89k miles on, and the impact was on driver side front fender - none of the airbags deployed.